Dealing with dog waste - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 537
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,306 Posts
Dealing with dog waste

So I'm using the traditional, bag and trash method. Well every Thursday I get the pleasant chore of moving the cans out to the front of the house to be picked up. We all know how bad those trash cans can smell with a week's worth of dog waste in there aging, it's an absolute assault on the nose. I've sprayed disinfectant and a can of lysol down there everyday, it doesn't help at all.

So I started looking up how to rid of this problem, other get than getting rid of Maverick I came across these:http://www.amazon.com/FLUSH-PUPPIES-Flushable-Biodegradable-Supermarket/dp/B005AN2HNU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1345780960&sr=1-3&keywords=flushable+dog+poop+bags Anyone ever try these sorts of bags before, I mean flushing it seems like the cleanest and most efficient way to dispose of dog poop.

What other methods do you all use? And how do you keep your trash cans smelling less offensive? I gotta rinse them every Friday, and it works, but temporarily.
dezymond is offline  
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Vhuynh2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,665
Thanked 4,434 Times in 2,536 Posts
Wow, those are expensive. I just use BioBags because they are truly biodegradable. I don't have to worry about the garbage though because I live in an apartment building. If I had my own house and a yard I would probably look into those septic tanks that you put in your yard.
Vhuynh2 is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 537
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhuynh2 View Post
Wow, those are expensive. I just use BioBags because they are truly biodegradable. I don't have to worry about the garbage though because I live in an apartment building. If I had my own house and a yard I would probably look into those septic tanks that you put in your yard.
Yeah they are quite pricey...

I did look into those septic tank options, but I actually got to find where the septic tank is now lol. Gotta look at the manual that came with the house, seems like the best option.

I've always thought about using a pooper-scooper and bringing it to the toilet, but if I have one mistep that could be one giant mess I would have...LOL

As for the yard, we have synthetic grass, long before we decided to get Maverick. Getting the urine smell out of it is almost impossible, one reason why I can't wait for the rainy season lol
dezymond is offline  
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Vhuynh2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,665
Thanked 4,434 Times in 2,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
Yeah they are quite pricey...

I did look into those septic tank options, but I actually got to find where the septic tank is now lol. Gotta look at the manual that came with the house, seems like the best option.

I've always thought about using a pooper-scooper and bringing it to the toilet, but if I have one mistep that could be one giant mess I would have...LOL

As for the yard, we have synthetic grass, long before we decided to get Maverick. Getting the urine smell out of it is almost impossible, one reason why I can't wait for the rainy season lol
I wouldn't even try using a pooper scooper and going to the toilet.. I've already dropped Molly's turds while picking them up with the bag before tying it up.
Vhuynh2 is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 AM
<><><><><>
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,868
Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,073 Posts
I have a 40 acre park behind my house. Twice a day, we walk the mile around the park. I have her trained to do her business during these walks. I bag it, and throw it in one of the trash cans scattered around the park. Occasionally, a third bowel movement is needed. Last week, I believe there were only three piles in the yard.

Try to train your dog to go on demand. I never thought it would be possible, but she'll squeeze out a two-incher to get her two pieces of freeze-dried liver. I found it also came in handy when we went camping 4 hours away. She actually pooped four times that day...once in the morning, once at night, and both times that we stopped for potty breaks on the way up.

Grasslands Liberty Belle "Bella" CDX BN PCD CGC UCD (Born 5-7-2012)
Nairb is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nairb For This Useful Post:
AlanK (08-24-2012), az_melanie (08-24-2012)
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 537
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
I have a 40 acre park behind my house. Twice a day, we walk the mile around the park. I have her trained to do her business during these walks. I bag it, and throw it in one of the trash cans scattered around the park. Occasionally, a third bowel movement is needed. Last week, I believe there were only three piles in the yard.

Try to train your dog to go on demand. I never thought it would be possible, but she'll squeeze out a two-incher to get her two pieces of freeze-dried liver. I found it also came in handy when we went camping 4 hours away. She actually pooped four times that day...once in the morning, once at night, and both times that we stopped for potty breaks on the way up.
I can definitely train him to go when I want him to just gotta work on it. He poops at the local park I walk him in the morning, but poops early in the morning, like 6am. He really doesn't go again, even after lunch, til we go to the dog park at night and sometimes he'll go twice there in the 90 minutes we are there.
dezymond is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 537
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhuynh2 View Post
I wouldn't even try using a pooper scooper and going to the toilet.. I've already dropped Molly's turds while picking them up with the bag before tying it up.
LOL sorry can't help but laugh. It's ok, you'll have plenty of practice time
dezymond is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dezymond For This Useful Post:
Vhuynh2 (08-24-2012)
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Vhuynh2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,665
Thanked 4,434 Times in 2,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
Try to train your dog to go on demand. I never thought it would be possible, but she'll squeeze out a two-incher to get her two pieces of freeze-dried liver.
OK there is something wrong with Molly because hers are 4 inches long and she still won't be done.. that is why I am having such a hard time picking them up!
Vhuynh2 is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 AM
<><><><><>
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,868
Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,073 Posts
I just say "go potty" and shake the plastic treat container. She really, really likes freeze-dried liver. One piece for a pee, two for a poop.

I don't like dog poop in my yard if I can help it. The pee soaks into the ground so fast, I can't even tell if she went by looking at it. Synthetic grass would certainly make it more complicated. I didn't even know they has such a thing for residential yards. Is that common in that part of the country?

Grasslands Liberty Belle "Bella" CDX BN PCD CGC UCD (Born 5-7-2012)
Nairb is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 AM
<><><><><>
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,868
Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhuynh2 View Post
OK there is something wrong with Molly because hers are 4 inches long and she still won't be done.. that is why I am having such a hard time picking them up!
It's normally a good size pile. If she doesn't really have to go, she'll squeeze out what she can to get the treat. I saw a couple of two inchers on that camping trip. I was impressed that she did it.

Grasslands Liberty Belle "Bella" CDX BN PCD CGC UCD (Born 5-7-2012)
Nairb is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome