Study on Low Taurine, Grain Free Foods and DCM in Goldens - Page 3 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Preeminent Member
 
cubbysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lee's Summit, MO (formally Franklin, MA)
Posts: 13,492
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Thanks: 6,146
Thanked 5,081 Times in 2,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
Some of whose best of the best lists?
What I meant is the ones that I saw they were having issues with are the ones that are always listed as 5 stars in any list I see, the ones that are always the ones highly recommended when going to the boutique pet food stores. The ones people are paying $90 a bag plus, because they are supposed to be good quality. I do not want to mention them by name because it was people on social media talking about that was the food they were giving their dogs ( it was a couple brands ) and they were tested as having this issue.

Marie, Brady, MacKenzie, Sailor, Kennedy and Junie
The Numbers Litter
cubbysan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cubbysan For This Useful Post:
hotel4dogs (07-06-2017)
post #22 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Preeminent Member
 
cubbysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lee's Summit, MO (formally Franklin, MA)
Posts: 13,492
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Thanks: 6,146
Thanked 5,081 Times in 2,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
One item of note for me. I would be very interested to know if the fact the formulations are grain free is more indicative of the problem than the reduction of meat is. I believe some grain-free formulations have meat and do NOT have legumes or soy and so may not have the same issues ...

Feeding primarily raw, I do not think this applies to my dogs -- however I do steer clear of ANY occassional kibble that limits meat and has soy or legumes. In my opinion, protein sources do matter and dogs need protein from meat sources.
That is my understanding that there is not enough protein in the food for the dogs to get the taurine.

Marie, Brady, MacKenzie, Sailor, Kennedy and Junie
The Numbers Litter
cubbysan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cubbysan For This Useful Post:
Sunrise (07-07-2017)
post #23 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Preeminent Member
 
hotel4dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SW of Chicago
Posts: 20,926
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Thanks: 25,944
Thanked 19,803 Times in 7,729 Posts
I was sort of picking on you. There are certain popular websites that rate foods with numbers of stars, based on their own beliefs and agendas, and completely unsubstantiated with any proof or research. Then people regurgitate the information and cite it as gospel truth. It makes me nuts. I find this situation to be yet more proof that one shouldn't pick their dog food based on self-proclaimed internet *experts* or on the advice of pet store employees, many of whom wouldn't know taurine from turpentine.
My vet and I were talking about this, and he said, "Grain free dog food just went from being the biggest marketing scam ever promoted by the dog food industry to becoming a health hazard besides".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbysan View Post
What I meant is the ones that I saw they were having issues with are the ones that are always listed as 5 stars in any list I see, the ones that are always the ones highly recommended when going to the boutique pet food stores. The ones people are paying $90 a bag plus, because they are supposed to be good quality. I do not want to mention them by name because it was people on social media talking about that was the food they were giving their dogs ( it was a couple brands ) and they were tested as having this issue.



CH Rosewood Little Giant VCD3 UDX VER RA TDX MHU SH MXP MJP MFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG (born 3-10-2007), also UCH HR UH UUD AN UJJ URO1 UHIT a.k.a. "Tito" (the Tito Monster)

waiting at the bridge:
My first dog, and my most special girl
Gibson's Golden Girl, CD, CGC, TDI ( 3-20-1997 - 11-22-2013) a.k.a. "Tiny", "Queen B"
and my heart dog
Gibson's Golden Guy, CD, CGC, TDI ( 01-31-1998 - 01-02-2012) a.k.a. "Toby", "HRH"
hotel4dogs is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hotel4dogs For This Useful Post:
cubbysan (07-07-2017), jeffscott947 (06-11-2019), Sweet Girl (07-08-2017), yvette (06-02-2018)
post #24 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kalhayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 2,391
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,205
Thanked 3,620 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
I was sort of picking on you. There are certain popular websites that rate foods with numbers of stars, based on their own beliefs and agendas, and completely unsubstantiated with any proof or research. Then people regurgitate the information and cite it as gospel truth. It makes me nuts. I find this situation to be yet more proof that one shouldn't pick their dog food based on self-proclaimed internet *experts* or on the advice of pet store employees, many of whom wouldn't know taurine from turpentine.
My vet and I were talking about this, and he said, "Grain free dog food just went from being the biggest marketing scam ever promoted by the dog food industry to becoming a health hazard besides".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbysan View Post
What I meant is the ones that I saw they were having issues with are the ones that are always listed as 5 stars in any list I see, the ones that are always the ones highly recommended when going to the boutique pet food stores. The ones people are paying $90 a bag plus, because they are supposed to be good quality. I do not want to mention them by name because it was people on social media talking about that was the food they were giving their dogs ( it was a couple brands ) and they were tested as having this issue.
And what does one do if their dog reacts negatively to grain? I don't want her itching incessantly, but I don't want her ill from grain free either.

Short of going RAW, which scares me that I won't be able to ensure adequate balances of nutrition- what does one do?
Kalhayd is offline  
post #25 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,009
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Thanks: 3,672
Thanked 4,465 Times in 1,974 Posts
Not to further complicate the issue (and if I am I apologize) but I have noticed a great many treats lately which are grain free also have peas, soybeans, etc. added to them as an ingredient as well. In some cases as the second ingredient. I just took a look at one of the treat bags in my kitchen that I got recently. Not going to say the name but it is one of the five star ones... ingredients as follows: "Rabbit, peas, potatoes, garbanzo beans, flax seed, molasses, dried egg product, citric acid, sweet potatoes, salmon oil..." I am wondering if, in addition to what we are giving them in their bowls every day we should maybe also be looking much more carefully at their treats? Generally I give the dehydrated sweet potatoes and apples that I make and also green beans and string cheese but once in a while I am lazy and buy a bag of treats (and I admit I am really bad and give my coonhound yogurt Fruitables because he is a Fruitable addict) so I guess I am going to have to be much more careful reading the labels on the treats than I have been!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"In rescuing animals I lost my mind....but found my soul"
G-bear is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to G-bear For This Useful Post:
jennretz (07-09-2017)
post #26 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
solinvictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Images: 4
Thanks: 2,742
Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,001 Posts
There are pre-packaged RAW (just to show one, you can do your research for others that may be easy to get in your area. https://www.darwinspet.com/product/raw-dog-food-ns/ where you can buy different varieties to ensure a balanced diet.

Pro Plan makes a sensitive skin and stomach kibble. The ingredient page below.
https://www.proplan.com/dogs/product...anteedanalysis

I would think other companies would also have limited ingredient foods if pro plan won't work for Dory.

Wether we are satisfied with the foods our dogs are eating now it is always good to have an idea what else is out there in case there would ever be a reason to change.



A Dog Is A Commitment For The Life Of The Dog
solinvictus is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Kalhayd (07-07-2017), PRolla (07-24-2017), Tahnee GR (07-07-2017)
post #27 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
murphy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: ny
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Images: 1
Thanks: 1,690
Thanked 1,346 Times in 954 Posts
SO,,,,,if a grain free food lists four or five different types of fish as the first ingredients, will that provide the meat needed to supply enough high quality protein? Natures Varienty Instinct Salmon just changed their formula and it seems pretty good. Anyone have an opinion???

murphy1 is offline  
post #28 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kalhayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 2,391
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,205
Thanked 3,620 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus View Post
There are pre-packaged RAW (just to show one, you can do your research for others that may be easy to get in your area. https://www.darwinspet.com/product/raw-dog-food-ns/ where you can buy different varieties to ensure a balanced diet.

Pro Plan makes a sensitive skin and stomach kibble. The ingredient page below.
https://www.proplan.com/dogs/product...anteedanalysis

I would think other companies would also have limited ingredient foods if pro plan won't work for Dory.

Wether we are satisfied with the foods our dogs are eating now it is always good to have an idea what else is out there in case there would ever be a reason to change.
So how do you know how much to feed? The link you provided shows per pound. So if it's 10 pounds, how much total per day? Right now she gets 1.5 cups in the AM and 1 cup in the evening.

Also, do you need to gradually introduce- like you would for regular kibble?

We tried purina pro in all varieties and she didn't do well on it. :/
Kalhayd is offline  
post #29 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kalhayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 2,391
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,205
Thanked 3,620 Times in 1,214 Posts
Never mind- the site suggest 10 pounds a week for her.
Kalhayd is offline  
post #30 of 371 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kalhayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 2,391
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,205
Thanked 3,620 Times in 1,214 Posts
And we didn't try the sensitive stomach salmon, I believe the one we tried was lamb... so we could try that, too. Ugh. I hate switching her up if she's doing well. :/ this stuff is so hard & scary!
Kalhayd is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalhayd For This Useful Post:
hotel4dogs (07-07-2017)
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome