Scissors - Curved Blade - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JulesAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 86
Thanked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Scissors - Curved Blade

Now that Maggie is really getting her coat I am looking to get some grooming tools. Was watching a video of someone trimming feet and they were using a curved scissor that looked like it worked really well to trim the fluff on the feet. Is there a brand someone could recommend and a size? I am getting overwhelmed with all of the options.
Also, is there a kit that is worth the money or should I really purchase each one on its own?

Thanks for all of the help!

Jules
JulesAK is offline  
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member
 
Prism Goldens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ocala,FL
Posts: 5,628
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Images: 1
Thanks: 3,915
Thanked 6,578 Times in 3,001 Posts
my favorite scissors ever ever are Geibs 7" curves.
Mine are easily 20 years old and I need to replace them but the newer ones don't have the same weight in my hand.
Geib Buttercut
I think buying by the piece is smarter.
Thinners I love are made by Chona-https://www.chonashears.net/
Prism Goldens is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prism Goldens For This Useful Post:
Jake Payne (06-22-2019), KKaren (05-05-2019)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JulesAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 86
Thanked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prism Goldens View Post
my favorite scissors ever ever are Geibs 7" curves.
Mine are easily 20 years old and I need to replace them but the newer ones don't have the same weight in my hand.
Geib Buttercut
I think buying by the piece is smarter.
Thinners I love are made by Chona-https://www.chonashears.net/
Fantastic! Thank you so much for the recommendations. The video makes me thing I can do this on my own

Jules
JulesAK is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JulesAK For This Useful Post:
MissBella (07-08-2019)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Golden Ret Enthusiast
 
Maggie'sVoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Thanks: 895
Thanked 697 Times in 458 Posts
I use a nice thinning shear and a slicker brush to trim the top and edges of the feet and a blunt tip 5 inch scissor for around the paw pads. I found a video showing this method if you want to see it.



Eric
Golden Enthusiast


Maggie'sVoice is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maggie'sVoice For This Useful Post:
DblTrblGolden2 (05-06-2019), KKaren (05-05-2019)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JulesAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 86
Thanked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sVoice View Post
I use a nice thinning shear and a slicker brush to trim the top and edges of the feet and a blunt tip 5 inch scissor for around the paw pads. I found a video showing this method if you want to see it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS0nK-0dhbY
Thank you very much for this video. This method looks like it would be very forgiving for a beginner like me

Jules
JulesAK is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Kate
 
Megora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 19,993
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Thanks: 9,238
Thanked 15,140 Times in 7,691 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/ConairPRO-Dog...r=8-3-fkmrnull

^^^ These are my favorite shears. I use these for EVERYTHING with the feet, front leg feathers, and tail.

Because they are so cheap, I don't mind reaching for them before everything else - especially when I'm grooming a dirty dog.

Would I use them on the ears or hocks? NOOOOO!!!!

But this follows that I do not have 1 pair of shears that does everything. Even though, yes, I have a favorite pair of shears which can do most basics.

What this means is - YES, you DO need to get more than 1 pair of shears for grooming your dogs. But probably not a great idea getting a set.

https://www.amazon.com/Ed-Geib-Pcs-G...s%2C165&sr=8-5

^^^ This is a pretty good set, except I would never use the curved shears. For the purpose of shaping around a dog's foot - these 8.5 shears would be way too big. Something like 6-7" would be better. But if you get this set, means you would be stuck with a pair that you'd never use.

I have Kenchi 5 Star curved shears for feet. <= Mind, I am NOT using this to trim heavy bulk around or under the feet. That is why I have the Conairs + pull my clippers out. The Kenchi's are more for shaping and light use. Because I don't want them going dull.

Same thing with thinning shears - there is a use for them on or around feet as a finishing product and a shaper, but you do not want to use on heavy bulk around the foot. That will KILL your thinning shears.

I have a small pair of 5 star thinning shears - and I use these on both feet and ears. Not heavy duty stuff. Just finishing.

Ears - I have a 8.5" straight shear (I think the one I reach for all the time is Dubl Duck Mercedes). I need a sharp edge + length of blade to do a good clean cut along the edge of the ears.

Before I bring the thinning shears out - I use a stripper on the ears and under them. Again, the stripper is about $30-40. And the thinning shears cost about $100 to replace. So heavy work - I use the cheaper tool. Thinning shears come out when I'm finishing up.

Pictures, you can kinda see sort of what you are aiming for.

Biggest advice is until all of this is old hat to you and you are not really thinking so much about "how" to do something and just doing it.... don't try to do everything all at once. And check around to see if anyone in your area who does all this the right way would show you hands-on how to groom your dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59489646_2194802180566536_255028045570637824_n.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	815986  
Attached Images
 

Megora is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JulesAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 86
Thanked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megora View Post
https://www.amazon.com/ConairPRO-Dog...r=8-3-fkmrnull

^^^ These are my favorite shears. I use these for EVERYTHING with the feet, front leg feathers, and tail.

Because they are so cheap, I don't mind reaching for them before everything else - especially when I'm grooming a dirty dog.

Would I use them on the ears or hocks? NOOOOO!!!!

But this follows that I do not have 1 pair of shears that does everything. Even though, yes, I have a favorite pair of shears which can do most basics.

What this means is - YES, you DO need to get more than 1 pair of shears for grooming your dogs. But probably not a great idea getting a set.

https://www.amazon.com/Ed-Geib-Pcs-G...s%2C165&sr=8-5

^^^ This is a pretty good set, except I would never use the curved shears. For the purpose of shaping around a dog's foot - these 8.5 shears would be way too big. Something like 6-7" would be better. But if you get this set, means you would be stuck with a pair that you'd never use.

I have Kenchi 5 Star curved shears for feet. <= Mind, I am NOT using this to trim heavy bulk around or under the feet. That is why I have the Conairs + pull my clippers out. The Kenchi's are more for shaping and light use. Because I don't want them going dull.

Same thing with thinning shears - there is a use for them on or around feet as a finishing product and a shaper, but you do not want to use on heavy bulk around the foot. That will KILL your thinning shears.

I have a small pair of 5 star thinning shears - and I use these on both feet and ears. Not heavy duty stuff. Just finishing.

Ears - I have a 8.5" straight shear (I think the one I reach for all the time is Dubl Duck Mercedes). I need a sharp edge + length of blade to do a good clean cut along the edge of the ears.

Before I bring the thinning shears out - I use a stripper on the ears and under them. Again, the stripper is about $30-40. And the thinning shears cost about $100 to replace. So heavy work - I use the cheaper tool. Thinning shears come out when I'm finishing up.

Pictures, you can kinda see sort of what you are aiming for.

Biggest advice is until all of this is old hat to you and you are not really thinking so much about "how" to do something and just doing it.... don't try to do everything all at once. And check around to see if anyone in your area who does all this the right way would show you hands-on how to groom your dog.
Gorgeous pictures Kate and thanks for sharing. Really good point about using the less costly for the bulk of the work. I appreciate your recommendations.

Jules
JulesAK is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Golden Ret Enthusiast
 
Maggie'sVoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Thanks: 895
Thanked 697 Times in 458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesAK View Post
Thank you very much for this video. This method looks like it would be very forgiving for a beginner like me

Jules
I've been doing my own dogs feet and ears for maybe a decade now. Every time I try a different method I fine I don't like it much and always go back to this. It is very forgiving and hard to mess up. Plus I like the cat paw look. Using scissors when I do feet three to make the paw look like it has long toes lol yikes!

There is another video for ears I liked and uses thinking shears as well. Makes for a nice blended, neat ear but it requires more tools. I've learned to do ears with just a thinning shear similar to the link below.

Morningsage Goldens Grooming


Sorry, forgot to link the video. This one takes a bit longer too.

Eric
Golden Enthusiast



Last edited by Maggie'sVoice; 05-05-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Maggie'sVoice is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maggie'sVoice For This Useful Post:
DblTrblGolden2 (05-06-2019), JulesAK (05-05-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome