Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums - View Single Post - New to Goldens
Thread: New to Goldens
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Jersey's Mom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1,689 Times in 563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeller View Post
Thanks for all of your advice....I figured we'd start shopping this weekend. I'll take Julie's list along with me. What size crate do you recommend?
Well, that can be a little tricky. When housebreaking a pup through crate training, you want them to have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down comfortably, but not much more. You don't want them to be able to potty in one part of the crate and lie in another. That doesn't teach anything. At the same time, nobody wants to buy 4 different crates as the dog grows. My suggestion would be to buy one that will be big enough for the dog when he is fully grown, but you'll need to be able to partition it off in some way while he is small and learning. Some crates come with divider panels and are ideal... but if you can't find them, or they are out of your price range, then get creative. I once used a plastic milk crate to block off the crate for my old roommate's dog. It got chewed on a little, but nothing major and it worked well enough to keep him from going in the crate.

Julie and Jersey

MACH Ambika's No Place Like Home CDX, JH, MX, MXB, MXJ, MJB, CCA, VCX, CGC/TDI (Jersey)
Oz The Great and Powerful CGC, TDI (Ozzie)
Lakota's Sailor Can't Hold His Licker (Banyan)
Visit us on Facebook:
The It Pack

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome