Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Time to build a fence

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  NuttinButGoldens 
#1 ·
I posted a note in February about fencing off about an acre of my 40 acre prairie for my goldens, Willie and Mollie, to allow them to have a controlled "roaming" area. Those who read my original post might remember that they like to take neighborhood excursions (long ones) when they get the chance or when they are after a critter. It's finally warm enough to get serious about this project. I plan to use a woven wire fence and am thinking about "goat fence" because it is not really heavy and has 4'x4' squares. It is lighter than good old "hog fence" and more sturdy than welded wire fence. It is 48 inches high. Will this contain the average golden? I had a Brittany spaniel that could climb a 48 inch fence. I had to put a top strand of electric wire to convince him that fence climbing was not a a skill that I valued in my pups.

Any suggestions about fence height or type of fence? I appreciated the comments made to my February post.

Oh, the pups have not been allowed out without a leash since the February romp. There are simply too many "wild smells" for them to be allowed off leash. We ALL have had lots of exercise.

Tom

#4 ·
I have a four foot fence at the back of my yard with woods behind us and the pups have never tried to jump it even if the tennis ball goes over it or chasing a critter that has come in the yard.

#5 ·
I had a Pyrenean Shepherd who could jump anything up to 6ft tall so it depends of the dog!.Priska can jump a 4ft high fence but will only do it,on command!!.

#6 ·
We have wood fencing on the front and sides (6 foot) and chain link (5 foot) along the back (we have woods behind us). We've never had a problem with our sheltie or first golden. Darby went through the wood fence when one of the slats fell (he just pushed two other out and went for a walk) once we fixed it he was fine. Kirby dug under the chain link several times before we had enough obstruction (and she got big enough) to get stuck. Then never tried again. It's great because I can let them out anytime and they run and run, wrestle and oh yeah DIG!!!

#8 ·
I am looking at something similar. The one I looked at has smaller openings which I may go with to keep other smaller animals out. I think the rabbits around here would get through the larger squares. What do you plan on using for posts?

#13 ·
Wow--- Looks great! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.