Vestibular Disease? - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mjbaker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
Vestibular Disease?

We have a 12 1/2 year old Male golden rescue. We have had him for 8 1/2 years and he has been relatively healthy most of his life. He takes normal medication for his thyroid and some arthritis medicine as well.

He goes the vet regularly and has blood work done a couple times a year. He eats Fromm and a mixture of rice/green beans/chicken for his meals with fish oil and glucosamine.

I came home for lunch as I do daily and checked on him and let him out to go pee and no issues at all ( this was around 11am Friday). He was normal and active and had no issues and he ate and peed and pooped after breakfast.

About 30 minutes into my lunch he started to get what I would call baby giraffe legs and had trouble standing and looked completely lost/disoriented. I thought it was a seizure and immediately tried to get him to stay on our carpet and lay down and keep him safe. He stopped and was able to get up and lay by our fireplace ( on the tile he enjoys). He then got up about 10 minutes later ( he was restless the whole time) and came into the kitchen where I was and laid down for 5 minutes.

After the 5 minutes he started to have his standing/walking issues and tried to go outside. I feared he might be dying and trying to find somewhere to lay down and die. I called our vet immediately and she had me bring him in. He threw up in the car and was nervous.

We got him into the vets office and he appeared to have steadier and calmer breathing etc. The vet immediately came in and diagnosed it at Vestibular.

She gave him an anti-biotic shot, stuff for nausea, and told us to monitor him.

Yesterday he couldn't stand or get around without my assistance and I carried him outside every 4 hours to use the bathroom and to get him up. I laid on the floor next to him last night and miraculously at 6am he was standing on his own and woke me up.

Today he can stand on his own ( still a bit shaky and unsure of himself) and he can walk short distances outside on his own. I have been letting him rest as much as possible today.

Is this normal or should I expect setbacks with this? IS there anything to monitor to make sure it doesn't happen again?

mjbaker84 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mjbaker84 For This Useful Post:
jeffscott947 (06-17-2019)
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Thanks: 487
Thanked 258 Times in 137 Posts
Hopefully it will resolve in 3-4 weeks. It will be on & off and hopefully with time he will get back to himself. Since he will have nausea&vertigo problems, he may not drink & eat normally. Which of course first of all dehydration and loss of electrolytes. If the situation worsens, always recommended to treat him at the vet.And for this period, prepare him snacks that he loves most. He will have less appetit. Keep strong big boy. You are panicked at the moment but it will be all Ok. Thank you for rescuing and being next to him. Big big hug to him
Peri29 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mjbaker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri29 View Post
Hopefully it will resolve in 3-4 weeks. It will be on & off and hopefully with time he will get back to himself. Since he will have nausea&vertigo problems, he may not drink & eat normally. Which of course first of all dehydration and loss of electrolytes. If the situation worsens, always recommended to treat him at the vet.And for this period, prepare him snacks that he loves most. He will have less appetit. Keep strong big boy. You are panicked at the moment but it will be all Ok. Thank you for rescuing and being next to him. Big big hug to him

thank you!


He is actually drinking and eating identical to how he was before the issue. His appetite and water intake are both extremely strong and haven't changed. I'm hoping he is the exception to the rule?


How should I monitor him while at work? Kennel him until I come home for lunch?

mjbaker84 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mjbaker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
Also is this something that will come back in the future randomly?

mjbaker84 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Thanks: 487
Thanked 258 Times in 137 Posts
I am not sure if you should kennel him. I would suggest to place him to an area /room which is covered with wall to wall carpets so that he does not slip if he looses balance. Since he is old we wouldn't like him to hurt himself and deal with another health issues. And caged dogs have more difficulty to vomit if they are confined and he will feel frustrated.
I am very happy that he drinks and eats as before which is a very quick advancement))
Peri29 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
mjbaker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
thanks!
It couldn't have happened at a better time wise... I was able to stay home the rest of Friday and spend all weekend with him. My family is in from out of town and one of them will stay with him for part of monday as well. That helps for sure!

mjbaker84 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Karen
 
KKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks: 3,556
Thanked 1,340 Times in 745 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your sweet boy. There are some threads that have information which may be of help.

This one has a description of things that I did when my girl Merry had Vestibular Disease
https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...r-disease.html (Total inability to stand w/vestibular disease?)

Put Vestibular Disease in the search box in the banner at the top right to see other threads.

Sending love and hugs

***************************


Merry's story: https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...sure-path.html

Glimmer (Bounderhill Ray Of White CGC and S.T.A.R. Puppy):
https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...3-glimmer.html

***************************
KKaren is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KKaren For This Useful Post:
Peri29 (05-05-2019)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
mjbaker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKaren View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your sweet boy. There are some threads that have information which may be of help.

This one has a description of things that I did when my girl Merry had Vestibular Disease
https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...r-disease.html (Total inability to stand w/vestibular disease?)

Put Vestibular Disease in the search box in the banner at the top right to see other threads.

Sending love and hugs



Thanks!


Well Mack is going back to the vet tomorrow. It seems some of his symptoms have returned.


He has the head tilt and loss of balance sometimes and general lack of unsureness of himself.


I will update if there is anything new to report.

mjbaker84 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Jmcarp83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Thanks: 79
Thanked 245 Times in 141 Posts
How did yours turn out with everything? My 13.5 yo lab Sunday night started this. And I kept saying, “Oh gosh. You look like a drunk sailor” and she was splaying too like a baby giraffe. And if she leans too far to the left she’ll start to fall over. She had nausea and won’t touch her kibble since Monday. Had a few bites then on Monday night. From what I understand they may not feel like eating? She’s drinking more than she normally drinks though, which I guess is good so she does dehydrate. She’s on Cerenia for nausea and she’ll eat some hand feed eggs/bananas/chicken. But again no kibble. She does ear infections in both ears, so we are treating that too. I keep thinking of what my vet told me last year w/ my golden when she had cancer, “When they stop eating their food and only the good stuff we worry.” But the vet who saw her didn’t seem to phased by the fact she’s not eating.
Jmcarp83 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mjbaker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 164 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarp83 View Post
How did yours turn out with everything? My 13.5 yo lab Sunday night started this. And I kept saying, “Oh gosh. You look like a drunk sailor” and she was splaying too like a baby giraffe. And if she leans too far to the left she’ll start to fall over. She had nausea and won’t touch her kibble since Monday. Had a few bites then on Monday night. From what I understand they may not feel like eating? She’s drinking more than she normally drinks though, which I guess is good so she does dehydrate. She’s on Cerenia for nausea and she’ll eat some hand feed eggs/bananas/chicken. But again no kibble. She does ear infections in both ears, so we are treating that too. I keep thinking of what my vet told me last year w/ my golden when she had cancer, “When they stop eating their food and only the good stuff we worry.” But the vet who saw her didn’t seem to phased by the fact she’s not eating.

Well he tries to act the same, but his balance isn't anywhere like it was.


He still eats like normal, drinks a little less water, but loves his treats. He gets short walks every once in a while.


I think he will have the head tilt and slight uneasy balance for the rest of his life.


When he went back, he got more antibiotics and that seemed to help a bit.


Good luck with your golden! hopefully antibiotics help her as well!

mjbaker84 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome