Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,151 Posts
Just go back to the house training schedule as if he was not ever house trained. He will get it faster this time around. I'm glad you are bringing him back in the home with you.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,251 Posts
Just an aside here, it is stories like this that make conscientious breeders very reluctant to sell a puppy to young, single people who live in an apartment. If this were a puppy I bred, I would be horrified and would try to get the puppy back. Goldens should not live outside. We have bred them to need the companionship. They are extremely social animals. Solitary confinement to a yard is cruel to them, IMHO. I read this and think, "Well, that makes me less likely to ever sell a puppy to a young person who rents an apartment. I don't want to send a puppy to a home where if circumstances change the dog will suffer for it." As well-meaning as such a person may be, it impacts the dog negatively. So, those of you younger folks who rent apartments and have a hard time getting a breeder to sell you a puppy, this is why.

Okay, sorry for the hijack. We now return to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress...

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
In Dana's defense (not that she needs it) I agree. A good breeder is one who considers the life they bring into the world above the humans whose lives they enhance by selling them a puppy.
I'm glad you are working it out, and glad you are seeing the way through what's right for your puppy... and frankly I fully expect a lot of Golden adolescents in shelter scenarios or out the back yard getting food thrown at them once a day once people go back to work.
I take a chance on some apartment dwellers, and some single people, but this scene is gonna add more to my 'no go' list for the puppies I am responsible for placing in homes that will care for them for their whole lives.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Apparently didn't like breeders saying her scenario is our nightmare.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I find it frustrating that the original post is gone. Hard to fully piece together what the issue was.

But it is difficult to hear that the situation could affect how great breeders see single people in apartments. I was 30, single and living in a large apartment when I got my first puppy. When I found that place, one of the first things I asked the landlord was whether I would be able to have a Golden Retriever, because that was my plan and it was not going to change. She was fine with it, and I quickly learned there were other dogs in the building, so I knew she was being truthful. There were two parks nearby and there was my commitment to make sure my dog was well exercised and trained. The apartment was three flights up, and I ran up and down those stairs about 12 times a day carrying my puppy to house train - in the winter, with snow and brutal cold. It CAN be done. That pup had maybe two accidents in the house - and never a poop accident. It's really more about the person than the situation, but I can understand how one bad instance like whatever this OP's was could make breeders really reluctant to take a chance. I'm just making a little, quiet plea to you all to try not to generalize, and see the person not the situation. I bought a house four years later and I train and compete with my dog (my second now). I have always had amazing dogwalkers so my dog would not be left all day alone, and my dogs have been healthy and fit and happy well behaved joys in my life. And because I have never had a yard (still don't), I have always had to take my dog for walks and hikes and swims and ball plays, rather than just let them out in a yard. I think both of us have benefited from that! :)

Reactions: Tagrenine

·
Registered
503 Posts
I find it frustrating that the original post is gone. Hard to fully piece together what the issue was.

But it is difficult to hear that the situation could affect how great breeders see single people in apartments. I was 30, single and living in a large apartment when I got my first puppy. When I found that place, one of the first things I asked the landlord was whether I would be able to have a Golden Retriever, because that was my plan and it was not going to change. She was fine with it, and I quickly learned there were other dogs in the building, so I knew she was being truthful. There were two parks nearby and there was my commitment to make sure my dog was well exercised and trained. The apartment was three flights up, and I ran up and down those stairs about 12 times a day carrying my puppy to house train - in the winter, with snow and brutal cold. It CAN be done. That pup had maybe two accidents in the house - and never a poop accident. It's really more about the person than the situation, but I can understand how one bad instance like whatever this OP's was could make breeders really reluctant to take a chance. I'm just making a little, quiet plea to you all to try not to generalize, and see the person not the situation. I bought a house four years later and I train and compete with my dog (my second now). I have always had amazing dogwalkers so my dog would not be left all day alone, and my dogs have been healthy and fit and happy well behaved joys in my life. And because I have never had a yard (still don't), I have always had to take my dog for walks and hikes and swims and ball plays, rather than just let them out in a yard. I think both of us have benefited from that! :)
This person appeared very young, got a very young puppy, moved back in with her parents during covid and the puppy, still very very young was then made to be an outside dog.
She was then going to go back to apartment living and asked how to potty train it again. It was still very young. I believe it was about 12 weeks? When it became an outside dog.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Thanks for filling in the blanks. It does sound like a not well-thought-out situation that was then made worse by the pandemic. Making any dog an outdoor dog is unthinkable to me. I'm glad the OP is taking the puppy back indoors. Poor thing will need lots of love and patience and training.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for filling in the blanks. It does sound like a not well-thought-out situation that was then made worse by the pandemic. Making any dog an outdoor dog is unthinkable to me. I'm glad the OP is taking the puppy back indoors. Poor thing will need lots of love and patience and training.
I'd personally return a pup before making it an outside dog, especially at that age. She kept her apartment, but went to help her parents with her brother or something. It didn't make sense that the pup had to live outdoors

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I'd personally return a pup before making it an outside dog, especially at that age. She kept her apartment, but went to help her parents with her brother or something. It didn't make sense that the pup had to live outdoors
Totally agree. I would never keep a dog outdoors, even if it meant giving the pup back to the breeder. I wonder if the OP approached the breeder for help - perhaps a request to take the pup back short term? It's heartbreaking to think the pup was forced to live outside. I'm rethinking whether the OP should be keeping the pup at all since she agreed to make it live outdoors for any amount of time. :(

·
Registered
503 Posts
Totally agree. I would never keep a dog outdoors, even if it meant giving the pup back to the breeder. I wonder if the OP approached the breeder for help - perhaps a request to take the pup back short term? It's heartbreaking to think the pup was forced to live outside. I'm rethinking whether the OP should be keeping the pup at all since she agreed to make it live outdoors for any amount of time. :(
I can't imagine anyone in my family forcing a very young puppy to live outside. Especially if I was there to help them. Nobody in my family believes in outdoor only dogs anyway it was only a small pup.

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
This thread has been closed to further posts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.