Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born In September 2013

10K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  John_ 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start a new thread for those of us looking forward to bringing home a new puppy in November. We are getting a puppy from Futuraranch goldens. The litter CH Futura Masters Duck Duck Goose (Tag) and Masters Futura Can't S'Top Me Now (Marilyn). The pups were born 9/28/13 - 9/29/13. There are 9 girls and 1 boy!

We live about 4 1/2 hours away, so we have not been able to visit yet. Hoping to get in one visit in before we pick up the puppy. Judy is off to Nationals this week. Anyone else getting a puppy from this litter?

I'm getting excited and looking into all kinds of things from food, to training etc. Our family has had three goldens at once! We have lost all of them in the past year. I just lost my Raz a few weeks ago. I had started looking in August, thinking she'd still be with me when we got the pup. But I know she's in a better place now with her family and friends. The looking forward to and planning has helped me. We've not been dogless in almost 15 years. These past few weeks feel strange not looking after Raz, or having my "helper" pick up food I've dropped, or sharing treats like apples.

I'm excited to have a new family member coming into our lives!

See less See more
Reactions: Shellbug
#2 ·
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm sorry to hear of Raz's passing. It leaves such a big hole in your life, doesn't it : (
On the flip side, how exciting to be counting down to your new arrival. I, too, am expecting my September baby (litter born 1st September, over here in Australia) and we pick him up next Wednesday and I'm so excited, I just can't decide on a name . . argh!!!
I look forward to hearing about your newest family member when they arrive.
Ess : )

#3 ·
You'll have to post pics! The litter is 9 girls and 1 boy. Chances are good on a girl, but we've got a list of names going, no final runners up yet. I'm reading the my book again from the Monks of New Skete, The Art of Raising a Puppy. Lot's of good info. it's been so long since I read, and soooo long since we've had a puppy. The good news is I'm home all day, so (most of the time) I'll be able to get training down and stick with a good schedule!

Reactions: Shellbug
#5 ·
Congrats! I'm trying to figure out when we are going to visit. The pups are 5 weeks old this weekend. We're a ways a way, hopefully next weekend, and go back in 2 weeks to pick up.... It's a 5 hour trip I believe for our family.

#6 ·
We also have a September pup who was 8 weeks on Tues. After much deliberation regarding her name (theres a post on here about American names - thanks for everyones help!) we called her Dakota BUT after having her home for a day we realised that name just didnt fit her (or roll off the tongue easily enough) so she is now Shelby.

She has settled in so well, sleeps from around 10.30pm - 5.30ish in her crate with no mess at all in the morning. :crossfing hope it stays this way.
She has the odd accident inside but thats my fault for not watching!

Her little personality is starting to come through now (although im sure this will change as she gets older) but she appears to be laid back but with a playful side, loves cuddles and she is also independent, she takes herself off to her crate for her own time quite oftern, whenever she is fed up of us!!

Only problem we are having is when we wake up at 5.30 and take her out the crate, her bladder is obviously so full and she gets excited so theres always a dribble or small puddle as I pick up her up to go outside! The first morning she just wee'd all over me!! Now I try to take a towel with me and tuck it under her bottom although im hoping as she gets older she will control it a little more.

We are completely in love with her!!

P.S I tried to upload a photo but its not working for some reason :(

#7 ·
Hi all, sorry for the delay but I've been busy playing with my beautiful boy, who was nine weeks old yesterday! I very much look forward to seeing all of your September babies : ) I tried to attach a few photos from my phone but to no avail, so I will do it from my computer tmrw. However, as a sneak peak, my pup is the one at the front of the photo on my footer with his head on his sibling's head - he is a cheeky wee thing!!

#8 ·
Congrats Gill03 and ESS!

Thanks Gill03 for the heads up on the towel trick. You are lucky that your pup is sleeping through the night!

Aww ESS very cute photo!

We are visiting the litter this next weekend. They will be 6 weeks old, so we won't know yet who we are getting. I'm so looking forward to it! It's 5 hour drive so this will be the only visit before we pick up the puppy.

Reactions: Ess
#9 · (Edited)
Wow, a five hour drive is a l-o-n-g way . . but it will be SO worth it to meet your pup. How exciting, I can't wait to hear how you get on, Kim : ) and to hear how things are going with your new arrival from Friday, Beckham : )

My dear pup decided that 1am and 3am were both great times to have a play and jump out of his pen onto our bed last night, so I'm feeling a wee bit tired this morning!!! He has been going out once during the night since we picked him up last week, but last night was apparently party-time in our house as far as he was concerned haha!! You can't be angry with such adorably cute 'butter wouldn't melt' faces, though can you!! I have to say that he is a lot more cheeky than my previous girl!!!

Gill03, it sounds like Shelby has settled in really well, that's great : ) Look forward to the photos!!

#10 ·
Were doing well. The first night was quite the struggle. Lots of whining and crying and barking. I wore the same clothes Saturday Am through Monday AM... And yes, I slept in them! It was just so much easier than getting dressed or going out in PJs in the middle of the night.

We had an escapee last night. I had some work to do on the computer so I out him in the crate with my husband to sleep (it was around 11). Well, I must not have latched the door properly in the dark and when I came back upstairs an hour later there was a cute furry face waiting for me at the top of the stairs!! I freaked out! Happily no accidents, no chewing and he hadn't attempted the steps which would have been bad since they are steep and we still carry him up and down steps. Whew! I have learned now to double check the gate! :doh:

#11 ·
Oh the puppy adventures sound awesome and so cute with escapes and playing! Our 5 year old son unfortunately has started getting up in the middle of the night scared of monsters and coming into our room at 1 am on Saturday and Sunday! I'm hoping to get this nipped in the butt before the puppy comes otherwise there really will be no sleep for anyone (except for my 7 year old daughter who could sleep through an earthquake I'm sure - I grew up in California).

Unfortunately we did not get to drive out to see the puppies last weekend. One pup ended up having a bacterial infection and was with the vet for a few days. So the breeder is protecting the litter and asked everyone to stay away for a week. She's trying to figure out what happened and keep everyone healthy. So, I'm hoping this will be the weekend. Also looks like we won't be picking up the puppy until after Thanksgiving which will make it 9 weeks, which may not be a problem after the health scare. Our family that we are going to is requesting no dogs to be brought. I was sort of worried anyways because 8 - 10 weeks is the fear period. Taking a brand new puppy to an unfamiliar home with a gathering of 18 people and 2 other dogs might not go well.

I'm getting anxious to the cuties. The videos and pics I get help. I'll post the one picture of them gathered around the feeding bowl.

#12 ·
I'm so glad there's now a thread for Sept pups! Our little girl was born Sept 29 as well, and we're bringing her home on the 21st (just shy of 8 weeks). Her mom is actually the sister of our 2.5 year old girl Loka, and we're so excited to bring her home! The countdown is definitely on here!

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's new puppy story, accompanied by some pictures, of course!

#13 ·
Meet Riley

I'd like to introduce you to Miss Riley! She was born on Sept 4. Not a fan of the crate, but she is our first golden that sleeps all night! 8:30 - 5:00! She has a big brother Radar who is eleven months, so they keep each other pretty busy! That could be why she sleeps so well lol. I look forward to seeing pics of all the new pups!

Attachments

#14 ·
Hi there!
Sooo happy to have found this forum!! We brought home our baby girl last weekend and it's our first adventure with a new puppy! We've had a golden before but she was older and very mellow!! We have tons of questions so this is great!

Looking foward to meeting new friends :)

Soo when does this bitting/nipping stop? Makes it hard for the kids to play with her!

Thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#21 · (Edited)
Hi there!
Sooo happy to have found this forum!! We brought home our baby girl last weekend and it's our first adventure with a new puppy! We've had a golden before but she was older and very mellow!! We have tons of questions so this is great!

Looking foward to meeting new friends :)

Soo when does this bitting/nipping stop? Makes it hard for the kids to play with her!

Thanks!!

Oh yeah... The nipping is not fun for the kids. Upon the suggestion of a trainer at our puppy classes we bought this toy that has a long stick with a rope and a toy at the end. It allows my 5 year old to play with the dog, but to be safely away from the nipping!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Games-Tail-Teaser-Refill/dp/B0042I5G2I[/ame]

And here is a picture of my 7 year of with our little guy who was born Sept. 5.

Attachments

#15 ·
Congrats on your new puppies!Love the picture!

I unfortunately received some bad news from our breeder today. She lost 3 of her 10 puppies! It was not a bacterial infection as thought. The little boy that was the first to get sick (the only one) and died. He was doing better on antibiotics but died Sunday. The breeder is devasted. She is very experienced and once two other females started getting sick she had more blood work run on the mom and pups and took one of the sick pups to the University of Missouri Vet School. It died there and lots of tests have been run. The have determined a South American strain of distemper. She was told that they know of the virus but it has been too time consuming and expensive to come up with a vaccine! She does show, and there are foreign dogs that are also shown. The mom showed antibodies for this, but did not pass on immunity? She still has more questions than answers. There are 7 girls left that seem healthy in the litter. This strain of distemper does not present with typical symptoms. There's no discharge from the eyes or nose or respiratory issues. There is no fever. They seemed healthy one day and went downhill the next. I have developed a good relationship with her and do trust her. She's been constantly disinfecting everything. She asked if we still wanted to go with her. I told her yes, assuming the rest survive. She just wants us to have a happy and healthy puppy no matter what. She has a friend with a litter due in December. I plan on staying with her. Assuming they survive this, I'm thinking they will be immune. After having just lost my poor Raz on October 9th, I've been looking forward to another golden. We will obviously not be visiting this weekend, and I know she's going to be hanging on to the puppies longer than 8 weeks. She hasn't even taken them outside yet (they are 6 1/2 weeks old, she's being super cautious). She's going off the Vet School recommendations for care. They got a specific distemper shot this weekend that is not supposed to have as many side effects. I'm going to be praying a lot that the rest of the litter stays healthy. We've purchased things already and are puppy proofing the house. I'm saying lots of prayers. Now I don't know if or when our little girl will come home.

#17 ·
I've checked in daily this week with the breeder and so far the remaining 7 girls are doing great. Saying lots of prayers. Just can't wait to bring our girl home!

#19 ·
Future Golden Mommy

Hi all!

I am so glad i found this forum, I am super excited because I will adopt a golden puppy early next month, I've read soooo much about the beautiful goldens and I absolutely love them. I grew up with dogs but never large dogs as goldens, I am unsure what to expect all i know is that i will love him so much- I cannot wait to meet him- My fiance and I will be taking a 4 hrs trip to him. Can you guys please instruct me in to what should i get for him before taking him home? and also what should i expect in the first months?

Thank you all in advance!!! :wavey:

#22 ·
Hi all!

I am so glad i found this forum, I am super excited because I will adopt a golden puppy early next month, I've read soooo much about the beautiful goldens and I absolutely love them. I grew up with dogs but never large dogs as goldens, I am unsure what to expect all i know is that i will love him so much- I cannot wait to meet him- My fiance and I will be taking a 4 hrs trip to him. Can you guys please instruct me in to what should i get for him before taking him home? and also what should i expect in the first months?

Thank you all in advance!!! :wavey:
A crate for sure and also read up on crate training. Plan on those first few days being horrendous (see my prior post where I spent the entire weekend in the same clothes....)

Also, with a big dog, start training right when possible. Puppy classes are agreat intro to working with your dog and a puppy is never too young to learn to sit!

#23 ·
Hi All!

Our little girl was born September 13th. We've had her home for 3 weeks and still having a tough time with potty training. She tends to get spooked by unfamiliar noises in the backyard which I think is contributing. She's doing great in the crate. She's only waking me up once during the night.

She loves her older brother. Our first Golden is 9 years old. I've uploaded a few photos. Has anyone considered dog food for "all ages" so both dogs can eat the same food?

We start puppy kindergarten on Thursday - can't wait!!!

Carrie

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Golden retriever Nap Canidae Dog Sleep

Dog Canidae Dog breed Play Carnivore

Attachments

#24 ·
You may find puppy kindergarten helps with the easy spooks and potty training.
My boy was born Sept 29th and he is a charm! He loves puppy classes also and it really has helped open him up.

Hello all fello September owners! I wanted to join the age group... My boy Remi didn't come from a super "reputable" breeder to standards that I've now learned, but he is calm, even tempered, quick to learn, and we love him to pieces even with his little white disqualifying toes. (And his breeders treated us like family and are in the process of getting clearances) He came from North Carolina and this momma drove a total of 28 hours between meeting him and then bringing him home.

Attachments

#25 ·
Hi coloradobacons (Kim), our pup is Holly and she is one of Aspen's sisters. This is our second golden. The first was named Wags and she also came from Judy years ago. She was a wonderful, sweet dog who was pretty laid back. Our new pup is is also wonderful but a lot different. She is a dare-devil who keeps us hopping. Nice to see your post.

#26 ·
I was hoping I'd meet some of the other people who have Aspen's littermates! Aspen can be calm but the kids get her wound up. Yes she's also a bit of a daredevil too!

#27 ·
Welcome Cider!

Hi all!
Our girl was born 9/19/13. She has been with us since 11/9. We are so smitten with her! Our oldie golden passed away last April, and the family wasn't the same...so in came Cider!
Looking forward to advice and fun on this board. Always good to have others to celebrate or commiserate with throughout puppyhood!!

Attachments

#28 ·
Oh goodness she's a little fur ball!

Hi all!
Our girl was born 9/19/13. She has been with us since 11/9. We are so smitten with her! Our oldie golden passed away last April, and the family wasn't the same...so in came Cider!
Looking forward to advice and fun on this board. Always good to have others to celebrate or commiserate with throughout puppyhood!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.