2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Female Golden Retriever, Light Golden
Born May 09
CKC Registered
Shots
Not fixed
Toronto, ON

Please no private messages, would like to get forum input as to who I give the dog to. Just to make sure she doesn't end up in a puppy mill :mad:

Will post pictures and videos shortly...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I would first contact the breeder you got her from. A lot of breeders state in their contracts that the pup must be returned to them in the event that you can no longer keep the dog, so they should be your first point of contact. If that is not the case or if they do not want her back, I would contact a local rescue. They can find her the perfect home.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would first contact the breeder you got her from. A lot of breeders state in their contracts that the pup must be returned to them in the event that you can no longer keep the dog, so they should be your first point of contact. If that is not the case or if they do not want her back, I would contact a local rescue. They can find her the perfect home.
Ditto that.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Who is your breeder? Like Jo said, they might stipulate in their contract that they must take her back. If she's from a BYB, chances are there wasn't a contract. I would also contact the local GR rescues. Our Canadian members should be able to provide their contact information. I'd love to take her- but we're about to move and things are a little hectic here. ;)

No matter where she goes, I would really suggest getting her spayed so you don't have to worry that she'd be used for breeding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

I am also trying to contact the breeder, though there was no contract and highly doubt that the breeder will take the doggy back.

Nothing against the local rescue, but I don't want her to stay there, who knows who will take her and how long it will take them to find her a new home.

So, until I can find a good home for her, she will have to do with a tiny backyard.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Nothing against the local rescue, but I don't want her to stay there, who knows who will take her and how long it will take them to find her a new home.
A rescue would place her in a foster home until a permanent home is found. It's not like a shelter where she would be locked up in a kennel with little human interaction. Rescues do amazing work and are great at finding homes for dogs. They will also have her spayed before sending her to her new home. Believe me, a 10-month-old Golden won't have to wait very long for a forever home. We have a lot of people on this forum who provide foster homes for rescue organizations.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Please contact the Canadian Golden Retriever Rescue and Adoption Service Inc. They take care of Golden in homes with families until they find an adoption for them, they are not a shelter. Have a conversation with them about how they operate and see if you would be happy with how they would take care of your girl, and how they screen and choose adopters. I think you will like what you find when you talk to them.

I agree with you that a shelter is not the way to find her a home.

http://www.golden-rescue.net/main/

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
http://www.golden-rescue.net/ Is the website for the Canadian Golden Retriever Rescue group. There really aren't that many goldens (in comparison to some of the rescue groups in the US) that are available for adoption in Ontario so she will be picked up very fast by a wonderful family that will be heavily screened by the rescue! Especially being a younger age, she won't be there for long at all.

Please consider the rescue route, they are run by amazing volunteers who dedicate their time to finding the best possible care for their dogs - for both temporary foster homes or a permanent homes! Like someone else said, they will spay her prior to leaving their hands so you will not have to worry about her landing in the hands of a puppy mill!

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I think the rescue is the best bet, unles syou find her a home, if they can take her they will give her a foster and search for the best home if you don't have time. Sorry you have to give your dog up.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
What reason are you rehoming her? I think this might be helpful to know. If you're just rehoming because of a small backyard... many dogs do fine with a small yard. You'll just have to compromise with more walks, off leash time at dog parks, and doggie daycare. Something to think about. However, rescue is the way to go if you still need to give her up. Rescues aren't an animal shelter, the pets are kept in a home. I really agree with what everyone has said about rescue, please pursue this avenue.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Maybe someone here will take her. I would post pics and reasoning for rehoming her. Good luck. I hope you find a good home for your girl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts