Rehoming our sweet boy - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Gee
New Member
 
Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rehoming our sweet boy

Hello everyone,


We are looking to rehome our 8 month golden retriever. He is so sweet and loves to be with the family all the time. We recently had some changes in our job schedules and are away from home a lot. We have three kids and it is difficult to give him the time he deserves when we are taking our kids to their sports practice. He is so good with my kids ages 10, 8, and 6. He doesn't bite or jump on them. He listens when you tell him to stop. He just sleeps all day waiting for us to come home but needs someone who has more time for him. He requires a lot of human interaction. We feel sad and want the best for him. Does anyone know of anyone who is interested? There are so many creepers out there and want to make sure he goes to a good home. We would like to interview whoever may be interested.
-Very handsome
-No health issues
-Vaccines up to date
-Pure breed


~Gee
Gee is offline  
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Preeminent Member

 
mylissyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,745
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Images: 64
Thanks: 731
Thanked 6,495 Times in 3,554 Posts
If you purchased him from a breeder, you should contact them first to see if they will help rehome him. But only if they are a reputable conscientious breeder, not a back yard bred litter of puppies.

If the breeder is not an option, I strongly encourage you to work with a reputable Golden Retriever Rescue to find him a new home. There should be at least one in your state, if not several. You can find the list of rescues on the Golden Retriever Club of America's website.

National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

"To my mind, I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Mahatma Gandhi

Golden Retriever Rescue of North Texas
mylissyk is offline  
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mylissyk For This Useful Post:
ArchersMom (03-03-2019), brocksmom (03-12-2019), CAROLINA MOM (03-03-2019), dlmrun2002 (03-03-2019), Gee (03-03-2019), Hilabeans (03-04-2019), jennretz (03-03-2019), MaureenM (03-03-2019), MushyB (03-04-2019), Peri29 (03-03-2019), Romeo (03-13-2019), sam (03-19-2019)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:02 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Hello everyone,


We are looking to rehome our 8 month golden retriever. He is so sweet and loves to be with the family all the time. We recently had some changes in our job schedules and are away from home a lot. We have three kids and it is difficult to give him the time he deserves when we are taking our kids to their sports practice. He is so good with my kids ages 10, 8, and 6. He doesn't bite or jump on them. He listens when you tell him to stop. He just sleeps all day waiting for us to come home but needs someone who has more time for him. He requires a lot of human interaction. We feel sad and want the best for him. Does anyone know of anyone who is interested? There are so many creepers out there and want to make sure he goes to a good home. We would like to interview whoever may be interested.
-Very handsome
-No health issues
-Vaccines up to date
-Pure breed


~Gee
hello Gee and Family, MY family and I would definitely be interested re-homing your WONDERFUL golden boy!!!!! We are the proud owners of a 5yr old golden female named Holly and we totally understand the time and commitment it takes to be there for these AMAZING dogs. Please feel free to reach us by email @ [email protected] and we can discuss other details pertaining to your Wonderful family member. So sorry that your family has to make this very hard,hard decision. Looking forward to your email and further communications. Hoping to hear from you and your family soon!!
Hollys Mom is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollys Mom For This Useful Post:
brocksmom (03-12-2019), Gee (03-03-2019)
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
cwag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Thanks: 4,031
Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,386 Posts
I am sorry, I know that is a tough decision made in his best interest. I second the suggestion to contact a Golden Retriever rescue. They are experienced in finding good homes and trying to ensure a place he will be able to stay in and I don't think they are critical of those who want to give their dog a better situation.


Lyric Last Jedi - Call name Rukie Bear 05/2017
Eva Bear (Bichon) 09/2005 to 11/2018
Tawny Bear 01/2000 to 10/2012
Honeybear 01/1987 to 07/1999
cwag is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cwag For This Useful Post:
brocksmom (03-12-2019), Gee (03-03-2019), Peri29 (03-03-2019)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
4goldengirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 235
Thanked 1,140 Times in 575 Posts
Hi Gee, If you're a new member 'm not sure you can read/receive a private message, so I'll repost here. I'm so sorry to read that you've got to rehome your boy but I may be interested. Obviously, location is an important factor.

I currently have two spayed females and we keep active. They compete in obedience and my older one (coming up on 12 yrs in April) did very well. I'd like to get back into agility at some point. Also, all of my dogs have been and still are very active pet therapy dogs.

Thank you.


Skara Brae's Remy Martin
, BN, CD, CGC, TDI, TKI, THD
PAL Chloe's Golden Girl, CGC, TDIA, THD, TKN, TKI
Mandy's Golden Sunset II, CGC, RN, TDI, THD (rest in peace my sweet, sweet girl)
4goldengirls is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4goldengirls For This Useful Post:
jennretz (03-06-2019), migs (03-04-2019), Peri29 (03-03-2019), Wendy427 (03-03-2019)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator Leader

 
CAROLINA MOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC Coast
Posts: 42,592
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Thanks: 50,659
Thanked 40,899 Times in 21,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwag View Post
I am sorry, I know that is a tough decision made in his best interest. I second the suggestion to contact a Golden Retriever rescue. They are experienced in finding good homes and trying to ensure a place he will be able to stay in and I don't think they are critical of those who want to give their dog a better situation.
If you didn't get your boy from a reputable breeder in which you have a contract stating he has to be returned to them for any reason, a GR Rescue is a very good option.

GR Rescues have an Adoption Contract which states if an adopter can not care for the dog they adopted for any reason during the lifetime of the dog, the dog is to be returned to the GR Rescue.

I'm sorry your family is faced with making this difficult decision, I know it must be very hard for you but commend you for putting your boy's needs first.

Good luck with your decision.
CAROLINA MOM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CAROLINA MOM For This Useful Post:
Gee (03-03-2019)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Member
 
HollyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 79 Times in 35 Posts
Um - should this forum be acting as a free for all meet-up site for goldens who need homes, and potential new owners?
Wouldn't it be better if everyone who's struggling to find a good place for a golden, and those who can offer a really good home for this very special - and not necessarily easy to place - breed, goes through the local rescues?
Goldens are big, expensive, active and intelligent dogs. They need homes who can cope. Especially if their first home couldn't. A quick post, and response on an international website probably isn't the best way to mach up dogs and homes.
Just my 5p.
HollyB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyB For This Useful Post:
Prism Goldens (03-04-2019)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator Leader

 
CAROLINA MOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC Coast
Posts: 42,592
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Thanks: 50,659
Thanked 40,899 Times in 21,268 Posts
I joined the Forum in 2009, rehoming posts have always been allowed.

There is a list of members who have volunteered to help with transport. Over the years there have been several members that have taken Goldens from other members and several members have helped with the transport of getting them to their new home.
CAROLINA MOM is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CAROLINA MOM For This Useful Post:
ArkansasGold (03-04-2019), brocksmom (03-12-2019), Ivyacres (03-04-2019), jennretz (03-06-2019), Jessie'sGirl (03-04-2019), Neeko13 (03-03-2019), OscarsDad (03-06-2019)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Gee
New Member
 
Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLINA MOM View Post
If you didn't get your boy from a reputable breeder in which you have a contract stating he has to be returned to them for any reason, a GR Rescue is a very good option.

GR Rescues have an Adoption Contract which states if an adopter can not care for the dog they adopted for any reason during the lifetime of the dog, the dog is to be returned to the GR Rescue.

I'm sorry your family is faced with making this difficult decision, I know it must be very hard for you but commend you for putting your boy's needs first.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the information, but it would be hard for me to take him there. I don't see him as a rescue dog.
Gee is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gee For This Useful Post:
CAROLINA MOM (03-04-2019)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Gee
New Member
 
Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylissyk View Post
If you purchased him from a breeder, you should contact them first to see if they will help rehome him. But only if they are a reputable conscientious breeder, not a back yard bred litter of puppies.

If the breeder is not an option, I strongly encourage you to work with a reputable Golden Retriever Rescue to find him a new home. There should be at least one in your state, if not several. You can find the list of rescues on the Golden Retriever Club of America's website.

National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America
Thank you for the information.
Gee is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome