Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Charlie is 1.5 years old, fully housetrained (or so I thought until this week), but in the last week has pooped in my living room three times.
I get up in the morning and EVERY morning, he goes for a walk with me, this is only a half hour walk, as time is of the essense in the mornings. I then bring him home, feed him, and get ready for my day. I always make sure he has done his business outside, (and lately have been really watching to make sure he is), but for the last week, 3 times now I have come home to mess (or messes) on the living room carpet.
He greets me like normal, all tails and grinning around his favorite shoe (mine), whining like he hasn't seen me in decades.. but I am instantly upset because the pile(or piles) are like mountains!... not fun to clean up, and the smell is horrible.
Well today I grabbed him by the collar and dragged him to the pile and firmly (did not yell) said BAD DOG! His ears drooped, his eyes dropped and his entire body flattened to the floor.
If he was smaller, (as my yorkie/shitzu) I would have shook him (grabbed by scruff and shook as mama does), but since he is 70+ lbs, all I could do was grab him by the scruff and pull on him to get him outside. I kept telling him he was a BAD DOG!
Now I know you aren't supposed to punish a dog after the fact, (he could have pooped in the morning), but frustration got the best of me.
I am not sure what is happening, or why he is even doing this. Prior to this, he never even peed in the house. Now I am worried about this all the time.
I take both Charlie and the little dog (Brody) for a walk in the morning, and again when I get home at 5, and again before bed, so it is not the excercise, or lack of.. what could it be?
I could use some advise, and some help. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Yes, first of all, punishing your dog after the fact is, in my opinion, cruel. The dog doesn't know what you're punishing him for. You might as well be yelling at an infant for pooping in its diaper. Shaking a dog, any sized dog, is just... wrong...

How long is he left alone during the day? Is he crated? Perhaps you need to hire a dog walker to let him out halfway through the day to go potty. Also, you seemed to imply his poops are very large. What do you feed him and how much per day? You might be feeding him too much, which is why he has to go to the bathroom so often.

But since this is coming out of no where, I'd check up with a vet to make sure he isn't ill.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is due for his check up, I have an appt. with vet for next week.
he is not crated, and he is in the house from 7:30-5. But in the past, he has never done this, this is totally new.
he gets 2 cups in the morning of dry food, mixed with a half tspn of wet stuff, and the same at night.
Vet said that he can be dropped to 2 cups/day when his energy level drops. It hasnt. Even after getting neutered, he has the same energy level.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I am sure you don't want him to be afraid of you because you have become angry and unpredictable- you 'bite for no reason' -punishing for no reason in the dogs eyes (he has long forgotten the poop on the floor) has this affect. Getting 'physical' with your dog can seriously erode the trust your dog has in you.
Perhaps try cutting his meals down a bit and/or feed him a bit earlier in the morning to give him a little more time to do his business? You may have to get up a bit earlier, but it beats cleaning up 'accidents'. I am willing to bet he is not 'liking' having to poop in the house, anymore than you 'like' to clean it up- he can't help it -he has no choice.
You mentioned having another dog - any chance the other dog contributing?

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
You've punished a dog for something he doesn't remember, quite possibly there is a medical reason he can't wait, and most definitely he is not having accidents just to make you mad.

4 cups a day is twice the amount of food a 1.5 year old dog should eat that is a house pet getting normal walks. Cut him back to 2.5 cups total a day, but slowly reduce the amount over a few weeks. I bet the problem will resolve.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
He is due for his check up, I have an appt. with vet for next week.
he is not crated, and he is in the house from 7:30-5. But in the past, he has never done this, this is totally new.
he gets 2 cups in the morning of dry food, mixed with a half tspn of wet stuff, and the same at night.
Vet said that he can be dropped to 2 cups/day when his energy level drops. It hasnt. Even after getting neutered, he has the same energy level.
I think 7:30-5 is a fairly long bit of time, although I know dogs can do it - Flora (my dog) is often alone from about 8:30-5 and she does fine. However, with his problem, it might be that you'll need to have someone come by around 12 or 1 to let him out and evacuate his bowels.

Do you make sure he goes #2 before you leave for work? And 4 cups seems like quite a lot, but it really does depend on the dog. How much does he weigh? My dog weighs 60# and she gets 2 cups of food a day.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Maybe try feeding him less in the morning--you dont have to divide it evenly. Also, feed him a bit before you leave in the morning. My guys do the same schedule, and this is how I do it. Both usually poop on the walk and then not again until I get home.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm thinking that it could be excess food causing the spontaneous poop in the house. Dogs typically need less food once they're past the 12-18 month mark because the growing is pretty much done. The calories that were used up in growing are not needed and could be causing extra poop as that's essentially 'waste'. If he's at a healthy weight, I'd drop it down to at least 3 cups and see how he does with that.

Are you giving him time to relax and poop outside? Walking does get the bowels moving and some dogs learn to poop on walks but others need some 'downtime' after a walk to relax and poop. If he's not pooping on the walk, then doesn't get enough time in the yard after the walk to relax and poop before you decide he doesn't 'need' to, then that would explain why there's the poop in the house when you get back. The need to poop hits once you're out the door but there's no one to let him out.

Pay attention to your emotions. If you're standing in the yard after a walk impatient for him to poop so you can get going to work, he'll feel the anxiety but not know what's causing it. Being a golden, he'll be worried about YOU and the anxiety might make it hard for him to poop. He's so worried about why you're worried that he can't relax...then you leave the house and BAM. He can now poop.

Speaking of emotions, you need to get them under control. Yes you were frustrated but you treated your dog poorly and quite possibly made things worse. if he's already tense due to your anxiety in the morning (see above) then you came home, were anxious, and then gave him a reason to be anxious with you by dragging him around. Chances are he doesn't WANT to poop in the house but for the time being is feeling like it's his only option. Maybe channel your emotions into figuring out how to help your guy instead of getting mad at him. What you did was not productive at all - possibly harming - so you essentially used your dog as an emotional punching bag. How will you feel if you find out he's sick and then remember the way you acted?

Next time, if you need to relieve some frustration - which is a normal feeling we all have - find a productive way to do it. Close the bedroom door so your dogs are outside and then punch your pillows a few time. Go for a jog by yourself. Whatever. Just leave the dog(s) out of it.

Also, Nature's Miracle works really well for getting stains out and breaking down the smell of messes. It really is a Miracle. I had two foster puppies poop on my white rug this summer and there's no mark after using it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
If it's a newer problem, do you sense anything else off about him? having more anxiety when your are leaving for the day? Some dogs will poop in the house due to anxiety/stress. That may be what is happening as well. I would maybe put him a room or in a crate if you don't want a mess (if he's comfortable in the crate).
IF the poop is a little off I would too say get it check for worms or something like that.. maybe that is contributing? Good luck..hope it doesn't continue!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) Yes the other dog is a 15 lb Yorkie/shitzu. And his poops are definetly smaller. No i am very certain that Brody is not contributing to the messes.
I am going to cut down his morning meals. I have also placed a call into the vet, who unfortunately cannot get back to me until Monday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I make sure he goes poo before I leave. I am up at 5 a.m. and we go for a walk right away. During the walk, Charlie is more interested in the sights and smells to do any business. He will not even pee. Only in his yard will he does what he needs to do. (The exception is the park). Once home, I let him out and allow him a chance to relax, roll around on the snow (grass in the summer), and he will always do his business then. I bring him in, and he gets his breakfast.
At 1 year old he was 72lbs. (he was neutered, and that is why I know his weight), he still has the same energy level he did prior to neutering, and still walks for half hour to hour in the a.m. and another hour after work. And of course there is the running in circles, (RPMs - Rapid Puppy Movements I call them), and the playing with Brody (the yorkie/shitzu), or my husband or my son.
As for the food intake, I feed him Natural Balance. According to the feeding guidelines, he should be getting 3 3/4 - 4 1/4/day. I agree that this is probably the reason for this problem, and have begun to reduce his morning breakfast accordingly. I do not know how far to drop it though. My concern is his activity level.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2.5 cups a day? wow. that seems such a small amount. My vet did say that after a year he should only be eating once a day. REally? I have always fed my dogs twice a day, never once, but have always had small dogs. Brody (shitzu/yorkie) is about 15 lbs. And he eats 1 cup a day (sometimes less).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am starting to do that. will give him smaller amount in the a.m., and more at night.
how much do your dogs eat in a day? what are their weights? I was told from another memeber (see above notes) to only give Charlie 2.5 cups/day.
I do not want to harp on this, but that seems rather a small amount to give a 70+lb dog who is aactive as he is...
But to be the devils advocate, he is housebound during the day, and only serious activity is early a.m., and nightly, and of course the weekends when I am home. So maybe the guideline on the food is wrong? But it does say according to weight, activity levels of animal, climate temperature (I live in Alberta, Canada).

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
If he's only getting leash walks 2x a day, then I think 2.5 cups a day is perfectly adequate to maintain his weight. My dog Flora doesn't get a lot of exercise on a daily basis b/c of my schedule and b/c she has joint problems. I say she probably gets 1hr of off leash walking/hiking per day and 2 cups a day is more than enough to maintain a weight of 60lbs.

Try cutting back to 3 cups a day - 1.5 cups morning and evening (I wouldn't feed him only once a day, that sounds like a long time for a dog to go without food) and see how he is. More and more I'm starting to think his pooping is out of anxiety and too much food. Both issues can be easily controlled. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, I will definetly drop his food level down, and will go by the advice of Casey's mom and feel him less in the a.m. and more at night. I get up at 5 a.m. and do not leave until 7 a.m., so he has plenty of time to relax and do his business before I leave. And in thinking about it, it has to be the excess of food, because the amount he poops before I leave is normal, the piles I have found in the house is his normal mountain. But the fact that he is pooping AGAIN before I get home tells me it is the amount of food. My concern is that I will drop it down too much (or too fast... exactly how long do I take to ween him off - persay - to 3 cups for instance) And how will I know if it is NOT enough food for him?
Charlie is the sort to require the "downtime" after a walk to do his business. Yes he gets that time. I see him poop every morning before I leave.
I feel absolutely horrible about how I handled the situation. I know better than that, and do not normally treat any of my animals in this manner. I should have handled it the way I did the first two times. Calmly let him out, clean up the mess....

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm glad you're taking this advice and thinking things through. Hopefully it works out. I can completely understand your frustration and if it makes you feel better, everyone overreacts at times and does something they regret. Once I leaned down to get a toy out from under the couch and Ranger SLAMMED his head into my face...I pushed him away and he then banged his head on the end table. Whoops. But he forgave me instantly...it took longer for me to forgive myself and I use that memory and the guilt to dictate my actions now.

To answer your other questions, Ranger on kibble was usually fed per number of calories, not on volume. Back when I wasn't injured, he was getting walked 3-4 hours a day, roller-bladed with 3 times a week and hiking 8 hours a day on the weekends. The most food he ever got was 3 cups a day to keep his weight up to par (he weighed 70 lbs) when he was 9 months old. When I went to a higher calorie food - EVO with 527/cals a cup - I dropped it down to 2 cups a day and he still maintained his weight just fine, even with all the activity and the cold temps in winter (I'm just south of you!)

My brother's dog Blue has a super high metabolism and while he was getting 4 cups of food a day (1300 calories a day - more than I eat!), he dropped down to 2.5 cups once he was done growing. He actually got a little heavy - close 90 lbs - so he had to drop back. He was maintaining his weight well on 2.5 cups and a moderate activity level. (He's now on raw as of Tuesday).

So check the calories of how many per cup and do the math to find out how many he's getting. He probably will need less now that he's done growing, even if he is still as active as always. I'd drop him off to 3 cups right away - no weaning - and then see what happens. Hopefully it is something as easy to fix as feeding less food...fingers crossed!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. 1.5 cups in a.m., same at night. can I do this right away? Is there a weening period? like changing food taking a week or more? Or can I do this effective today?
I honestly do NOT want him anxious about being home during the day and worrying about having to hold it when he cannot, or worrying about how mom will handle it.. I dont want my dogs raised that way. You know? If it is something as simple as the amount of food he eats.. that is fixable!
He is such a lovable, happy dog, always smiling, talking to you, following you around.. he is my best friend...
I want to thank all of you for your advice in helping me figure this out. I will keep you all posted on what is happening.

On a side note... has anyone ever heard of a Golden howling when the battery in the fire alarm is low and the alarm beeps?
My son was sleeping in his room the other day (a day off work), and he said he woke up to Charlie howling... he bolted out of bed, cause this was not his normal howl (he howls when he wants to go outside, or mom is in the house and he is outside, or he wants to play...), this one was a scared howl.. (did not know there was such a thing). He couldnt figure it out. He went upstairs, and Charlie immediately came to him, quivering and whining. My son petted him and looked around, but couldnt figure out what was the problem. Charlie followed him to the bathroom (he does that alot by the way.. loves it when his ppl are taking baths or showers!). While in the bathroom, my son heard the beeping (two beeps - high pitched), Charlie immediately howled and started quivering again. Since my son did not know what the problem was, he checked the carbon detector, the alarm system, everything, but only when he was right below the fire alarm and it beeped did he figure it out (this was 3 beeps later all the while with Charlie howling). Once he changed the battery, of course the beeping stopped. And Charlie was fine.
When he told me the story later that night, I told him what happened six months ago. Same thing. only the beeping started at 2 in the morning. Charlie howled at 2 in the morning. I would get him calmed down, search for the source, not be able to find it, and go back to bed. I would just get comfy, and the beep would happen again. Charlie would start howling. By 6 a.m. I was literally ripping the alarm system out of the wall! My hubby got up, exclaimed WTH! (he slept through all of this), and while I was holding the house alarm in pieces in my hands, the beep started again, and Charlie howled. That is when I discovered it was not the security alarm, but the fire alarm.
My husband shook his head in disbelief of crazy dogs and even crazier women!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome, Thanks Ranger for your advise on this, I will check the calorie intact on the amount and figure that out. I will give Charlie 3 cups today instead of 4.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts