Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born in October 2015

61K views 1K replies 24 participants last post by  IrisBramble 
#1 ·
Howdy to all those expecting their little goldens home soon! Thought we should get this October thread started as we await their arrivals. :wavey:

#5 ·
Duke is precious! Those eyes! Duke was on my shortlist of names... but as a Virginia grad with Duke being our basketball arch nemesis, I couldn't do it :)

The breeder has taken to calling him Smurf, which came out of Sir Murph... I can't deny that it's pretty cute. I think the nicknames our dogs get are just as important as the actual name!

#17 ·
I love Duke's curly locks!!!!! What a sweetie. Love all these October pups!

Murph was born 10/7 but didn't come home until yesterday... had him boarded with the breeder for a little bit while I had extended holiday travel before bringing him home for good so we could get right into our routine. He's from Laurelridge and his dad is a Delmarva boy so I know we have some half siblings on the board! He's such a joy!

#22 ·
I would say right now the only one trained is me! I can pretty much tell when it's time for her to go out :). Although, something interesting happened this morning. When she goes outside I say over and over to her "go tinkle" so she'll maybe go on demand one day. This morning she was sleeping on the carpet and woke up without me noticing. When I realized she was up I ran to the carpet and said out loud as I was checking the carpet "did you go tinkle"? As I looked over to her she squatted and WENT TINKLE! Probably a coincidence ???

#23 · (Edited)
Hi Iris... we're only in the first couple days, but here's my potty training journal ;)

I feel like Murph "gets it" and that it's just up to me to enable success at this point by figuring out his schedule and make sure he's getting out on time. If he has an accident, I feel like it's on me for not getting him out quick enough.

He slept right through the night the first night, 7 hours in the crate no accidents. I thought I had a miracle pup! Then he peed 2x on two different rugs after having gone out and done his business shortly before :p All rugs are put away in the house now, no more enticing furry things to pee on!

He really seems to know the potty word pretty well. If I'm encouraging him to "go potty!" as we're getting ready to go out, for the most part, he will run right to his potty spot and start the circling until he gets down to business. Immediate click and treat followed by loads of "good potty!" and he seems well pleased with himself for getting all that attention :) If it's not dark out, I'll let him off the leash for a few minutes in the fenced yard to romp around, then get him in. He is reluctant to come in because YAY OUTSIDE, so now I'm trying to give a treat for coming back in and that is helping a bit.

He woke me 2x around 5 and 7am by whining the next night, and he's pretty good otherwise in the crate after settling in, so I figured he must need to go. Carried him down (still can't go down more than 1 step by himself) and right out back, no playing no nonsense, do your business! Carried him right back up and back into the crate by my bed after and he went straight back to sleep. Thank god! Puppies need about 16 hours a day of sleep I read... I feel I need that much right now too!

I do wonder if he just does a little courtesy pee sometimes to get outside for a minute and get a tasty treat.... LOL

#24 ·
thats my issue we take her out every hour sometimes she will go sometimes i will bring her in put her down go to throw off my shoes and bam in 5 seconds she just goes and just squats i dont even get to see her prompts or anything.

Pooping is ok only 2 accidents in 6 days she goes 3 times a day outside after every meal. its the peeing i have to work on.

i am however getting her a yard to go around her crate and toys its big enough that she will have enough room to play and relax and i will have a plastic yard for her to go if she has too(shouldn't have too when were home) but she wont have the run of the whole room like now, and will be in it when we are at work or not in the room (and i have my in- laws who will come 1 time while am i at work) but i work up the street from my house and will be able to come home for an hour at lunch(if i teach if im doing something else like being a aide i cant)and im done work at 3

our work schedule is weird

i sub at my kids school i try not to work every day my hours are 8-3 with lunch from 1120-1210

my husband is photographer but we have busy times and down times right now its down time until march till then he subs as well about 2-3 days week but once he leaves he doesnt get to come home for lunch and usually doesnt get home till after 4

when the photography picks up he gets up at all times 90% of the time hes way gone by the time we get up and sometimes home before us it depends on how far he goes.

#25 ·
Mine is like the little boy that cries wolf! I was going to use the bells. It worked so well with my other dog, but he understood "outside" quickly, so took bells off door. He will whine-scratch and or bark, come back in and 5 minutes later, he'll be like, "oh forgot to poo" outside we go again. Or 5 minutes later, "oh forgot to chew on this leaf on the sidewalk" and then there is the random, not saying anything and pee at the door. Don't want to discourage him, so we always go back out, me with a sigh and him with an "Oh boy"!!!

I can't complain-he's been a dream so far

#27 · (Edited)
Got her play yard today I tried a little today getting her used to it she whined at 1st but I keep the door open and now she likes going in there and sleeping :) she had no poop accidents but quite a few pee accidents but that's OK were all trying.

Signed her up for her puppy level 1 classes today and the trainer will call me this week to set up a class schedule she wants at least 2 other dogs so she can socialize but most likely Sundays at 11am for 6 weeks starting in the next 2 weeks, then she goes right into puppy level 2.

Her 1st vet appt is tomorrow at 2pm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.