Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Mooch

870 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SophieP 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 7 month old puppy being a mooch. She is really bad with stealing food from the baby (who gives it to her willingly). Any tips on getting her to stop that? I have gotten her to stop jumping on the counter, table or highchair but when the baby holds food out to her what can I do to get her to not take it?

#2 ·
That's tough! Probably why raising a pup and children together is so difficult. I know this isn't what you want but many teach their dogs not to go within a certain perimeter of the baby, like a buffer-zone. Kind of like when you're eating dinner, you probably have a certain space that the pup is not allowed to come in. Some families do this with their babies. Dog sees baby and automatically stays a certain distance away. This takes time to learn but might help.

I look forward to seeing what others recommend.

#4 ·
I just boot the dogs out during meals, otherwise we'd have fat dogs and a huge bill - they all like to share and mooch!

Lana

#5 ·
Yes, we have 3 kids and have taught Abby to "go to her place" when it's time for dinner so she doesn't mooch and the girls are old enough (5, 5, & 10) to know not to talk to or look at her when we're at the table. We also taught her the "Leave it" command and practice it often with really yummy temptations so she knows what it means. I agree with Jenn - baby gate your baby into a "safe" area for snack time for example and keep the dog out until she understands the "leave it" command.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.