Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florissant, Missouri, US
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Thanked 327 Times in 216 Posts
Chiming in here with our experience with the prong. We put Woody in a prong collar around 7 months at the recommendation of our trainer. We trained on loose leash walking with a flat buckle collar and positive reinforcement since we brought him home, and 90% of he time he was perfect. The other 10% of the time, when he was super excited to see another dog, or the 6 little girls that live next door, or if he knew he was going for a ride in the car, he would practically dislocate my shoulder. I'm just not as exciting as any of those things. What I love about the prong is it's self-correcting. All I need to do is brace and stop, and he corrects himself by pulling. He doesn't like the sensation, turns back to me, and gets praise, a treat, and the opportunity to do it correctly and get where he wants to go. We use the prong about half the time now and he rarely pulls. He sits nicely when it's time to put it on so I don't think he has any negative association with it. I think it's so much kinder than a dozen less effective correction with another type of collar.
Moses 1991-2004*Tucker 2002-2015*Daisy 2005-2017