Slobbering When Drinking Water - Page 3 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
When you think about how dogs actually drink (gathering the water with the underside of their tongues like a ladle and catching most of it in mid-air) it's amazing they get any in their mouths!




Lily is pretty tidy - she drinks from the middle of the bowl. Fergus prefers to drink from the edge closest to him making a huge mess and lots of waves. My parents' golden is an interesting drinker. He kind of hooks his nose over the edge of the bowl furthest from him and then drinks against the side.
Celeigh is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Preeminent Member
 
missmarstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 328
Thanked 1,059 Times in 487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeigh View Post
When you think about how dogs actually drink (gathering the water with the underside of their tongues like a ladle and catching most of it in mid-air) it's amazing they get any in their mouths!

Wow that video is neat!! I never knew that's how they grabbed the water with their tongues.. neato
missmarstar is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 2
Thanks: 4
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Maddie likes to blow bubbles in her water dish ... she ends up getting water all over the wall too lol
marieb is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow what a great video I always thought they used the top side of there tounge to drink...! While we are on the subject does anyones GR have a pattern? Shanks alsways drinks in 3's.. 3 gulps then a rest 3 gulps then another rest..
russ&jo(UK) is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
ggd
Senior Member
 
ggd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 43 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieb View Post
Maddie likes to blow bubbles in her water dish ... she ends up getting water all over the wall too lol
Abby my Lab does this sometimes. She will get her nose under the water and blow hard enough to blow bubbles and water everywhere.
Sydney my other Golden will dig in the water bowl sometimes and throw water everywhere. They all have their own things when it comes to making a mess and amusing themselves.
ggd is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Classic Karma
 
zippybossrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of my dogs have been water slobs and leave water all over the floor in my kitchen. Unfortunately, my 4 yr old daughter doesn't walk anywhere....she runs. The combination has led to many wipe outs on the kitchen floor!!

With my luck, our new pupper (who is coming home in 2 weeks...YEAH!!!) will also be a water slob so I think the idea of some sort of towel is a good idea. Has anyone ever tried a "Sham-Wow"? In theory, I think it might be a good solution....would soak up more than an average towel????





http://pitapata.com/pic/2009/06/01/7GAp.jpghttp://pdgf.pitapata.com/7V7dm4.png

Follow Buoy as he grows at: http://buoypupper.webs.com/


Pals at the Bridge
Bailey 7/16/94 - 12/18/07
Holly 3/3/07 - 11/4/08
zippybossrock is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
claregirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ&jo(UK) View Post
Wow what a great video I always thought they used the top side of there tounge to drink...! While we are on the subject does anyones GR have a pattern? Shanks alsways drinks in 3's.. 3 gulps then a rest 3 gulps then another rest..
YES!!!! I never thought to say anything about it but both Morgan and Casey do that.
claregirl is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
claregirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippybossrock View Post
All of my dogs have been water slobs and leave water all over the floor in my kitchen. Unfortunately, my 4 yr old daughter doesn't walk anywhere....she runs. The combination has led to many wipe outs on the kitchen floor!!

With my luck, our new pupper (who is coming home in 2 weeks...YEAH!!!) will also be a water slob so I think the idea of some sort of towel is a good idea. Has anyone ever tried a "Sham-Wow"? In theory, I think it might be a good solution....would soak up more than an average towel????
I seriously looked into Sham-Wow for just this purpose so I checked it out on this cool web site - http://www.onlineasseenontv.com/Default.asp?catid=0 which lists all the stuff "as seen on TV" but better yet has people giving their feedback. Apparently, Sham-Wow only works when it is damp or just wet to begin with so what's the purpose?

BTW I got the Peticure before I knew about this web site and both Morgan and Casey run away when I take it out. Anybody else have this problem?
claregirl is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Look at that face...
 
SunsetSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sam is a total drinking slob. He trails water all over the floor, splashes, makes waves, etc....We all have learned to wear shoes. My poor toddler has slipped and fallen on the ceramic tile many times, even though we keep a towel under is bowls.

The worst part is the drool *in* the water bowl after he's done drinking. My toddler loves to play in the water and it grosses me out to forget to put up the dish and turn around and see him standing there sucking slobber water off of his fingers.


Lisa
Human to Sam (09/13/07)
Mom to three kids and wife to one "big kid"
SunsetSam is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
claregirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSam View Post
Sam is a total drinking slob. He trails water all over the floor, splashes, makes waves, etc....We all have learned to wear shoes. My poor toddler has slipped and fallen on the ceramic tile many times, even though we keep a towel under is bowls.

The worst part is the drool *in* the water bowl after he's done drinking. My toddler loves to play in the water and it grosses me out to forget to put up the dish and turn around and see him standing there sucking slobber water off of his fingers.
I know. There's that "film" at the bottom of the bowl that I have to really swush around when I change their water. Once a day I totally clean the bowl because it grosses me out.
claregirl is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome