Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. We are new to this forum and I hve never owned a retriever before. Cody is not like any pup I hve had before. I read all these posts how to survive..But whats wrong with my boy. Yes he plays , but he is such an old soul. So quiet. Hassle free. Is he unhappy ? Any one who can tell me what to expect would be great

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright I'll pile on here, maybe someone will find the info useful.....

- Bully Sticks are much less expensive on Amazon (approx. $2 vs. $4 at most pet retailers). I like Merrick Wishbones.
- Not to state the obvious but a brush is a good item :)
- NO Greenies? As someone said to each their own, but I found it interesting that Greenies were NOT recommended by my pups breeder, apparently lots of surgeries as a result of greenies. I don't know, but I do know that if you go in most pet retailers you'd think greenies are the best things since sliced bread with the displays.
- Ear cleaner, you can make a quick home based one, or purchase....errr I think it's Zymox
- For convenience, another crate - perhaps a soft one and a wire one. When your pup is past the fear period and has it's shots, this makes taking your pup places via car so much easier, improving socialization.
- Stainless Steel Bowls
- Kyjen Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Toy for Dogs (incredibly popular toy)
- Nail Clippers or Dremel

Okay getting into general stuff, apologies, got carried away - congrats to any new puppy owners!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks so much for the list. Really thinking about getting the bully stick. Luna is an avid chewer and chews through pigs ears quicker than you can blink! Can you buy them at your local petco?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome article! I had most items but will get the rest. It is reassuring to know I can give our girl the bully sticks. She loves 'em and they keep her busy for a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
10 product you must have to survive puppyhood! Trying to open this link & can't open!
Help! Day three of having a 8 wk old! Any suggestions for not wanting to be held and pin
Teeth wounds:-/

·
Registered
43 Posts
All great for puppies! Except our puppy loves the bitter apple spray as did my last golden. We've also upgraded to the extreme chewer Kong which seems to be holding up for the moment. We have quite the spirited puppy :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone! We are getting an 8 week old puppy soon and have never had a dog before! Need help! Our first concern is potty training. The puppy's crate will be in our 1st floor. To take him outside for potty training, we have 3 options: out the kitchen door, but that leads to deck with wooden stairs, out the front door (2 concrete stairs but spaced out), down to basement on carpet stairs and out basement door. Which is easier for a puppy? Our backyard is fenced, so if he goes out the kitchen or basement will be in fenced yard so I can let him potty and easy to bring back inside. Out front door will need to attach leash. How much time before they give the hint hat they will "go" and when they actually do? Also, any hints on how to potty train are greatly appreciated. I understand there will be a few accidents, but hoping they are FEW and get done fast with potty training .
Thanks everyone !!!! Any other puppy hints also appreciated! I loved the article about the "ten products to help survive puppyhood"!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

Were going to bring home our pup in three weeks and I would love to read the article, "10 products to help survive puppyhood!".
It appears that the link no longer works. Is it possible to post the article again.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for misspelling "We're" in previous post

Hello,

We're going to bring home our pup in three weeks and I would love to read the article, "10 products to help survive puppyhood!".
It appears that the link no longer works. Is it possible to post the article again.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tried to read this article and the link no longer works. Can anyone remember the 10 items without having to read the entire thread?

61 - 80 of 116 Posts