Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!!! HELP... I have a 1 year and 1 month old female golden who is so precious (aren't they all though).. She has been eating Merrick Puppy Grain Free since we picked her up at 8 weeks old. We switched her (gradually) to Merrick Adult Grain Free about one month ago - have tried the various flavors as the chicken didn't seem to agree with her (itching). Settled on the Salmon. (I should add that she went into heat at 10 months and didn't eat as much for a few weeks at that time either). She has started scratching more, whining/crying for no apparent reason and eating maybe 1- 1 1/2 cup of food a day. I even attempted to put a small amount of canned Merrick with the kibble. That worked for two meals but that was it. She is still playful, energetic and pooping/urinating normally.

Any suggestions? Should I be real concerned? Thank you for your help. I'm a nervous wreck... :crying:

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,601 Posts
I'm not a believer in the whole "Grain Free" line of bs that has been fed to people over the last few years so don't limit your choices.

If your girl just went through her first heat cycle she's likely blowing her coat or getting ready to. (That could well be why she's itchy.) Keep an eye on the fat content in her diet, source and amount. Over the years when I had a dog that developed a dry itchy coat, there wasn't enough fat in the diet or it was of a source that the dog couldn't utilize well. Adjust the fat and the itchiness went away.

·
Kristy
10,201 Posts
She is probably only needing about 3/4 cup of kibble, 2 times a day now that her growth has slowed down. Especially if she gets training treats. Don't mix in extra things to get her to eat or you'll create a picky eater. As long as she continues to drink, potty and play, the occasional skipped meal isn't a problem, even if it's not common for Goldens. Give her 10 - 15 minutes to eat and if she doesn't eat, pick up her bowl and then cover it and offer it again at the next meal. DO NOT fret over her. There are limited ingredient foods that you can try, or try something like pro plan sensitive skin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts