Goldens Born in October 2018 - Page 10 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWillows View Post
Hi all, your pups are gorgeous. Rooney was born October 20

Funny enough one of his playmates at the dog park was born on the exact say day, no relation at all, but there's over 10 pounds difference in them! Sometimes I worry he's on the lighter side. He's 58 pounds as of a few days ago, has no trouble eating his food (PPP Large Breed Puppy, with carrots, eggs, and fish as snacks here and there) and stays pretty active. I'm happy with the way he looks, but some people make comments that he looks too "slim" so that makes me question as it's hard not to compare your dog with others sometimes.
Rooney is adorable!! He looks perfect to me: slim is way better than overweight, especially now while joints/bones are still growing/developing. Welcome to the group
post #92 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Welcome Rooney. He looks wonderful 🙂 Maggie will be 8 months on the 19th and she weighs 42 lbs. They are all so different.
Jules
post #93 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Maggie is 8 months today! In some ways she is so mature it is hard to remember she is still just a baby 🙂 She is just the best dog with such a calm and sweet personality. We love her so much and are so lucky she is part of our family.
Jules
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_053349_1560951459747.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	817750  
post #94 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Osteochondrosis diagnosis and orthopedic surgery

Well Chappie was diagnosed with osteochondrosis. a bone disease from growing too fast!! 😭😟😢 he had to have orthopedic surgery on his shoulder about two months ago. The doctor says he's healing well but he is still limping a little which is to be expected. it could take another month or two for him to totally heal his Dr said. He was released for swimming and moderate activity at his follow-up. I was careful with is food and he always seemed too skinny to me but he did grow super fast. We always commented that he seemed like he was only a puppy for 2 maybe 3 weeks, then he was a full grown Golden! Seems the only thing still growing now is his feathers. You can almost see they are longer every day!. At 8 months are they expected to grow taller still? Or just add some adult weight? Chappie is a whopping 65 lbs and has been this same weight for the last 2 months, since his surgery actually. So even at 6 months he was 65 lbs!!! He stands
26" at the withers. He is a big boy, we always knew he would be by the size of his feet. We love our big goofy boy!! In the pic you can see he is too big to fit in the lazyboy chair. And his healing shoulder is shown (as well as the cute collar and leash set we got him that we love).
Osteochondrosis can occur even up to 1 yr old so be aware if your baby suddenly starts limping!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190621_074036_1561393870044.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	817924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190624_110646_1561393898316.jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	817926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190624_111156_1561393956219.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	817928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_224030_1561394007991.jpg
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	817930  

Name:	IMG_20190624_095015_1561394059746.jpg
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	817932  
post #95 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Poor Chappie! I hope he continues to heal and will make a full recovery. He is such a beautiful dog.

Jules
post #96 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Oh my gosh, poor Chappie! I hope his surgery recovery has gone well! We lost our first golden to osteosarcoma, so just seeing the "osteo..." made my heart skip a beat. How is he doing?
post #97 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Barkley is just over 8 months (he was 8 months on June 23) and weighed in at 59lbs at the vet last week. I had noticed his urine stream seemed thinner than it was previously, so I brought him in to be checked out. The vet (who we found out on Weds was selling his practice (very suddenly) and would be closed after Friday!!!) said that I was supposed to clip the hair around his sheath, and that by leaving it long, it allowed bacteria to end up in his bladder, so Barkley had a bladder infection that needed to be treated.

Unfortunately, the vet nicked Barkley with the clippers, and we didn't know it until the following morning, but by then, Barkley had licked himself a lovely hotspot on his sheath. The poor boy was so uncomfortable! Luckily we we able to get the blowup donut collar that day (thanks, Amazon Prime!), and it's the perfect size to keep him from making all of this worse. I called the vet to let them know what happened and the response was "oh well". I brought Barkley to a new vet, who he initially just barked at, but 2 Milkbones later, she's his best friend, and she prescribed some painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Day 4 of the donut, and his sheath is finally much less pink/warm, and the nick is healing nicely. Maybe by July 4th we'll be able to ditch the collar.

Gotta say; I was so surprised he had a bladder infection!! We take him out every hour or two during the day, although he is sleeping from 9:30 - 5:30am most nights, I wonder if that's too long to go without a potty break? It was crazy hot the previous week, and I'm worried he didn't drink enough - does anyone monitor their dog's water drinking? We always have a full bowl out for the boys (it's one of the automatic waterers - the stream is love/hate for me; the dogs love it, but B loves to play with it, so I clean up a lot of water and wet paws), so I'm not entirely sure how to monitor water intake. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3133.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	900.3 KB
ID:	818158  
post #98 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesAK View Post
Maggie is 8 months today! In some ways she is so mature it is hard to remember she is still just a baby 🙂 She is just the best dog with such a calm and sweet personality. We love her so much and are so lucky she is part of our family.
Jules
Jules, Maggie is just beautiful! We are so shocked at how "grown up" Barkley seems at just 8 months; where did our fluffy fuzzballs go?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to MushyB For This Useful Post:
JulesAK (07-03-2019)
post #99 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Franklin is a week away from 9 months and just got back from his first road trip, nearly three weeks away from home and about 1200 miles each way from TN to Maine. He hiked through Acadia National Park, swam in the ocean, and had TONS of fun. I was so nervous about such a long trip with a puppy, but he did so well that I'm already looking for our next big adventure!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6885.jpg
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	818202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6756.jpg
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	818204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6713.jpg
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	818206  
The Following User Says Thank You to mp2005 For This Useful Post:
JulesAK (07-03-2019)
post #100 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushyB View Post
Barkley is just over 8 months (he was 8 months on June 23) and weighed in at 59lbs at the vet last week. I had noticed his urine stream seemed thinner than it was previously, so I brought him in to be checked out. The vet (who we found out on Weds was selling his practice (very suddenly) and would be closed after Friday!!!) said that I was supposed to clip the hair around his sheath, and that by leaving it long, it allowed bacteria to end up in his bladder, so Barkley had a bladder infection that needed to be treated.

Unfortunately, the vet nicked Barkley with the clippers, and we didn't know it until the following morning, but by then, Barkley had licked himself a lovely hotspot on his sheath. The poor boy was so uncomfortable! Luckily we we able to get the blowup donut collar that day (thanks, Amazon Prime!), and it's the perfect size to keep him from making all of this worse. I called the vet to let them know what happened and the response was "oh well". I brought Barkley to a new vet, who he initially just barked at, but 2 Milkbones later, she's his best friend, and she prescribed some painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Day 4 of the donut, and his sheath is finally much less pink/warm, and the nick is healing nicely. Maybe by July 4th we'll be able to ditch the collar.

Gotta say; I was so surprised he had a bladder infection!! We take him out every hour or two during the day, although he is sleeping from 9:30 - 5:30am most nights, I wonder if that's too long to go without a potty break? It was crazy hot the previous week, and I'm worried he didn't drink enough - does anyone monitor their dog's water drinking? We always have a full bowl out for the boys (it's one of the automatic waterers - the stream is love/hate for me; the dogs love it, but B loves to play with it, so I clean up a lot of water and wet paws), so I'm not entirely sure how to monitor water intake. Any suggestions?
I hope Barkley is feeling better!!