Join Date: Sep 2006
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
It's common sense really. How do we and our children react when we take an occasional big swallow of pool water? I don't think it's a problem if your dog as plenty of fresh water indoors and outdoors (I presume the pool water is not his only source of water).
This is from the:
ONLINE PET CARE LIBRARY:
"Can my dog drink from the swimming pool? Will this hurt him?"
Answer The occasional drink of swimming pool water won't hurt most dogs. However, it is not recommended. The concentration of chlorine and other chemicals in the water is low enough that your dogs would have to drink quite a lot for it to be dangerous. People sometimes swallow pool water on accident too, with no serious consequences.
You can keep your pups' trips to the pool to a minimum by making sure they have lots of fresh water both inside and outside and by keeping the pool fenced off or covered when you aren't swimming (unsupervised pets around pools are at risk of accidental drowning). You can also watch your dogs for diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, or other signs of stomach problems. If their health and behavior seem fine, then their little chlorine habit is probably not a problem.
If I was rich and had a pool I would let my GR swim with us and when we are not using the pool our GR would not be near it either because chlorine is still a chemical that kills bacteria after all. Dangerous or not I wouldn't drink a "little of it" everyday!
If you post a photo of the swimming pool maybe members could give you ideas on how to make it safe.