Join Date: Aug 2018
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Thanked 275 Times in 109 Posts
My Fireside Retriever Puppy - Giz-Moe Elbow & Sesamoid Problems
So many of you have probably seen my posts. Giz-Moe (Moe) has been having issues with his right front paw for a few months. He will be 10 months old next week, and has been having problems since November 12th. He is the smartest, sweetest puppy. He has tons of energy and natural talent. Our hope was for him to be a field trial dog, or at the very least a Master Hunter. We were retiring our older boy Duke from hunting. He learned so quickly and we were so excited for his future. We sent him to our trainer at 7 months and in the first three days he had him he was totally impressed. When they started doing pile work, and Moe actually started running he developed a limp, the first day. Our trainer called and we picked him up and took him to the vet within a few hours. Our vets first opinion was it was a soft tissue injury. We performed x-rays and everything looked fine.
We rested Moe for two weeks and returned to the Vet, nothing really changed. We repeated x-rays twice more and then saw another vet and they thought maybe it was Pano. This actually made me feel better because he would out grow it. We have continued going to the vet and resting Moe, which isn't fun for him or us. The hardest part is he can't play with Duke. We asked the Vet to repeat the x-rays again right after the Holidays. I think this was the 4th set. He did them from a different angle and immediately noticed that Moes' sesamoid bones were not correct. We sent the x-rays to several specialists and were very upset to learn that the specialists believed it was not only the right foot, but the bones are malformed in both feet. We were getting tired of waiting for appointments, and Moe continued to be sore so after another talk with our Vet we decided to take him to the ER at University of Pennsylvania. During our first visit there they thought that the problem was with both feet and his left elbow. Today we returned and after having 4 vets examine him their opinion is that there is a problem with both front feet, and both elbows.
We are devastated! I cried all the way home. We are taking him back to the hospital tomorrow to be sedated and have a CAT Scan done. We need the CAT Scan to make sure there isn't anything else, and to get the clearest picture of everything. The CAT Scan alone is $2000. I don't even want to add up what we've spent so far. This is not about the money. I just want him to be able to be a happy pain free puppy.
We have given up any hopes of field or hunt training. I just want him to be able to run in the yard and play with Duke. I have recently learned that one of his litter mates was diagnosed with pituitary dwarfism. (He has a go fund me page and a facebook page Maxwell Strong) This is a repeat breeding that has previously produced some wonderful competitive pups. They have excelled at hunting, agility, and dock diving. I've spoken to the breeder. He is concerned, but has no idea why these things happened in this litter.
I don't understand how this happens?? Both his parents are CHIC Certified through OFA. They have all the core clearances. The breeder is an AKC Breeder of Merit. This breeder co-owns the GRCA Outstanding DAM for 2015. (I believe that's the correct year) I know that with living things there are no guarantees, but I am truly heart broken. I'm hoping we can find someway to help him. The elbows are pretty straight forward, but the feet are sort of the loose end. I'm also just not sure about putting him through so much. They sent him home today on Gabapentin 300mg 3xs a day to help with the pain. He's not eating as well as he was, and seems to just be getting worse.
I've consulted with some of the best doctors. They have been so kind and helpful. I've researched everything, stem cells, hyaluronic acid, surgeries. We need prayers that tomorrow they can offer something positive. I just need something to begin to show a light at the end of the tunnel.
If anyone has ever been through anything like this please feel free to private message me, or post. I'm grasping at straws. I've also sent in an Embark Breeders DNA sample, but won't have the results of that for around two weeks. I have no intention of breeding him EVER. I'm just looking for answers and that seemed to be the most inclusive test. I've owned Golden's my entire life. I have never been through anything like this. You expect problems as your dogs age but a 9 month old puppy just shouldn't have pain like this.