Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
You mean those little white things are actually dogs?......Who knew?.....
I’m still convinced that they’re all either wind up toys or piles of snow just masquerading as dogs

Reactions: FurdogDad

·
3 goldens
12,177 Posts
Three of my six goldens have been red, two a medium gold, one a light gold. When I walked my first golden, folks would tell me what a pretty Irish Setter I had. I have had two Irish Setters between '77 (showed up as a stray at my house & had him 8 years) and "97 (got as a puppy in '85 when my other passed asway and had him 12 1/2 years)), and the only thing that looked the same was the color. It didn't bother me at all that they didn't know. We have lived down here on the coast and outsdie of my Boots, I have only seen TWO other Irish Setters..my vet had one when me took over the long practice here, and a lady that lives in the next town has one. I do see lots of goldens. I have had 4 Great Pyrenees (all adopted seniors) and have only seen one other other---a service dog belonging to lady that came to our church. Tho my vet tells me there are many guarding sheep, goats and cattle on the farms and ranches.

I have never owned a small dog--only English & Irish Setters, goldens and Pyrs. My two sons love the big dogs. But one has an 8 pound something, the other a Jack Russel and a MinPin...both strays they took in. I do not know a lot about all the little dogs. Some I recognize from watching dog shows, but many look alike to me. I never put anyone down becaue they do not recognize what breed my dog is becaue they may know all about the little breeds that I know nothing about. And I know they love thier little dogs as much as I love my big dogs. I never wnat one, but on the other hand many do not want a dog more than 15 pounds tops for one reason or another.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As somebody who is getting a lighter gold(no matter what people say, they are gold- have you seen them in the snow?!) or what some BYBs LOVE to call “English Cream” Goldens… I CRINGE when somebody says “White or English Cream”😭 why can’t they just say “golden retriever” or at least English style or bred to the FCI/ British standard?!?! People these days… might as well make them separate breeds with these terms😂🤪
What really makes me cringe is that after spending the first half of my life in England, I can assure you that those light-coloured dogs are far from the norm. It must make them sound exotic, but where I come from Goldens are golden!

·
Registered
135 Posts
What really makes me cringe is that after spending the first half of my life in England, I can assure you that those light-coloured dogs are far from the norm. It must make them sound exotic, but where I come from Goldens are golden!
It’s fun to see what’s the norm in some countries and what isn’t. In Sweden I’d say a pretty good amount of them(30%) are the color we have. I suppose it varies by country! They are not exotic. They are golden retrievers. And if puppy buying people/some breeders can’t get that through their heads there really will be a split in the breed in the coming years😭There is such a difference in type from the more American lines Goldens and those “English” Goldens from Eastern Europe/other countries that when put next to each other they look like different dogs!😳

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree lot of the public don’t have a scoobies about the difference between labs and Golden’s.
Our Teddy always gets mistaken for a lab after he has had a UK style show trim and groom. See photo. Even though he still has all his feathering and big long fan like tail and haunches. In the UK the neck and chest hair is cut much shorter than the US for the show style. That’s if you go to a proper golden retriever groomer. But because a lot of people think goldens are meant to have this very long overgrown coat they get confused.
Beautiful boy:) I love him!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am happy to send a picture of my girly if you want to see her in a private message too!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
For us, 90% of people get golden retriever. The other 9% say "hey, it's Air Bud," which is close enough. The last 1% don't know dogs or have a golden from field lines and ask why my golden is so big, and if he's mixed with something else.

**Edited to add that when he was a baby puppy, that's when we encountered a lot more confusion because in defense of the public, one of our good friends told us you don't get to see a whole lot of golden puppies walking around, and when they are little potatoes they don't look a whole lot like the lions they morph into.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sounds like it's a common issue across the board! Thanks everyone for all the replies. Glad to hear we aren't the only ones that get the questions ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an 18 month old intact male golden. When I pictured what I wanted my golden to look like, he is it. I’ve been surprised in recent months about comments/questions I get asking what he is mixed with or if he is a purebred golden. The main question comes from his big, blocky head. Has anyone else encountered this? Are people just used to seeing different lines of goldens? He comes from great lines and I’ve got his k9 data to show it. Just wondering if others get the same questions. Here are a couple recent pics (he’s due for a trim😆) View attachment 888226
View attachment 888225

·
Registered
57 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the boxy head!! You can see the difference below in my first Golden boy (MISHA) and my second - the love of my life: KYA.
"CUMMINGS COWBOY YIPPIEKYA" Call name Kya.
My beloved breeder - Mary Cummings (RIP) was known for breeding these gorgeous heads.
I'd say you found a keeper...

MISHA KYA
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Companion dog

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think a lot of people just don’t really know what different dog breeds look like and are used to hearing everything is a mix. My puppy really doesn’t have a lot of coat and I’ve had multiple people ask me if she’s a golden doodle.
I had someone ask me that when my girl was a puppy. She was actually disappointed when I told her no....100% golden.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had someone ask me that when my girl was a puppy. She was actually disappointed when I told her no....100% golden.
This person seemed disappointed too, haha. Doodles seem to be very popular in my area. Tons of people are also happy to see and greet a happy golden puppy though!

·
Registered
135 Posts
This person seemed disappointed too, haha. Doodles seem to be very popular in my area. Tons of people are also happy to see and greet a happy golden puppy though!
Everybody is in the mix breed daze… I know 7 people in our neighborhood with doodles… I only know one other golden owner and the sweet boy is around 8-10?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our 7 month old intact male Stig also has what I have described as a head like a box- especially when compared to our senior Golden (same breeder, different lines). We are hoping his body catches up!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Whiskers
Head Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore

21 - 36 of 36 Posts