Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a 65 lb. 10.5 month old beautiful golden boy (not neutered but we plan to after he is 1 yr). Due to COVID, I am working from home and I am wondering how much time outside of his crate he needs/should have to be healthy. He currently gets several potty breaks a day plus a 30 minute- 1 hour walk daily. He also has out of crate time in the house when he can be supervised for about three 30 minute stints throughout the day. He sleeps from 8 pm - 7 am in his crate at night.

I would like to have him out more, but with working from home I need to be at my laptop and cannot supervise him as he needs. Is this enough time or should I be attempting to add more time out of the crate?

Thanks,
Anna

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Shala was out of her crate full time when I was home from baby puppy-hood, but I have an open-concept one floor main area and could baby gate off the bedrooms. Are you in a situation where you could have him in the room where you are and close or gate off the door? That's what I would do. At age 10.5 months, he should be fully house trained and reliable - but he may not be over his chewing phase? Is that what you're worried about? It's definitely good to keep supervising then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I do have a gated off open area but I am worried if I am not watching/supervising him that he will chew on furniture or the island/cabinets in the kitchen. Like all Goldens, he loves to chew/have something in his mouth even when I bring out several chew toys for him he seems to want to move on to more "interesting" things than what I give him out of his toy bin!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you puppy proof your work area enough that he can hang out with you while you work sometimes? My puppy is 7 months and does well in my home office area -- I have lots of toys for him and he's learned to settle and nap or chew on something quietly while I'm working, or sometimes we play a low-key game of fetch while I'm on a call. At this point he is very rarely disruptive unless he needs to go out. I do crate him in another room if I have a Super Important Meeting or something that absolutely can't be interrupted, but for normal work time he's a lovely companion.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but I'd also mention that with 2020 being 2020 and so many people working from home, it's probably perfectly OK to have your puppy make cameo appearances in a zoom (or equivalent) meeting now and then. I think nearly all workplaces have become much more accepting of pets and kids popping in and out of virtual meetings. I often have meetings with babies or pets in the background and nobody blinks an eye anymore. Just yesterday in the chat box I was asked to adjust my camera so my co-workers could see the puppy better!

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Yes. I do have a gated off open area but I am worried if I am not watching/supervising him that he will chew on furniture or the island/cabinets in the kitchen. Like all Goldens, he loves to chew/have something in his mouth even when I bring out several chew toys for him he seems to want to move on to more "interesting" things than what I give him out of his toy bin!
100% you are doing the right thing not allowing him to be unsupervised. And Ruthalaska just basically took all the words out of my mouth above! :) If you can have the pup in the same room with you, I totally agree that your colleagues wouldn't mind seeing him on a Zoom call. I do interviews and warn my subjects that my dog might bark in the middle of it, and they usually laugh and say their kids or dog might do the same. And my colleague's cat made an appearance on TV the the other day when she was doing a live hit. It's all just part of work in 2020!

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I am working from home and want my 11 mo old pup with me but under control so not needing constant attention, I tether him on a long lead (about 10 feet) near me. He has access to his bed, multiple toys, water....and me!

He actually enjoys this and multiple times during the day he will return to this space when not tethered as his comfort zone.

i would never leave him tethered without supervision but when in the same room I find it encourages calmer behavior and let’s him spend good time with me instead of being in the crate. We are getting to the stage where we will try him without the tether and he is really pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts