Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Kismet ate a corn cob!!

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Alynnw 
#1 ·
I am freaking out here. We were out hiking this morning and Kismet found a corn cob and started eating it but we managed to get most of it out of his mouth. While putting the remains in a bag, we didn't realize he had found another one and by the time I got to him it looks like he swallowed it whole. About aa 4 inch length. I called the emergency vet and they said nothing can be done now but to watch him for symptoms(ie throwing up, not keeping food or water down lethargy) but it could take several days. The vet said he may throw it up or pass it but I am so worried. Please pray for him to upchuck it!!

#6 ·
Barnaby ate a corn cob and a foot long rope once, they passed through thank goodness!. It's a worry though, I hope Kismet is OK and things make a natural transition.

#10 ·
Can't guarantee that you will have a happy ending as we did, but twenty years ago our fifty pound girl counter surfed FOUR corn cobs (about 4", like yours) in the less than thirty seconds I was out of the kitchen. She had never done this before, and it was so fast I didn't even know she had done it. I kept thinking I had absentmindedly misplaced the cobs somewhere. Three days later she threw them all up. All the niblets had been digested off the cobs. Nowadays, I, too, would be worried, but dogs do have that easy vomit reflex because they are such opportunistic eaters. Keep hopeful.

#12 ·
Keep a close watch on him for any discomfort. I don't know if your vet did an x-ray yet but they are very hard to spot on one. Years ago my mom's dog did the same, swallowed half a corn cob, she didn't see him eat it only noticed symptoms of discomfort and not being able to pass his stool. On the first visit the Dr. examined him and took an x-ray but couldn't find anything. A couple of days later with no change she went back and another x-ray was taken and the Dr. was able to see it and having a clearer understanding of a location was able to feel it. He ended up needing successful surgery to remove it. Hopefully things will go easier for you, at least you already know what to look for. Good luck

#13 ·
I was also wondering why they didn't induce vomiting, but maybe too much time had already passed. I do hope he is okay. Maybe he managed to chew it up enough that it won't cause any issues. Please let us know how he's doing!

#15 ·
A few days ago, he threw up a close to 2 inch piece and there was a small bit in his poop Saturday morning. We saw the vet Saturday and she said it could take 21 days for it to pass or cause a blockage. He has no discomfort so far and we are pushing at his stomach area here and there to check for that as she recommended. The vet said there is a good possibility he could still throw it up or pass it but a blockage is of course still a possibility. Watching him like a hawk.

#16 ·
If it makes you feel any better, my goldens both ate more corncobs than I could count! We live in the country surrounded by cornfields. Plus its a big thing in my family to get together and shuck, boil, cut, bag, and freeze bushel upon bushel upon bushel of sweetcorn-like enough to last each family for the year! We usually did that at my grandma's house in town, and then my dad and another uncle who also lives in the country would take all the husks and cobs out and throw them in the fields. The dogs would inevitably find the place dad threw them and feast on corn cobs. Never bothered either one and Autumn lived to be 15 1/2. April is 8-she even has a more sensitive stomach and they don't seem to bother her unless she really pigs out before I catch her (and she can down an awful lot of food in less than 30 seconds!) Neither ever had issues with blockage or anything, never had to take them to the vet over it.

Edit to Add: the corncobs my girls ate were from corn that had been boiled so that the corn could be cut off the cob to bag and freeze-don't know if that makes a difference in how easily it will pass through them or not, but like I said, my girls have never had trouble and they've certainly gotten a lot when my back was turned for 3 seconds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.