Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Another "new Golden owner" question

522 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  spruce 
#1 ·
Where are the problem areas for matting on Goldens? I brush Trixie out 3+ times per week, and was just curious about the areas where they're prone to it.

She had mats in her tail feathers and behind her ears when we came to us. Any other areas to watch out for?

#3 ·
My baby also gets mats at his ears, tail, belly, and the worst ones are what would be our underarms....... That is such a hard area for me to brush.
He also will get them in his mane.... he is curly and when it is humid out, he gets ringlets!!!

#4 ·
I agree with the others. Back of the ears, tail, legs and belly. I just got done brushing 4 of mine after the baths and found one on the back of Daisy's leg.

#6 ·
I appreciate the help. Every other dog I've ever owned has been short haired, and brushing them was more because they liked it rather than needed it.

Trixie really likes the inspection behind the ears. She'd let me inspect all day. Getting rid of those... another story. That's why I really want to make sure I'm catching these very early, so it's easier on her to get rid of them. The tailfeathers and "underarms" don't bother her as much, but she seems to be a bit sensitive behind the ears.

It's really nice to have you good folks to get advice from!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.