Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born in June 2016

19K views 211 replies 17 participants last post by  Hootie821 
#1 ·
I don't see a thread for this month yet, so if you're expecting to pick up a puppy soon, this is the place to share some photos/stories. We get to visit these pups in a few days and take home a girl at the end of July!! I'm so thankful for all the help from members here in guiding me through a process of finding a breeder. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with our visit.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Our little cherub was born 6/25, along with 10 other littermates, coming home mid August! We visited pups at 8 days old. And guess who forgot to take pics. I was too excited. I'll have to ask the breeder if she has any pics she can email me. She's also a vet running her own clinic so she's super busy, not sure how many pics she's taking. They were adorable little blond babies. We didn't hold them yet, too little. We'll go back to visit again in a week or 2 to help socialize. We live about 15 minutes away so it's very convenient to visit. We have 2 little boys, ages 7 and 3, so it's quite easy that way with them. No long hauls to visit the pups. I think we may get the pup at about 7 weeks old.
In the meantime I'm reading like crazy, about the best way to introduce the pup to our home and get started right away with training for potty and bite inhibition. I have no idea if pup will be very bitey or calmer. No way to know that til she comes home. It's been a long time since I had a puppy. I'm reading Ian Dunbar right now, and will read Sophia Yin and the Monks of New Skete books. What I'm looking for is ideas -- for good toilet training, bite inhibition, and how not to totally screw up a puppy's behavior because I'm a novice!:grin2:

Reactions: smp
#3 ·
Good luck with your visit smp! It'll be great, no worries, just enjoy those little angels. Post more pics if you can! I'll post pics next time we visit. That is an adorable pic, blond little babies! How old are they here? Few weeks? How many in the litter?

#8 ·
First visit today!!

Our whole family packed up and made the drive today to meet the pups. The kids didn't know where we were going, and were over the moon excited when we pulled up. Surprisingly, it was a tiny bittersweet being around goldens really for the first time since we lost ours almost 9 months ago now, but it was great. The 11! pups are 6 weeks old now and we will take one home at 8 weeks. We have an idea who we like, but the breeder will choose for us to make sure its a good match. We're fine with that, they were all so sweet, and actually seemed to like cuddling already. Can't wait to see some photos of everyone else's June pups.

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm watching The Monks of New Skete video, reading their puppy book, and Ian Dunbar's book, and waiting for a couple of other books, also reading thru the socialization checklists that is a sticky on the puppy threads here, and I'm totally overwhelmed! Anyone else overwhelmed? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to get the pup to safely meet 3 strangers a day to get to 100 in a month, and get in all these experiences. The strangers all have to be met by the time the pup is 3 months old, during that particular stage of development. I'm not sure about the experiences checklist though.... is there a time limit on when those experiences need to be had? I'm looking to do some specialized training with our pup, to be a therapy dog or whatever interests and abilities her and I have, so I need to get her socialized really well. I'll have to take her to stores every day, and carry her around so she's safe from disease... we don't know a lot of people who are available for a puppy party.
Also, what might my instructions be to a stranger (and family/friends) for properly greeting her? People, including most of the people we know, will think we're nuts and going overboard, but it matters and is important how the pup is socialized.

#17 ·
I'm watching The Monks of New Skete video, reading their puppy book, and Ian Dunbar's book, and waiting for a couple of other books, also reading thru the socialization checklists that is a sticky on the puppy threads here, and I'm totally overwhelmed! Anyone else overwhelmed? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to get the pup to safely meet 3 strangers a day to get to 100 in a month, and get in all these experiences. The strangers all have to be met by the time the pup is 3 months old, during that particular stage of development. I'm not sure about the experiences checklist though.... is there a time limit on when those experiences need to be had? I'm looking to do some specialized training with our pup, to be a therapy dog or whatever interests and abilities her and I have, so I need to get her socialized really well. I'll have to take her to stores every day, and carry her around so she's safe from disease... we don't know a lot of people who are available for a puppy party.

Also, what might my instructions be to a stranger (and family/friends) for properly greeting her? People, including most of the people we know, will think we're nuts and going overboard, but it matters and is important how the pup is socialized.

Hi Karrielou- just realized no one has answered your questions. With our first golden, we didn't do any specific socialization checklist. Just went to a puppy class at PetSmart, and we had a small son in the house. She loved every person she ever met her entire life, so don't feel too overwhelmed by the "3 new people per day" quota. I want to have this pup eventually be certified as a pet therapist so she can hang with me in my medical job, so I will make a point of going to the office and the hospital when she is young.

As for training videos, I would highly recommend two on YouTube - kikopup and Donna Hill. They are both good examples of positive/reward based training. I can't wait to get started with some of the games.

Has anyone scheduled the first vet visit yet? I feel like I know so much more now, I'm going to be the annoying patient with a million questions. Is an all-meat diet ok? Do I need to give the breeder recommended vitamins? Timing of spaying? Ugh...the Internet is a blessing and a curse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Hi everyone! Luna was born on June 13th. We went to meet her last weekend (although we still don't know which one of the three girls she is...) and she will join our family on July 31st!

Anybody here from NY, Long Island?

Thank you!

Attachments

#13 ·
aleny- Great photos! It will be fun to see pics of these pups as they grow up together. We're still working on a name here. Pickup is Jul 30th. Just found out the birthday was actually June 13th, so she'll be just over 7 weeks when she comes home. We're just west of Philadelphia.

#14 ·
Anyone else counting the days until gotcha day? Here's a photo of my little guy holding this sweet girl that just ran right up to him, climbed in his lap, and promptly fell asleep. We both fell in love pretty quick, but still want the breeder to make the best choice for our family.

Attachments

#20 ·
Have you all picked out names yet? We're feeling a little stuck on several that we like but haven't been able to decide yet. The leading choices are Abbey, Winnie and Sadie. Maybe we should wait until we get her home and wait for some inspiration? The litter is the "Wish" litter, so we have to come up with the proper name as well. First shipment of dog food arrived today... it's starting to feel pretty real. Equal parts excited and "are we really doing this puppy thing again what the heck are we thinking!!"

#24 ·
Thank you smp! I have lotsa questions too. The breeder is also a vet and we discussed dog food. She feeds her dogs Nutro. They need other nutrient sources, not just nutrients from meats. She told me corn is actually a really good source of nutrients, good for energy (carbs). I've got a list of like 10 questions for her. We go on Thurs to visit the pups. They'll be about 4 weeks old. I'll post pics this time. I honestly feel like a crazy person getting a puppy. Because I want to do it right, socialization and training. Will be challenging with 2 young boys!

#26 ·
I have two boys about the same age! Fun. We fed our last golden Nutro also- glad to hear a vet does the same. This breeder does Taste of the Wild and she strongly recommended we keep doing that at least for a few months. I've been conflicted about the "no grain" movement. Gotta discuss that with our vet too. Please share the answers you get from your breeder/vet. Ok gotta get to bed. Just 4 more sleeps!!

#28 ·
Reason for the name LUNA. I am Italian and growing up I always listened to a song named Luna and to Dire Straits' Romeo and Juliet. When we had our first daughter, we named her Juliet. When our second daughter came along, my wife thought that the name Luna was a little too weird for a girl, so now we are naming our Golden puppy Luna!

4 days to go!!!!!

#29 ·
Smp, I absolutely will share my Q&A with the breeder. She's very respected, comes highly recommended on this board. Kamaglo, Maureen Shaughnessy. I do trust her completely. I'll ask again specifically about grains in dog food. The corn and grain free craze for dogs is all marketing, and brilliant marketing at that. Of course, who's buying dog food? People. Market to the people and our current nutrtion/diet trends are all about grain-free, so it bleeds over to our pet food too. I just wish the marketing was geared to actual science and good information about dogs' nutritional needs.
How super exciting you and aleny are so close to gotcha day!

Skeller, we may also be picking pup up on aug 13 or 14. Fun to have you all to share this with, with our pups being so close in age. Great idea for these common age boards, whomever thought this up.

#32 ·
Smp, I absolutely will share my Q&A with the breeder. She's very respected, comes highly recommended on this board. Kamaglo, Maureen Shaughnessy. I do trust her completely. I'll ask again specifically about grains in dog food. The corn and grain free craze for dogs is all marketing, and brilliant marketing at that. Of course, who's buying dog food? People. Market to the people and our current nutrtion/diet trends are all about grain-free, so it bleeds over to our pet food too. I just wish the marketing was geared to actual science and good information about dogs' nutritional needs.

Totally agree! The other interesting debate is timing of spaying. Glad you found such a great breeder.

#34 ·
We pick up our baby on Sunday. We can hardly wait. We have a 4 year old Golden named Honeysuckle ( Honey), she is going to love and adore our new girl! Honey is the sweetest and most gentle living creature in the world.

We are going to name our new girl Mia ( in honor of vets that are Missing In Action)

Her crate came in the mail yesterday....just waiting on the food information from the breeder.

I don't know how we are going to get through the next three days with all this excitement.

Does anyone have the link to the socialization check list? We didn't do this with Honey and she is a wonderful tempered dog. She greets strangers and other dogs so well. We are proud but her training was so effortless. We actually walked her in this old historic graveyard. State workers tend to walk it on their lunch breaks but we never saw a dog there. We did a lot of off leash training, it was fenced, private, and quiet. We do have a lot of friends, neighbors, nieces and nephews that will help us socialize but I like the list idea.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.