Long lasting puppy chews - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Katt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Long lasting puppy chews

Looking for something long lasting that Bonnie can chew on. Our vet recommended pork chops because their rawhide free. She love the pork chomps roasted twists. But because their just dried pig skin once she gets it wet she can very quickly eat it maybe about 15 mins at the most.
We’ve tried kong but peanut butter and yogurt both make her poop very soft (not diarrhea but close) and you can tell she’s uncomfortable when she poops after eating them.
She’s not a fan of her nylabones because the smell and flavor disappears after awhile.
Katt is offline  
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Member

 
jomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Thanks: 140
Thanked 101 Times in 76 Posts
I buy a lot of no hide chews (made from rice flour and agar-agar), bully sticks, beef trachea, and himalayan cheese chews. Have you tried any of these?

https://www.earthanimal.com/c/for-do...ide-dog-chews/
https://www.chewy.com/bones-chews-ju...-dog/dp/130504
https://www.chewy.com/bones-chews-be...reat/dp/163876
https://www.chewy.com/himalayan-dog-...reats/dp/47274

The bully sticks and esp beef trachea do smell a little depending on manufacturer, but the no hide chews and himalayan chews don't smell at all.
jomiel is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jomiel For This Useful Post:
Hilabeans (08-08-2019)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Andythom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
I tried no hides but eating about 1/3 of a stick resulted in my pup puking several times that night. Turns out he loves his antler. I was kind of surprised how quickly he took to it, but he chews on it every day. Probably not as enticing as peanut butter but they will last a long time with a puppy
Andythom is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 50
Thanked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I was advised not to give my pup antlers until she had her permanent teeth. I think it was recommended to hold off until after 6 months at least
LovedTessa is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Member
 
Andythom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovedTessa View Post
I was advised not to give my pup antlers until she had her permanent teeth. I think it was recommended to hold off until after 6 months at least
What’s the rationale? They don’t have very powerful jaws (at least not early on, my pup is 12w) and even puppy teeth are very hard, so i wouldn’t be surprised if they are less likely than an adult dog to break a tooth. I could be wrong though.
Andythom is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Andythom For This Useful Post:
Maggie'sVoice (08-13-2019)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Katt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomiel View Post
I buy a lot of no hide chews (made from rice flour and agar-agar), bully sticks, beef trachea, and himalayan cheese chews. Have you tried any of these?

https://www.earthanimal.com/c/for-do...ide-dog-chews/
https://www.chewy.com/bones-chews-ju...-dog/dp/130504
https://www.chewy.com/bones-chews-be...reat/dp/163876
https://www.chewy.com/himalayan-dog-...reats/dp/47274

The bully sticks and esp beef trachea do smell a little depending on manufacturer, but the no hide chews and himalayan chews don't smell at all.
No I haven’t thank you! I’ll look into them. Not sure about cheese since her stomach is sensitive to yogurt
Katt is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
Emmdenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Thanks: 515
Thanked 468 Times in 203 Posts
We have given Denver cow knuckles that are filled with peanut butter (red barn brand from chewy). They have lasted so long, and he'll chew on them on and off every day. they do crumble up a bit once they've really started to chew it, but nothing that a quick vacuum or sweep won't fix.
Emmdenn is online now  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Member
 
davmar77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Clifton Park NY
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 480 Times in 149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andythom View Post
What’s the rationale? They don’t have very powerful jaws (at least not early on, my pup is 12w) and even puppy teeth are very hard, so i wouldn’t be surprised if they are less likely than an adult dog to break a tooth. I could be wrong though.

we got antlers for amber when she was young but as she got older she would break large sharp pieces off which was not only a choking hazard but could cut her inside if swallowed. we haven't given her those since she was a few months old.
davmar77 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Andythom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davmar77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andythom View Post
What’s the rationale? They don’t have very powerful jaws (at least not early on, my pup is 12w) and even puppy teeth are very hard, so i wouldn’t be surprised if they are less likely than an adult dog to break a tooth. I could be wrong though.


we got antlers for amber when she was young but as she got older she would break large sharp pieces off which was not only a choking hazard but could cut her inside if swallowed. we haven't given her those since she was a few months old.
You got bad antlers. I’ve got some like that before and the seller quickly exchanged. Antlers shouldn’t chunk off or even splinter. They are likely old and weathered if they do that. We have another dog in the house that is an extremely heavy chewer and antlers last a long time.
Andythom is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Thanks: 264
Thanked 284 Times in 131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
Looking for something long lasting that Bonnie can chew on. Our vet recommended pork chops because their rawhide free. She love the pork chomps roasted twists. But because their just dried pig skin once she gets it wet she can very quickly eat it maybe about 15 mins at the most.
We’ve tried kong but peanut butter and yogurt both make her poop very soft (not diarrhea but close) and you can tell she’s uncomfortable when she poops after eating them.
She’s not a fan of her nylabones because the smell and flavor disappears after awhile.
Try filling the Kong with low sodium chicken broth, water, and kibble and freeze.

Also, were you using greek yogurt to fill the kong? It has significantly less lactose than regular yogurt.

eeerrrmmm1 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome