Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Hello!

976 views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  3 goldens 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a yellow lab owner... we always wanted a golden, but my husband's allergies led us to choose the closest "lower maintainance" version... our little man Jim is 6 months old and the light of our lives. We are going to adopt either a golden or another lab as soon as we get a house (in the coming months) depending on how much room there is... I am posting some pics of my favorite golden retriever and me, my best girl (my cousin's dog) Mya! She is the sweetest girl in the whole wide world...

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

See less See more
#8 ·
Welcome. That's an interesting comment you make about allergies. I am horribly allergic to dogs but am cursed with loving them. I've owned labs up until I most recently got my golden. To me there is no real difference in how much you would be allergic to either. From my experience I am allergic to every dog. However I do believe there is a common mis-conception that goldens shed more than labs. Of course each dog is different but I actually believe my labs shed more however it was often times harder to see with their short hair. No mistaken Daisy definitely sheds but it's often easier to find and clean up because it tends to furball in corners and is just generally easier to see due to it's length. Again each dog is different. I address my allergies with medication, brushing the dog at least every other day or so and I have "safe" zones ie no dogs allowed areas in my house which for us is mainly our bedroom.

#11 ·
Hello and welcome,
We would love to see pictures of your Jim. We love all dogs here no matter the breed. Your cousin's girl is beautiful and I can see why you love her. She looks like a love. I have alot of allergies and goldens dont bother me anymore than any other type of dog. Good luck and I hope you get one.

#12 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone, I see a few of you from the lab board, thanks for the tip to check out this one too Aqua! I did not mean to exclude my OWN beautiful boy :eek:: ..... I thought his pic was in my signature! I tried posting my Photobucket slideshow of him but couldn't quite get it to work... so I put in my favorite pic of the two of us. Maybe my sig will post NOW? Lets see...

#15 ·
Oh, and as for the allergies, I guess I did buy into the whole getting a shorter haired dog thing, maybe it was ignorant, but I guess I just applied the whole logic of "it's better to have short haired cats" (which we also have) to getting a dog... well, since our recent move my husband's allergies have improved enormously, proving my theory that he was more allergic to the mold where we lived than he was to the animals. SO... as I said, we may be rescuing a golden when we get our new house. It will either be that or another lab! They seem like basically the same kind of dog to me except for hair length... and I think goldens are just so beautiful! I wish I could swipe Mya, but my cousin loves her more than life and would have none of it, lol...

As for boating, that picture was taken at Riffe Lake in Washington where we camped last summer. We will be headed to Mayfield Lake this August with both Jim and Mya, if anyone lives close by you should come on down for a playdate in the water! :)

#21 ·
Hello and welcome from Texas. Your Jim is absolutely beautiful. I always think of labs and goldens as "kissing cousins" After all, they both end in "retriever." And the golden gal is a beauty.

Ugh, I know about allergies to mold--our 8 1/2 year old golden girl KayCee is allergic to mold and due to having had a lot of rain here lately, she developed an ear infection. Things just don't seem to dry out good before next rain. She is also allergic to fleas, bermuda grass--which is in our back yard--and live oak pollen--and we are surrounded by live oak trees. Honey our adopted golden mix..nothing gets to that girl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.