Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums - View Single Post - Itchy Golden Pup! Chicken??
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
rosiegirl1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Itchy Golden Pup! Chicken??

Hello! I have a sweet 5 month golden pup. For the first 3-4 months, we fed her Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy, and she was doing great on it until suddenly developed bouts of loose stools. After a few weeks of trying the bland diet and antibiotics/probiotics, my vet recommended we start feeding her Purina EN prescription food. It has been about a month and she no longer has diarrhea, but she has dry, flakey skin and is so itchy! She has developed a small bald spot on her hip from biting herself so much. It isn't irritated or red, but it shows that she is scratching more aggressively lately. She was also diagnosed with her second ear infection today. My vet is treating her ear infection and dry skin, but I can't help but wonder if she has an allergy to something in the food. I have heard that goldens can be prone to allergies from chicken products, which both of the foods we used with her have. I am skeptical that a prescription diet is necessary for her without trying anything else first. My dad swears that both of the goldens we had growing up had ear infections and itchiness that was solved when he started using food without chicken products. Has anyone experienced a chicken intolerance with their pup, and how did you figure out our dog's symptoms were related to chicken products? Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by rosiegirl1; 04-09-2019 at 09:46 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome