Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Looking at the ingredients, they both look okay. The best one is the one your dog does the best on and is within your budget. When it comes to DCM, make sure you check the varieties that are causing the problem, not just the brand. Many brands have a grain-free variety that is the culprit.
Does it matter? If a brand has some formulas that are sickening and killing dogs should you give them your trust and money?

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Umm… Purina makes Beneful. Royal Canin and Pedigree are made by Mars. Few brands are innocent of making “junk” dog food. It absolutely matters.

To the OP:
Do some research on food mediated DCM. Learn the ingredients to watch for. Then armed with the education, find a food you’re comfortable feeding and your dog does well on. Stay within your budget. Pro Plan is not the only great food on the market.
While I don't think Beneful or pedigree are top tier foods, saying "oh these companies make those foods" doesn't excuse the companies who don't bother to hire board certified veterinary nutritionists to formulate their foods, and refuse to meet the guidelines the world small animal veterinary association has set forth. Those guidelines are not anything extravagant, they are actually common sense and safety minded, yet the boutique brands won't follow them. Several boutique brands have put out false statements that they do follow them to mislead consumers. That's not trustworthy behavior.
As far as nutritionally mediated DCM and researching ingredients to watch for, you can't really do that because we don't know for sure what exactly caused the issue. People have hypothesized that it's legumes such as peas, or it's potatoes, or just poor formulation by the companies who don't hire board certified veterinary nutritionists to create their foods, or taurine/taurine absorption issues (potentially because of legumes) etc. But we haven't sorted that for sure. I hope very much that someone comes up with a conclusive answer, and soon because what we all want is to just be able to feed our dogs safely.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
I seem to remember Beneful playing a part in many dog deaths too.
There were lawsuits, which were dismissed due to no evidence. I know there was an issue with many foods when the melamine issue cropped up, so it's possible that was an issue as it was with many foods when that occurred.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Here is another food to consider life's abundance. Our first breeder was giving it to her dogs. A little pricey. 40lbs bag delivered to our address for $109 every three months. Two years ago the price was $92.00 delivered. Tax and shipping is included in the price. 3 cups of dog food a day for a 60 lb dog lasts 90 days. Google life's abundance for more info.
That food is an MLM scheme.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts