Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Golden Retriever with Baby

5K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  Ivyacres 
#1 ·
My wife and I adopted a 6mo golden retriever pup about a month before we had our first <human> child. Brilliant, I realize. :)

That said, we've made a concerted effort to ensure that the baby and pup bond, and we've made a decent effort to document the bonding process on video. I've uploaded several videoclips to YouTube, and I've pasted a few links below. Enjoy. :)

Baby's first meeting with the pup (baby 1 day old):

Claire's First Meeting with Max - YouTube

Baby at 1 month, pup at 8 months:

Golden Retriever Babysitting Newborn - YouTube

Baby at 8 months, pup at 14 months:

Baby Bonds with Her Golden Retriever - YouTube

Baby at 11 months, pup at 18 months

Baby's Tummy Time w/ Golden Retriever - YouTube

See less See more
#11 ·
So precious, your daughter Claire is beautiful.

Things work out the way they're suppose to, just think how much you would have missed out on if you hadn't adopted Max. You wouldn't be seeing how great he is with your daughter. There's nothing better IMO than Goldens and children, there's a very special love and bond between the two.

#16 ·
He is so sweet and so gentle with Claire. It's amazing how nurturing he is at such a young age. Beautiful

#18 ·
Your boy has a stellar temperment, that was really perfection between them. Whatever training you've done to make him comfortable with her has been a complete success. Actually, I would love for you to share how you worked with him.

Reactions: toliva
#19 ·
Sorry for the 6 1/2-year delay in my response. I didn't receive an email notice that someone had responded to my initial post, so I just saw it. To answer your question, we always walked the dog and let him burn a bunch of energy before we'd put our baby with him. We knew that he'd never intentionally hurt her, but we wanted to help mitigate the risk of an accidentally-harmful encounter, such as smacking our daughter with his frantically wagging tail. :)

As an update for anyone who sees this: Sadly, we just lost this wonderful dog to lymphoma last week. Our daughter is now 7 1/2, and she's only known 3 days of her life without that dog. We are indeed grateful for the images that we created back then, and as we're coping with our loss, we're revisiting those images quite a bit.

#21 ·
So sweet and adorable. Max and Claire are both very lucky. Love how incredibly gentle he is with her. Almost makes me wish I was young enough to have another baby. Almost!

So sorry to hear about your loss. I hadn't read through before posting. I am grateful that they had those years together and the memories will last a lifetime.

#22 ·
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Max. My thoughts are with your family, especially your daughter.

#23 · (Edited)
What a wonderful bond they will have, both growing and learning together. The videos are priceless and thank you for sharing your two precious babes.

I have my first ever golden who's now five months old, right from the moment she saw my grandsons (3years and 18months old) she was just so gentle with them, even as an eight weeks old pup. I am amazed and delighted with how much she follows the three year old around, stays with him when he's in the garden and goes in his hut with him. She never cries with excitement but she always does when she sees them.

Just wonderful dogs aren't they and your little girl will have a true best friend to grow up with. Bless their little hearts.

Oh I'm so sorry to read that you've lost Max and so very sad for your little girl. I saw those precious videos and just posted straight away without reading through. I'm so sad for the pain you are going through as a family and as a parent I know the devastation you feel for your daughter's loss.
Max certainly was a wonderful boy and I hope one day you consider another of this beautiful breed to help your little girl heal.
God bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.