Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Advantages of Neutering

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  maiapup 
#1 ·
Fill me in...
What are the advantages of neutering other than the obvious preventing accidental litters? Our Sam has not been neutered yet and I'm wanting more information about it. We live in the country and Sam is never around any other dogs at all (although a friend for him might be something we want to look for in the future) so the worry of him impregnating a female is not there, but if there are other benefits it would likely be something we want to go ahead and do.

If there are great advantages, what age is it recommended that that procedure be done? He was born October 26, 2007. I know that pups a lot younger than him have the procedure, but didn't know if any age was more ideal than others.

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
I dont think you should do it so young...
Opinions will very, but I heard with males it can cause them to not "fully develop"?

I think they told me 18 months was around the age to do it? Let me try to find another thread for you... Ive been where you are LOL

#3 ·
Neutering will greatly decrease the chances of a dog having testicular cancers and prostate problems, and will help to keep them focused on training, as well as avoid wandering and possible aggressive behaviors towards other males.
That said, I believe that it is best to wait until a dog is between 18-24 months to neuter, in order for them to reach maturity and avoid "feminization" as well as long bone issues. I am a proponent of any dog not being used for breeding, male or female, being neutered, and even as a breeder, alter my dogs after whatever breeding "career" they might have.

#8 ·
I agree with Pointgold. My personal experience with my past labs and one chesapeake is that my intact boys would take off on the prowl every chance they would get. My two air bags tended to stick around much better. Maybe a coincidence but the hope of "romance" can be a pretty strong temptation I hear;)

#10 ·
If I posted this before in response to the NAIA article on this forum, I apologize. : )

Many of the articles/info cited in the NAIA article on early neutering/spaying were not from controlled studies, but in some cases, surveys and retrospective studies with data from veterinarian, dog clubs, etc.

While not necessarily bad, it can skew the data (actually as can any study depending on the source of funding for the study). For example the study on osteosarcoma in Rottweilers came from a survey of Rottweiler owners/club members. Osteo is already common in Rotts so it's going to be overreported couple that with most pet Rottweilers being neutered, you can see why the report might indicate that neutered Rottweilers have more osteo.

In addition, I think that some intact animals that die never have a necropsy to find out why they died, it might be hemangio but since it was never determined, these animals would not be included in any sort of survey/study.

Our Golden club had one of the oncologists from Ohio State speak to our club on canine cancer. She cautions us to be careful regarding the data reported from surveys and retrospective studies.

I am all about altering animals that are not going to be bred, that said, I do think if there are no behavior issues present or beginning and you can safely prevent your dogs from breeding, that you can wait to let them mature. I don't breed and I have all girls (love them girls!) but I do wait to have them spayed until after the first heat (and two of mine didn't go into heat until 18 months of age). We do not have any intact males in my neighborhood and typically do not have stray dogs so there is little chance of them being bred, we have great temperaments in my house so no being 'bitchy' whether in heat or not.

Just as there are people citing articles on not altering early, there are articles supporting pediatric altering!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.