GR Lifetime Study Participant Sub Forum?
I am suggesting that the GRF create a specific subforum in the Health Forum for everyone of the forum dogs who are, or who plan to participate in the Morris Animal Foundation Golden Retriever Lifetime Study. https://www.caninelifetimehealth.org/ Morris Animal Foundation is conducting this study and it promises to benefit our breed as well as other breeds. They need 3000 Golden Retrievers (USA, AKC registered, 6 months to 2 years of age) to participate and they are needing help in getting the word out to owners of these dogs who are less than 2 years old and who are eligible for the study.
Several of our forum dogs are in this study. These dogs may not win championships, field titles, agility titles, do therapy work or benefit the breed in like manners; however, they are most definitely benefitting the breed we love so much that this forum dedicates itself to. Please consider establishing this sub-forum. Those visiting it can ask questions and share experiences and encourage others to join us in a most worthy cause. As mentioned in the current thread about this, there are at least 10 or so threads devoted to this study, the first I recall being Point Gold's several years ago. I'd be willing to search for these threads so they could be moved to the subforum. We could also create a sticky thread with the details of the study so we can easily find it and refer new members to it.
I rest my case. Thank you for considering this.
I will take your request to discuss with the entire Mod team......
Sub-Forum for Lifetime Golden Retriever Study
Can we have a sub-forum created for the Morris Animal Foundation Lifetime Golden Retriever Study, please? I can think of a few reasons this might be a good thing:
1. There are already multiple threads about this on various places around this site, and having one place to contain them all would be helpful.
2. We have a number of members whose dogs are participating in this study (including me), and we would like a place to discuss questions, issues, participation, etc.
3. The study will take 10-14 years, and the people participating would benefit from a specific forum where they can discuss events and information over the long term, ask questions and get help from other members, and have that information available in one place throughout the life of the study.
4. A sub-forum would draw constant attention to the study, which might result in more people signing their dogs up for it. And that would be a Very Good Thing for the breed we love so much.
5. It might help this forum become a player in the study, both as a source of information and a source of dogs in the study. They still need 2,500 more dogs. We have 23,811 members. You do the math!
6. There are so many heartbreaking stories, threads, and sub-forums devoted to cancer and other health issues with our beloved Goldens. It would be nice to have a forum where we are actually trying to do something about that, rather than sitting back and lamenting our dead and dying dogs.
7. This study is IMPORTANT to our breed, to us, to our dogs, and to the future. As a major group of fanciers, don't we want to have a part in that?
8. Oh, I'm sure you can think of a dozen or so other reasons why a dedicated sub-forum would be a good thing. :)
As you know I took this back to the entire Mod team for review. Everyone of us decided that a sub forum for this topic would be too little of activity. Also it was mentioned we already may have too many sub forums on the board as it is. So even popular sub forums like Goldens Born In I will start rotating out every 4 years. We all agree that the study is great but it would not work for an entire sub forum. You could start a social group for members that are in this study if that is not already in place.
How about a sticky in the puppy and/or health/nutrition forums that contains the basic information and a link to the study? That way new members, as well as visitors, would have easy access to information about the study.
I will do it, with just a link to the study and perhaps listing the eligibility requirements. Give me a day or so- busy agenda today.
Here is something I put together if you want to use it for the sticky. All information taken directly from the website. https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...ml#post3083930
I do not feel this will reach as many people as a sub forum, and that is disappointing for me personally since this is a most valuable study that will improve the breed to which this forum is dedicated, much more important than some of the sub forums, but hopefully doing a sticky at least will allow members to refer to a synopsis of the study.
This sounds like a great idea!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© Golden Retriever Forum .com