Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Pack of two

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  gold4me 
#1 ·
Tomorrow is our meet and greet with potential adoptee Tyson. Cant wait! After that we will have a doggie pack of two.
Olliver and I took advantage of the fabulous morning to have a "last" solo hike in the woods.
Happiness is being a dog.
Happiness is being with my dog.
Run Ollie!! Run!!
:)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What great photos of Oliver, particularly the last one!

I hope you have a good meet and greet with Tyson tomorrow! :crossfing

Reactions: olliversmom
#6 ·
Keeping fingers crossed for a great meeting with Tyson and your pictures of Oliver are fantastic!!

#11 ·
We have Tyson. He arrived at noon. It was a long afternoon. He is very very sweet. He is also a bit hyper, clingy and a bit anxious. Hoping the last items are due to the complete up upheaval of his life and not a general high strung personality. He has also never had enuf exercise so hoping that will help too.
Olliver has been a bit territorial and as he normally is an "in your face" player, it's been an afternoon of referrying. Tyson has never had dog play before so it's been uh a bit challenging.
On a brighter note; he really enjoys the yard and it is great to see him run around with freedom. The ball toss helps a lot to give Ollie another attention focus their than Tyson.
I put up x pen in living room to give Tyson breathing room. He's not crazy about it but we all need the reprieve. I also have one set up next to me in bedroom. The boys have both settled nicely in their spaces and have been out cold all night.
So work in progress.
As we did not have preliminary meet and greet previous w decided to access both dogs happiness level in a few days after they settle down. Might be Tyson would do better as only dog in house, especially given ollies boisterous personality. Or it may be great with lotsa training for Tyson.
Any additional advice above helpful :)

Attachments

#13 ·
Oliversmom

Oliversmom

Congratulations! Tyson is beautiful and I'm sure he and Ollie will arrange pecking order and become fast friends. I really respect Tine's opinion as she has fostered and I have not, but we've adopted three dogs in our life and have had another dog living with us and have always brought them right into your life and home. They did meet outside on the lawn first. Within 2 weeks things really settle down, but we've never had any problems, other than a little bit of showing teeth over a toy and they sort that out. Can't wait to hear how the first night went.

#12 ·
I foster a lot and really never let the dogs interact during the first few days at LEAST. That way my dogs have time to adjust to the idea of a new dog in the house. Separation is key. And it also helps the new dog adjust to a new environment and time with just me. It also takes about a month, a few weeks, not only days for a new adoptive addition to settle in. So give lots of attention, space, love, and time.

I've had many dogs returned within days because "they didn't get along with my dog" "child" "peed in the house when we were told they were house broken" any number of things... But in reality the first 2 weeks with a foster is crazy, the next 2 I begin seeing their personalities, and after that it's usually like they've found their spot and all is good in our lives.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#14 ·
Ollie and Tyson both passed out cold for 12 hours. Tyson in x pen and Ollie in his bed next to him.
I am trying to keep them separate as I can, as their interaction involves too much humping and overly aggressive play on Ollies part and a bit of dominance over lots of things on Tysons part, so all play needs to be monitored. But right now I have Ollie in office with me and Tyson in x pen in other room and he one is crying and the other barking. Sigh.
I give all you foster people huge huge credit.

#15 ·
I agree with all the has been said. We have added 3 adult dogs over the years and there is always a transition. The first time, our new doggie instigated a couple of fights to establish dominance (she was such a brat but a lovable brat). It scared the heck out of us as our "original" dog got along with and loved everyone. After that initial period, they were fine and played together and enjoyed being with each other for well over a decade.

After we lost our first dog, we adopted another sweet senior to keep the "brat" company and they were fine together from the get go. I figured "brat" dog was simply too old to care, and new dog was just too sweet to bully. After we lost the new dog a year later, we added a 6 year old "youngster" to the mix and the "brat" started up her antics and they got into a scuffle (14 year old vs. 6 year old). That scuffle actually resulted in the 6 year drawing blood on the 14 year old. I was so upset and second guessed the addition but I got some advice and the next time a scuffle started I nipped it in the bud and they were fine ever since. I'm so glad we saw it through and didn't give up on the 6 year old.

When I look back at the time after each addition, I can see how the dogs were really were so different than the personalities they are now. Those first few weeks really are so stressful on all involved and even if the transition seemed seamless, the dynamics really ended up being different once there was time to properly settle in.

I agree in taking it slowly (some dogs gel right away, others take time), but from the picture you posted, things look good. Enjoy!

#17 ·
I'd like to share the story of the one rescue I was involved with, if that's alright.

When I was a teenager, I found a Lhasa apso on a busy bridge in town here. I opened my car door and hollered at him as he was running panicked through the traffic. He saw me and came running- jumped into my car without a second thought. Some things are meant to be I guess. I brought him by the SPCA and the looked up his tattoo for me. We found his name (Patches) his age (8) and his parents last name. All other records had been lost by the vet clinic. We phoned everyone in the phone book with that last name, advertised him in the paper, on the radio, at the SPCA and city pound....but it seems no one was looking for poor, filthy, lice- ridden (a nice surprise) Patches.

He was the most jovial, playful, happy, playful little guy ever! When we washed him, we were surprised to find out he was a gorgeous light cream with a tan patch on his head and another on his rump- I honestly thought he was grey until then! He loved the attention and never showed any signs of nerves or aggression when we removed his horrible mats or trimmed his curling nails. Then one day maybe two weeks into his new life with us, he picked up something he wasn't supposed to have. My mother grabbed it from him - we were all surprised when he bit her! A week later, he grabbed a sock off my bedroom floor and I took it back and was bitten on my forearm. Without thinking, instead of backing away grabbed his scruff and gave him a little shake. I then took the sock and released him. That was the last problem of any kind this little guy ever had. He lived to be 14, and I took him on his last car ride just as I'd taken him on his first.

Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out where they 'fit' in the household, I guess. It's probably similar to adopting an older child who maybe hasn't had a great life up to that point. You don't really know what they've been through and they're bound to act out and not necessarily show you their 'real' selves for a while. Even when my boys stay with friends, they act a bit anxious and don't really settle down. These are friends they visit all the time, and my boys are dogs who haven't ever had any really bad experiences in life. You're doing a great thing- I bet in a couple months you'll wonder how you ever lived without him!

#19 ·
Yes. I have 4 fenced acres. I have been alternating dogs in and out. Neither of them will settle once inside tho, despite the extensive exercising. They are both too curious and both want to be with me. I have Ollie in office with me now, he looks ready to konk out hopefully. Now just need Tyson to settle in the other room.

Reactions: tine434
#22 ·
The first week with a new foster about drives me bonkers. It is really hard.... But they'll figure your routine once you get a good working one. I think it'll all work out

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom and advice.
I have had dogs and pairs of dogs my entire life, dogs ARE my life.
But never an adult come in as foster.

I am feeling a little bonkers right now.
All my mental prep and house prep and anticipation for Tysons arrival and I am feeling overwhelmed and like a dope.

Blah. Both dogs are sleeping finally. Maybe a trip outta here to post office will help.
Thanks again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.