Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

'Consequences' of Cache

14K views 135 replies 20 participants last post by  jennretz 
#1 ·
Cache arrived with the hopes of helping to heal a couple of aching hearts. Hubby was missing his border collie, Buddy who crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago, the ache in my heart still fresh and so new, after losing my boy Charlie 5 months ago - big job for such a small boy.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

He came not so that we might forget those who have gone before, but to make remembering easier, and he has done just that!
He has filled our hearts with such joy, our home with 'sunshine', the kind of sunshine that comes from that border collie spunk and joy of life.

Grass Canidae Dog Grass family Dog breed

Dog Canidae Grass Puppy Lawn

Mammal Dog Canidae Border collie Dog breed

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Australian collie Dog breed

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Australian collie Dog breed

Dog Canidae Dog breed Puppy Snout

We begin a new journey, blessed with the joy, the wonder and awe of giving a loving home to a loving pup, one who, without a doubt will help to heal our hearts, will in time show us who he is, as we keep our promise to him, to help him become all he can be.

We look forward to the journey to destinations unknown, it is the journey that matters most of all!

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you! Yes, those two boys did a fantastic job with us, and Cache will benefit from all their wisdom that they have shared with us.

I am sure Luna would be thrilled to have a spunky best friend!

Reactions: LynnC
#6 ·
Border collies have a special place in my heart after knowing so many wonderful BCs. This is a picture of Kaizer with my trainer's BC and my other friend's golden. Samone is a love. I don't have any pictures, but I have a friend with 6 border collies - she got a puppy earlier this year and then her old man (and her first dog) ended up passing away from cancer a couple months later. Her puppy is the sweetest thing ever and her old man was such a good boy too. I have another friend who just sent home her first litter of working line border collie puppies. She kept one, a little tri girl she named Style.

Cache is very cute! As border collies tend to do, I'm sure he'll go beyond and above what you hoped for him.

Attachments

#7 ·
He's adorable! Congrats

Reactions: Charliethree
#8 ·
I am sure he has come to teach us many things! He is so smart, and unbelievably fast for a puppy! The 'zoomies' are hilarious to watch. Watching him trying to herd the two goldens is so cute, and amazing to see, though I am sure he is thinking those are the most stubborn 'sheep' that he will ever run across.

#9 ·
He's beautiful! I must admit I was on the fence between border collies & goldens when I got Sipsy. I just couldn't find a good breeder in this area. They are a great size and so much fun. My very 1st dog was a border collie... way back when, long before they were accepted into the AKC. I was only 12 but this was the dog that opened my life to obedience.
Enjoy your pup!

#13 ·
Oh yes! I am seeing little things that Cache does that Charlie did, like getting that paw into the action when I am not quick enough delivering the treats, going to be fun when he finds his bark, too. His little 'sassy' ways - 'I am coming, just a sec!! ' , he is quick to learn, can see his eyes light up, the smile on his face, thoroughly enjoying it, soaking it all in. Didn't take him long to find Charlie's favorite digging spot under the picnic table and to 'dive right in' - had a blast at it.

#17 ·
Cache had some visitors yesterday, my son and his family and their dog Wicket, a shitzu cross stopped by for a visit. Though Cache is always super excited to meet new people, meeting another dog was something new for him, and not something Wicket has a lot of experience with. Wicket was unsure, a bit 'growly' to begin with, Cache was cautious, but curious and wanted to play. It took a while for them to get 'acquainted', to feel at ease enough to play, and play they did! A game of chase around the yard, Wicket running in wide circles, Cache trying his hardest to keep up, get in front and head him off. Could hear the occasional whine from Cache in frustration but he wouldn't give it up, he just kept trying. I suspect that it won't be long before Cache is the faster one, once he gets his feet coordinated and heading in the same direction, and a 'game plan' mapped out in his head.

#21 ·
A bit about Cache - discovering 'who' he is.

I am in awe of how well equipped puppies are to survive in their world, the natural instincts, to flee and hide at the sound of a bark, the dog 'language' they are born with and the knowledge of how to use it, and given the opportunity just 'know' to keep their quarters clean. Equally impressive is understanding that they are born knowing little to nothing about the human world, all the sights, smells, and sounds and human ways that they must experience and 'cache' for future reference. It is no wonder puppies sleep so much, learning is hard work.

Cache has been a joy, a delight, a wonder, a beautiful ray of sunshine. I love his inquisitive nature, a touch of independence, a whole bunch of cuddly, squirmy puppy to love. He loves to learn, the head tilt, the little whine when he is confused, please explain that again, makes me smile, warms my heart and reminds me how precise and consistent I need to be when teaching and rehearsing new skills. He learned quickly to 'touch' his nose the flat of my hand, a game he loves to play, but when I was teaching 'shake a paw' I naturally offered my open hand, confused he was not sure 'Do I use my nose or my paw?' so I have to remind myself, because he does remember it, that a closed fist, facing up is the cue for 'shake' and the visual cue for 'leave it' is a closed fist, facing down. One wouldn't think a puppy or a dog would notice such a small detail, but they do, and we need to be mindful that they often are doing what we have asked them to do, even if it is not what we think we are asking of them.

He comes with a busy, and brilliant mind and equally busy mouth filled with those sharp puppy teeth to be used to taste and chew - checking for edibility- whenever possible, just about anything. Sticks, leaves, flowers, pieces of paper, and of course the favorite, - the shoe. Not averse to trying his teeth on the other dogs, he has learned quickly that he must be gentle or he will be instantly, and fairly, 'told' in no uncertain terms not to do 'that' again. Ears, legs, and tails are not toys, and deserve to be treated with gentleness and respect, lessons he doesn't often forget.

I love his zoomies, his love of chasing pretty much anything that moves and fetch, and of course, his deep desire to move and control those golden 'sheep' who have not caught on to the concept.
I love his spunk, his curiousity, his joy of life, his one desire to have a ton of fun, and I do love that he has an 'off switch' - once activated, one can be sure of a good nights sleep, or at least a couple of hours at a time during the day to spend with the rest of the crew and getting some work done.

#22 ·
I am glad you are enjoying his puppyhood. I agree it is amazing how they are equipped to cope with life. Last week Rukie learned he could swim. We don't teach them to swim we just help them discover that they can.

Reactions: Charliethree
#25 ·
Life with a 'rocket', Cache is a very busy boy, not knowing what is going to happen next, what he might be into, where he might be, though usually not far, but sometimes off exploring, simply following his nose, time has flown, we are having a blast, he is keeping me on my toes.

Yes, we struggle with those sharp puppy teeth, but at 12 weeks, he is much more gentle, has much more control. His older siblings have been instrumental in teaching him to be careful and gentle with his teeth, they respond to his requests to play, multiple games of 'bitey-face', but should he get careless, a sharp rebuke, the game is over, no more play (for few minutes, anyway). He has picked up quickly on the sit, down, stand and touch cues, loves to try, even give a little sass, 'Hey don't be slow, what is next?' 'Patience, my friend, it is a good skill for you to have too!'
I think 'On your mat.' is his favorite skill, as soon as his mat hits the floor, he is on it before it stops moving, laying down, looking at me, most certainly earns lots of praise and some treats to boot. The 'hard' part is getting him to leave his spot - toss a treat aside, across the floor, he quickly finds it and bounces right back to his mat. So I invite him off, give a release cue, call him to me, get the sit, (reward it) then give the cue to 'go to your mat', so he can learn to go there when I ask him to.

Walks are evolving from everything is to regarded with caution, to 'Hey, this is interesting, give me a second, I want to check it out!' Took him on a short car ride down to the local park to meet some people, see the ducks, the big pond, was great fun, so much to see! And a short lesson, in watching your step, the water might be a little deeper than you think!

Off to the vet for his 12 week check, and vaccinations, a happy, healthy puppy for sure. A little bit unsure, but those treats were amazing, sitting on the scale was not such a big deal after all! 'Let me show you, I can do it again!' The vet, some of those things he does are a bit scary, but he has cookies too!

In true border collie fashion full of spunk and drive, he loves to chase and sometimes (50/50 return) with just about anything I will throw for him. So cute to see him hunker down, watch and anticipate which way the throw will go, then take off like a rocket after it.

Taking a break in the shade, or perhaps just waiting for the next toy to chase?

Grass Green Cat Felidae Carnivore

#29 ·
Reactions: cwag
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.