Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 month old intact male golden. When I pictured what I wanted my golden to look like, he is it. I’ve been surprised in recent months about comments/questions I get asking what he is mixed with or if he is a purebred golden. The main question comes from his big, blocky head. Has anyone else encountered this? Are people just used to seeing different lines of goldens? He comes from great lines and I’ve got his k9 data to show it. Just wondering if others get the same questions. Here are a couple recent pics (he’s due for a trim😆)
Car Dog Vehicle Dog breed Hood

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

·
Super Moderator
2,546 Posts
I am always asked if my dog is a Labrador, Goldendoodle, or Lab x Golden. I'm always surprised because I do not think he looks anything like those :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
588 Posts
When Beckett was a fluffy fluffy fluffy puppy, I was ALWAYS asked if he was a lab. One time I said no, all Golden, and the person followed with “are you sure?” 🙄
Now that he’s older I do still get the occasional “is he full Golden?” usually followed with “oh, his head is huge though”. I also get “wow, he’s really short” pretty often, so I suspect people are not very used to seeing unalterned, well bred dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
TLDR: the public doesn’t know dogs. 😅

Not quite the same problem, but about 60% of the random people I met at the Golden National thought Eevee was a boy. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ They’d be like “oh he’s so handsome. How old is he?” Me: “oh this is actually a girl. She’s 2.5.” I mean… she is tall, but she’s still built like a bitch and has a feminine face.

People used to ask if Rocket was a lab or doodle. Especially when he was a puppy. Now everyone thinks he’s a puppy because of his size (he’s small - my dogs are backwards in size) and how friendly he is when he’s actually 6 years old. Lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree lot of the public don’t have a scoobies about the difference between labs and Golden’s.
Our Teddy always gets mistaken for a lab after he has had a UK style show trim and groom. See photo. Even though he still has all his feathering and big long fan like tail and haunches. In the UK the neck and chest hair is cut much shorter than the US for the show style. That’s if you go to a proper golden retriever groomer. But because a lot of people think goldens are meant to have this very long overgrown coat they get confused.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
One of mine was called an English Shepherd once. People are so used to seeing poorly bred goldens, they don't know what a nice one should look like.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What I find interesting is it seems like adults that have this problem. When kids ask/guess they are almost always right, in my experience.
I can support that one, right across any knowledge, spent a lot of time in front of public answering questions and the kids were almost always better informed, can't count the time I had to say to the parent "sorry, but your child is correct"
...not sure what happens to make adults believe they are a font of information, without bothering to check the facts first ;)

·
Registered
13,666 Posts
TLDR: the public doesn’t know dogs.
So so true. BUT - I always keep in mind that I don't know much about little dog breeds (especially all the little white ones that look the same to me). :oops::)
So I don't mind when people ask what Shala is, or if the little petite, very feminine looking thing is a boy or a girl, or if she is mixed with Irish Setter. Most people are asking because they think she is beautiful and want to know what she is, so I'm always happy to chat with them about her!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think a lot of people just don’t really know what different dog breeds look like and are used to hearing everything is a mix. My puppy really doesn’t have a lot of coat and I’ve had multiple people ask me if she’s a golden doodle.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So so true. BUT - I always keep in mind that I don't know much about little dog breeds (especially all the little white ones that look the same to me). :oops::)
So I don't mind when people ask what Shala is, or if the little petite, very feminine looking thing is a boy or a girl, or if she is mixed with Irish Setter. Most people are asking because they think she is beautiful and want to know what she is, so I'm always happy to chat with them about her!
You mean those little white things are actually dogs?......Who knew?.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you mistake a golden retriever for a labrador you just have 0 knowledge about dog breeds and are probably just trying to do small talk (and not actually interested in the dog). I have a lab x golden mix and no one believes she is a labrador or golden retriever because she is “too thin” (actually healthy weight). People are used to seeing obese retrievers and believe all that fat is actually their build. So when they see what the breed should actually look like, athletic, they rather believe it’s a whole different breed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
People tell me Billie isnt a golden because shes not white or lite cream colored....I just laugh and say your right your right only English creams are bread in America. 😂
As somebody who is getting a lighter gold(no matter what people say, they are gold- have you seen them in the snow?!) or what some BYBs LOVE to call “English Cream” Goldens… I CRINGE when somebody says “White or English Cream”😭 why can’t they just say “golden retriever” or at least English style or bred to the FCI/ British standard?!?! People these days… might as well make them separate breeds with these terms😂🤪

·
Registered
Billie
58 Posts
As somebody who is getting a lighter gold(no matter what people say, they are gold- have you seen them in the snow?!) or what some BYBs LOVE to call “English Cream” Goldens… I CRINGE when somebody says “White or English Cream”😭 why can’t they just say “golden retriever” or at least English style or bred to the FCI/ British standard?!?! People these days… might as well make them separate breeds with these terms😂🤪
seriously! lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts