Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Order of going in the door

1K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Thalie 
#1 ·
My boyfriend and I noticed that there is always an order going into the house.
It's always me, Phoebe, Captain and if my boyfriend is here then he is last.
Captain definitely thinks he is the man of the house when my boyfriend isn't here, not in a mean way, just a protective way.
Captain nor Phoebe will go into the house without me going in first and even if they both go in at the same time Phoebe is always a shoulder ahead.
Anyways, I was just wondering if this meant something or if it's just a coincidence.
Thanks

#2 ·
When I open the door, they all rush out at once. They generally come back in a certain order as some like to roll in muck more than others. None of them has behavior issues in respect to the people they live with and the dogs they live with... I think that your dogs have learned the "exercise" and that is why they do it that way. I feed my dogs from slowest eater to fastest eater... and they still respect each other...

Reactions: fostermom
#8 ·
My dogs won't enter first even if I hold the door open for them. I have a doggy door on the screen door to the back and they will wait until I get through the door and use the doggy door coming in or going out. This may have something to do with the fact that they have been trained not to go up or down the stairs first. I worry about them tripping me or my grandchildren on the stairs so they have all been taught to wait.

#13 ·
My dogs won't enter first even if I hold the door open for them. I have a doggy door on the screen door to the back and they will wait until I get through the door and use the doggy door coming in or going out. This may have something to do with the fact that they have been trained not to go up or down the stairs first. I worry about them tripping me or my grandchildren on the stairs so they have all been taught to wait.

I worry about this all the time!:uhoh: Good idea to train them to wait! I will work on that.....

#11 ·
Mine don't barge the doors or stairs. There is just a general rule of how we go threw doors. Everyone in the house knows the routine and it is all very calm. Quite silly actually.
I have also noticed that if we have a third dog over for a play date everything is thrown out the window. Phoebe and Captain seem to wrestle harder tehran usual for dominance of alpha. The third dog just messes up the order of everything.
The 2 farm dogs where my horse is kept do this also. They are fine until another dog comes then they fight each other pretty hard for some reason. So no other dogs are allowed to come by. Which is understandable.

#12 ·
Mine go before me. Every once in a great while I will use the wait command and go first, but it's just easier to let them go out first. That way I don't get stepped on! Their order of going out and coming in varies in all ways except Jasmine (alpha) is always last. I think she's smart like me and doesn't want to get stepped on, personally.

#14 ·
At the front door, Casper has to sit until I release him with "OK" or "let's go." (Hmm, I should probably be more consistent.) At the back door, there is no particular order. I read once it doesn't matter whether the person or the dog goes first, but that the human gets to decide. Casper's latest thing is to stand in the doorway to the backyard. Half in and half out. This is a new twist on the "let me in - out - in -out" dog thing.

An interesting thing we've noticed is that Casper often breaks the stay at the door by a breath when I'm on the other end of the leash. Clearly I have a "tell" that comes right before the verbal command, but I have no idea what it is. I think it actually is breathing in, but maybe it's moving my shoulder forward. Still working on that.

Casper is very careful around me the stairs out the front door. Since day 1, I have made him stop at each stair and sit. I had shoulder surgery a few weeks before I brought him home. The thought of getting dragged down those concrete steps, yikes!

#16 ·
At the front door, Casper has to sit until I release him with "OK" or "let's go." (Hmm, I should probably be more consistent.) At the back door, there is no particular order. I read once it doesn't matter whether the person or the dog goes first, but that the human gets to decide. Casper's latest thing is to stand in the doorway to the backyard. Half in and half out. This is a new twist on the "let me in - out - in -out" dog thing.

An interesting thing we've noticed is that Casper often breaks the stay at the door by a breath when I'm on the other end of the leash. Clearly I have a "tell" that comes right before the verbal command, but I have no idea what it is. I think it actually is breathing in, but maybe it's moving my shoulder forward. Still working on that.

Casper is very careful around me the stairs out the front door. Since day 1, I have made him stop at each stair and sit. I had shoulder surgery a few weeks before I brought him home. The thought of getting dragged down those concrete steps, yikes!
This is funny. It happens to me also. Funny how our dogs can read us. I put my dogs in a sit/stay when I am feeding them. After I put the food down they wait until I give the O.K. I have one that breaks just as I am saying it and when one breaks they all do. She watches me so closely that sometimes I think she knows what I am going to say before I do.

#19 ·
We've trained both dogs to sit and wait until we tell them to go through in either direction. They go after the humans, for safety. We've also taught them to sit on the front porch after we exit so the can be locked without them tugging on our arms.

#20 ·
We've trained both dogs to sit and wait until we tell them to go through in either direction. They go after the humans, for safety. We've also taught them to sit on the front porch after we exit so the can be locked without them tugging on our arms.
Ditto! I taught this to Wyatt from day one with the leash dropped. He waits patiently until I turn and pick up the leash, or if no leash I say ok. I had a dog at one time that used to push his way in and out in front of people which I hated. Not this time:D

#21 ·
My dad had labs growing up in England, he would always train them to do silly things. His one girl, Suzy, he trained her to sit before going onto the street, he told me that she was chasing a squirrel one day and skidded to a halt before entering the street and she was dancing on her feet waiting for my dad to say ok.
He would also hide her food!! He would get 3 buckets and put her food under one of them and tell her to find it, eventually she just charged them with her nose until she found the one with food. Then he hid it in a tree!! She was not pleased about that!! Captain hates even sitting for his food, he thinks it should be served on a silver platter, not a silver bowl!
I loved hearing about my dads labs and my mom's goldens, they were always so silly. Anyways, we love the sitting before going outside and sitting before crossing a road, going inside is the only time we do the "order".

#28 · (Edited)
My friend taught her German short haired pointer to not cross the road with just a tennis ball. He was so obsessed that they took a tennis ball, brought him to the curb. Put the ball on the road, if he went to get it he didn't get the ball, if he sat and waited he got the ball. We would roller blade, bike ride, and play on the street and he would run beside us on the side walk. Alexa would always have to go up on the side walk before actually crossing the street as he needed the "heel" command. Amazing dog.

#29 ·
To just use the backyard, it is usually Flem first out then Spip first back in whether one of us steps out with them or not.

For walks, it is DH and Flem then Spip and me through the kitchen door. We exit the backyard then they stop (do not have to sit, just calmly stand) while I close the gate. Same order at the end of the walk.

We also have them sit before crossing and I think that maybe perhaps they got the notion that they are not supposed to be on the street because when we have to walk on it (because of construction or people who parked like idiots) they tend to pull us back toward the grassy part and the walkway. When they are stopped and sitting at a crosswalk and a car drives by, we always make them wait until it is well away before we cross. Spip the Lab has a pretty strong automatic sit on walks (we stop for anything, she sits) while Flem, being Flem, is a work is slow progress and needs a verbal reminder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.