Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#236 ·
It DOES get better. I promise. 10.5 weeks and my pups starting to relax a little. Now she is used to our house and doesnt feel the need to explore and get into things as much. Every now and then I see her going into a no-no area AKA the closet with all our shoes. And I will just say no-no and she'll turn around and chew her toys on the rug. She still has bursts of energy and becomes a kamikaze puppy smashing into everything. But its been a lot easier lately. FIEW

SO ladies!!!! We look to the light in the end of the tunnel and KNOW our pups will be well mannered adults someday. :crossfing

well..... we hope :eek:

LOL get some sleep girlies!

PS. Thelma Lou is so stinking cute!!!! And she HAS gotten bigger!

#237 ·
I hear you, Amanda. :) we are concentrating heavily on the "off" command today in the hopes she will take it as a "please get your little mouth and razor sharp teeth off my hand/leg/pants/feet because it HURTS!" :)
And what else hurts is that she runs nose first into the backs of my legs when we're playing. Who figured her nose was so hard and pointy?

Thanks for the encouragement, Meg! You're just enough ahead of us to be our veteran puppy-owner. :)

#238 ·
Okay thank goodness it isn't just us! My mom brought up a good point today. She said if 1 year to a human is 7 years to a dog, then we are just getting into the terrible twos right now. So true!

We worked on "sit" a bit tonight, but frankly I feel like it's a waste of time when he's so riled up and not listening. We seem to have Charlie's attention the most when outside. He does really well with "come", even with distractions. I am just counting down the days until puppy kindergarten and the help of a certified trainer LOL. Here's some new pictures from today and yesterday:
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#239 ·
One more funny update before we head to bed - Charlie just farted for the first time (that I've noticed)! Adam is in the garage and it's just me and Charlie in the living room when I smell this yucky odor. I look around horrified that I must've taken my eyes off Charlie for a second. Nope, he is sound asleep at my feet and no accident to be seen! Looks like this is finally a time we can blame it on the dog :p

#240 ·
oh everyone's pups are so cute. I love the Christmas collar you have for Thelma, that is really pretty! Charlie is such a cuddle bug.
It is so interesting to read everyone's experiences. Right now our issue is again, sleep. She was up every two hours. I don't know why. We ignored her in the past and she had to poo so I'm worried to ignore her again. So it is if she is crying wolf! Last night we ignored her and she went back to sleep. I tell her, eh eh, enough, go to sleep and she will normally stop. But again, I'm hesitant cause I don't want her suffering in her crate if she really does have to go.
As far as biting goes. I told you all that we also ended up getting a nine month old by some off the wall chance. There as absolutely no intention of doing that! She controls Peaches' biting a lot. I follow her lead. She will take Peaches' muzzle inside her whole mouth. So i do that with Peaches until she sighs (not in my mouth, lol, but inside my hand) and once she gives up she won't bite any more. Well, for that five minutes of play anyway, ha ha.
She has gained a ton of weight too! She has gained almost three pounds since the day we got her!
I laughed about the kamikaze comment because we called Peaches the torpedo and we also say, do do do doooo! Puppy Power! When she rounds the corner, ha ha.

#241 ·
Oh, Shelby, I didn't know you had gotten the other golden for good! I was assuming you we're just dog-sitting for someone. My! Well, it sounds like it has been helpful at least and you already love her. :) And I imagine seeing her more mature behavior gives you hope Peaches will one day sleep through the night.... :)

#242 ·
AWWW Shelby do you have pics of the older pup?! Not sure if its the same situation but we ended up with our Boxer "Laina" kind of like that. Very unexpectedly.

My in-laws heard about a boxer for sale and knew she was in a bad situation. She came from Petland originally and was bought by some low-lifes that used her to breed. My in-laws said they were horrified by the conditions she was living in and had to adopt her. She had fleas, worms, infections, ear mites, and was very underweight. I went over to their house and was amazed to see another dog sitting on their porch!! I asked who she was and they said "well we were hoping you could take her". :eek: They didn't want 3 dogs so of course we took her and she has been the best dog I could ever ask for. And so we got Libby as a friend for her. They are best pals too!

Question ladies: Where are you taking your pups for puppy-classes, how much, how often is the class, and at what age can you bring them.

My husband and I have been contemplating bringing Libby to classes. She is doing very well right now but she might regress in a couple months during the teenage phase.....

#243 ·
Question ladies: Where are you taking your pups for puppy-classes, how much, how often is the class, and at what age can you bring them.

My husband and I have been contemplating bringing Libby to classes. She is doing very well right now but she might regress in a couple months during the teenage phase.....
We lucked out in that there's a great certified dog trainer who lives right in our small town! She teaches a wide variety of classes and is a CGC evaluator, which is great door our future goals. Classes start 13 Jan and meet for an hour each Sunday for five weeks. I believe all "students" are required to be at least 8 weeks old and have proof of current vaccinations. The cost is very reasonable, $100 for the five weeks which I believe is comparable with the big box store classes.

#244 ·
Wow that is so special about your pooch, Meg. How incredibly kind and loving you guys are! She is lucky to have you!

No, our breeder picked Kat out for show and she didn't pass her clearances at this past appointment for her eyes. So she can't be bred. Our breeder knew we'd want another pooch next year and asked if we'd like to have Katniss, who is 9 months old. Katniss is so gorgeous and really the sweetest, goofiest dog around. We had her over and fell in love and so did Peaches. They are inseparable. It is so crazy, never thought this would happen but so glad it did. Our breeder knew that we were good match for Katniss and it worked out awesome! I'll post some pictures of her, she is so funny while Peaches is so dominant and serious. they are yingandyang.
We are lucky like Amanda to have a team of dog trainers here in Augusta. They are certified in a lot of venues and we can pick what direction we want to move with our two. I really want to get them into something because I feel like they are meant to use their intelligence and abilities and I find that exciting as well. Our first classes is Puppy kindergarten it starts on the 8th and goes for 6 weeks (I think). It is 75 dollars, it is 8 to 13 weeks of age and they must have their second set of vacs. so lucky Peaches brother is going to be in the same class!
Ok, so I'll go see if I can find some cute shots of Katniss.

#247 ·
Ohhhh, I LOVE those pictures of Peaches and Katniss!!!! That sleeping one is the sweetest thing ever! What a fun house you have!

Today's word in our house is "under."
No, not under as in, I'm "under-prepared" for Christmas (although true), but under as in Thelma Lou likes to be UNDER things. She climbs under the furniture all day long. Sometimes she takes a nap, sometimes she growls ferociously at anyone who walks by, sometimes she takes her toys under the couch to play. It's funny-but I wonder how its going to work when she gets bigger! :)

We played outside a lot again yesterday. She would stay out all day if we let her. And she met our neighbor's boxer for the first time. She was a little overwhelmed by the boxer's exuberance at meeting. But it was great for her-she needs some doggie friends. And she needs someone of her species to let her know when she is being too rough. We're going to try to have them play daily or close to it.

Attachments

#253 ·
Hooray!! It's a whole new leash on life when you get some sleep, isn't it?
Does she usually go to sleep that early? I am wondering if you woke her up later,right before you went to bed, to take her out, if she could go even longer.
We go to bed late around here. So we usually take Thelma Lou out around 10 or 11, and she's been making it through to between 7-7:30 for several days now.
Last night we went to bed MUCH later. There was a storm that rolled through and broke one of the supports on our gazebo and while we were out tying it down, our neoghbor's gazebo got picked completely up and destroyed! They left yesterday on leave so that'll stink to come home to. I think we'll email them and give them the heads up.

#255 ·
ha ha, Matt wakes up at 4 am to get to work so we are used to going to bed at 9 pm. Lately we've been so exhausted that we are literally falling asleep in bed watching tv. I hope that after we get some sleep we can bump up her bedtime. Perhaps now that Matt is on block leave. I know that eventually things will be back in order.

Goodness gracious about the gazebo. WE've got some super strong wind here too and all my decorations have blown down and some trees feel but nothing as bad as your gazebo.

#256 ·
Hello, my name is Thelma Lou. I have an addiction to Christmas and I need a 10-step program. I realize that my family has spent the equivalent of a mid-size Eastern European country's budget on chew toys of all shapes and sizes for me; that means nothing. They are all dull and boring. What I really love are ornaments. Of any shape and size. Tree branches, paper snowflakes, wrapping paper, it's all so wonderfully fulfilling.....

Please send more decorations. Soon there will be none left here for me to enjoy....

Attachments

#260 ·
Charlie had the best day yesterday! First shopping in downtown Annapolis, where he was absolutely adored in every store we visited. Then we went to my uncle's house to watch the redskins game, and got to meet his new golden, Harley! Harley is 12 weeks old, so only a month older than my Charlie. Look at the size difference:

Dog Canidae Dog breed Puppy Golden retriever

Dog Pomeranian Canidae Puppy Companion dog

I can't believe that's what our puppies will look like so soon! A good reminder to take pictures every single day. I'm sure there will be plenty of Christmas pictures coming soon. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

#262 ·
Happy day after Christmas, everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful day yeaterday-we certainly did! We had an open house Christmas Eve, too, with lots of people and Thelma Lou was so thrilled at all the cuddles she got.
I have to go meet up for a championship round of Mario Kart in a sec, but I wanted to share a picture from her vet appt this morning.
12 pounds! I wish we could stop time for just a little while (for the kiddos AND the puppy.....)
Have a great rest of the week!

Eta: no idea why the pic is sideways. I'll try to fix it later...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.