Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What breed is this BIG dog?

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Wendy427 
#1 ·
My friend adopted the sweetest 3-year-old female today from Franklin County Dog Shelter in Columbus, OH. Such a doll! Very gentle, loves to give you her paw. Easy to walk on leash.

Not much info about her except she was found as a stray, with no chip!

Given name was Marcy, but my friend decided to change it to Sophia, or Sophie for short.

She was listed as a large "Terrier Mix", 95 pounds, but I really don't think she's a terrier. I'm pretty sure I know what her breed is. Just curious what you all think? Hint: her tail is long :)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: NewfieMom
#9 ·
Good on your friend for rescuing :) Sophie looks like a real sweetie pie.

If she's curious enough to want to know the breed or mix of breeds, I can recommend these folks. We've done a couple of their tests on rescues with spot on results. They send a kit, you swab and mail it in. In a couple weeks you get the results. You get a history going back to the grandparents, with the percentages of each breed and descriptions of the breeds. 10 or 11 pages in the report, with pictures.

Wisdom Panel® 2.0 | Wisdom Panel

#10 ·
Lots of really good guesses! My first thought was Bearded Collie, but I just read that the adult weight is 40-60 pounds, and Sophie's 94 pounds! My friend thinks maybe a Bearded Collie, Great Pyrenees mix.

Thanks, Danny, for the Wisdom Panel suggestion. I suggested the same to my friend, so she's probably going to get the test.

#16 ·
Well, I don't have a clue. She isn't at all like any of the (many) breeds with which I am familiar! I'd like to become familiar with her, however!!! I agree with everyone who said she looks like a sweetie. Have you gotten to cuddle with her yet? When do we hear your opinion as to her breed (or was Bearded Collie what you meant)?

NewfieMom

#23 ·
Yes, my guess was Bearded Collie crossed with maybe Great Pyrenees.

Oh and my friend emailed me last nite saying she and Sophia cuddled on her living room floor and both fell asleep for an hour. And, Sophia already knows where she's going to sleep at night: right at the foot of Patricia's bed. She totally figured it out on her own.

In about 2-3 weeks we're going to schedule a play date with Maxi and Sophia. Can't wait ! I'll be sure to get pics!

#17 ·
I was curious, so I looked through all the pictures I could find of purebred Bearded Collies. How do you think this one compares to the fluffy little adoptee of Wendy's friend? Do you think that Sophie's face might have the fluffy look from being part Bearded Collie? (I know more Great Pyrenees dogs since I have a Giant Breed dog myself than I do Bearded Collies. I had no idea what they looked like when they weren't groomed for show!)

NewfieMom

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.