Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How Did You Pick Registered Name?

7K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  cubbysan 
#1 ·
For those of you who have registered your dog with the AKC or other organization, what name did you choose and how did you come up with it?

We hadn't gotten around to naming Augie because we couldn't think of a good name. My husband thought maybe "Augustus" should be part of it, but that was pretty limiting. So we made some lame attempts and basically did nothing :D The other day I said, "You know, you like Bruce Springsteen... let me pull up an online list of his songs and we'll pick one." So that's how Augie got to be:

Chien D'Or's Leap of Faith :)

Share your stories!

#28 ·
Thanks! I love coming up with call and registered names... especially when I can find clever ways to tie them together.

Oh - another fave on my list:

Moving Violation - "Ticket" or "Rush"

-S

#29 ·
The kids of the kennel owner had named Miss Nikki "Nikki". Her Mom's name is Missa, so I called her Miss Nikki. Her registered name is Ruger's Rainbow Promise named after my first golden Reggie's Golden Gun Ruger. I got her after he went to the Rainbow Bridge.

#30 ·
We are naming our puppy Clover because my husband is Irish. Our last name is Clancy. I kind of want to come up with a Kennel name in case we do breed her after her clearances are done. We live in NC, hubby loves the tarheels, I watch Guiding Light and work for Robert Newman who plays Josh. We love the beach and we love the show 24. Those are just some ideas on things the name could come from. Any ideas, anyone?

Barb

#32 ·
I guess that I've always found it rather humorous how pretentious-sounding registered names can become (especially if you have no intention of showing or breeding your fur baby). Thus, I've taken a couple of swipes at "the system" over the years.

My first AKC dog was a white german shepherd named, "Sparky's Purouvpah Rowdy." Long story short: Rowdy was a family name for our dogs (3 human generations of 'em); Sparky was a nickname at work; and "Purouvpah" was a funky spelling for pure-of-paw.

Lacey, on the other hand, has a simple name. After deciding on the name Lacey, it became Lacey Bloomers. I wanted to call her Lacey Underpants but my wife PG'd the PG-13 name. Of course, she's just Lacey around the house.

Gee, am I alone in finding humor in all this naming stuff? ;)

#33 ·
Lacey Underpants! Love it!

I thought of another combo I really like the other day...

Double Dog Dare Ya -- "Dare"

#34 ·
Hello

I know where i'm coming to when I go to give my pup a registered name. As soon as I get her this will be one of the first stops a make.
I love all of the names you all have came up with.
Even though I haven't found my pup yet. I do have call names I really like
McKenzie (my fav)
Maddison
Hannah
So you all be thinking of some ideas for when I come ta askin lol..pleaseeeee

#35 ·
Earl

Sir earl Simba got his name (Simba) from the daughter of the people I got him from and the Earl came from me being a Texas ******* and I just wanted to be able to say ---GET IN THE TRUCK EARL. The Sir just put a regal sound to it.

Good luck!

#37 ·
Our litters all have themes, and the registered name is given based on the theme, with call names having something to do with the reg name.
We really enjoy puns and play on words, so do a lot with that. I don't like pretentious names, either, so we tend to keep things humorous.

#38 ·
One of my favorite parts about being a spectator at a dog show, is buying the show catalog and reading all the registered names. I especially like people's ads they take out when specialling. I like seeing the registered name then seeing the twist in the call name. Some people are just so creative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.