Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#204 ·
My phone is about to die, but here is a sneak peek of (you guessed it) CHARLIE! The name just fits him. He was pretty scared at first. Luckily I brought a big cat crate with us, and he crawled right in and slept most of the way home, with some occasional crying. No accidents in the car, so it was a good trip!
Dog Canidae Maremma sheepdog Dog breed Sporting Group

Dog Canidae Dog breed Retriever Golden retriever

Once we got home, we took Charlie straight to his puppy safe zone and fed him lunch. The cats watched suspiciously.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Then Charlie did his business outside and we threw a little party. Woohoo! Then we gave him a bath which really settled him down. Now he and Adam are napping on the couch, and I'm about to join in! I'm exhausted!

Dog Canidae Dog breed Companion dog Carnivore

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Birth Childbirth Baby Arm Room

#205 ·
Congratulations!! I think he looks like a Charlie, too! And he's absolutely precious! Good idea for everyone to take a nap-so you're rested up for tonight. ;)
Keep the pictures and stories coming-so happy for you!!

#209 ·
I am trying to take a break from watching and reading about the sorrow in Connecticut tonight. Such a horrible thing. My heart breaks for those families.
Tonight was a lesson for me about what may constitute a little TOO much socialization.
We decided to take Thelma Lou to hubby's work party for a little bit. We only live about 3 minutes away so we could take her there and bring her home after a little while.
Everyone loved her. There was plenty of stimuli (lights, decorations, music, balloons, etc) and it was definitely living up to the "a tired puppy is a good puppy" standard. But little girls wanted to walk her around, there was stuff on the floor, pizza at eye level, etc. it was too much stimuli for ME. I had to bring her home much sooner than I planned because it was impossible to relax with so many dangers for her.
I carried her out to the car and she snuggled up to my neck. I held her on my lap (not ideal, but it was only a mile) and she immediately fell asleep. I carried her in to her crate and she went right back to sleep while I headed back to the party.
So. Lesson learned.
Here is some cuteness for today. I used her as the "puppy alarm" to get the boys up this morning, but she was pretty ineffective. She licked their faces, then snuggled under the covers and went to sleep with them...

Attachments

#211 ·
I completely understand how you felt at the party. I feel so stressed about her getting hurt or eating something that will hurt her that I can't relax most of the time. I think it will wear off as we grow together. She probably loved that party, though, what a great idea! I know Peaches loves people and kids that anytime they are around her little tail wags so hard I think it might break off!!

Everything is going really well with Ms. Peaches. She is so unbelievably smart that I can't wrap my head around it. It is weird some times. Like we went on a walk down the road to get to a field. She walked on her leash there and back like a pro! I didn't really have to do anything but put the leash on and then she started prancing. And having Kat to follow helped her immensely I'm sure. She LOVES to fetch. Loves it. So we took them off their leashes and she would wait patiently for Kat to go get her ball and then we'd throw Peaches' little duck and Peaches would run to get it and come back to us. People would walk by and just watch from afar and ooh and awww because both dogs together look so beautiful running to fetch and then so endearing while they lay in the grass wrestling. Kat is so gentle with Peaches.

Also Peaches knows Come so well that it life makes easy for me. I hope this isn't a fluke because it is helpful right now, especially in learning other things. She knows sit and table (which is a term I'm using for her to jump on a small platform) She eats her food in a flat 1.5 minutes, ha ha! Also, she is sleeping so much better. We went to bed at 9 and she went in her crate and woke up at 115 to pee went back and didn't wake back up until 545. Even when Kat barked after hearing the cat coming down the stairs at 3 am. (ugh) And her poop is perfect :bowl:

All in all, things are going so crazy smooth right now. Is it hard? Yes. But it is so rewarding I just love her and I love Kat. This is an amazing journey, that's for sure, and our kids are learning and experiencing things and that is also a rewarding feeling to watch. To see them love on Peaches and lay on Kat in front of the fire is like looking at a Landsend scene, ha ha!! It just doesn't seem real.
I've been trying to post some photos but it won't let me. I'll try on the next post.

#212 · (Edited)
Can we talk potty-training? Maybe I should start a thread on the bigger puppy forum, where people who have been through this can weigh in.
Thelma Lou is doing really well about her potty. She has had a few (3 exactly) poop accidents in the house-all completely our fault. But she can really hold her potty for a long time. She doesn't have to go every 30 min or so like I had read they would. She really can wait an hour or even more, and obviously in her crate can wait longer.
The thing is, I do recognize this little whine sound she makes when she really has to go if I am right there when she does it. If I'm not, well, that's how we've had the three accidents.
And sometimes she doesn't make the sound at all, but when we take her out she goes potty immediately, like she really had to go.
How do I get her to really let us know she needs to go? We take her out the same door every time, tell her, "lets go potty," on the way and praise her effusely when she goes. I read about teaching them to ring a bell on the door when they need to go?
What are Peaches, Libby, et al, doing about that?

Edited to add:
Well, as soon as I was done typing this and she finished playing with her boy, I looked over and there she was, sitting on the mat by the back door. Let her out, she peed, and all is good.
Maybe she heard I was tattling on her.... ;)

#218 ·
Wow it's been awhile since I've posted. I just wanted to chime in and talk a little more about my little Libby. I call her little but she's really growing a lot!! I wish I had a scale to weigh her but I think she could be close to 15 lbs at 10 weeks. Maybe more. I'm not good at guessing that sort of thing. But she's big.

I want to offer some hope for you and Peaches. Because Libby now sleeps through the whole night from about 11 PM to 7:30 or 8 am. It does get better!!!! But I'm really glad to hear she's warming up to the crate. Is she still sleeping in your bed at night?

It terms of potty training we are doing so well. When put her paw on the bell range it, praised her. Said GO POTTY and brought her outside. Then of course treating and praising her after she went. And even if she didn't "go". Because it's the idea of ringing bell=go outside. She is completely trained. Although she did have one accident at the door while I was upstairs getting ready for work yesterday. But that was my fault. I don't watch her like a hawk anymore.

Our only issues are, at evening time she gets zoomies... BAD. Like a maniac she runs around and with slippery wood floors, slips and knock over everything :doh: She also gets more nippy during her "crazy spells". Ahhh what can you do. I just try to time her out until she relaxes. Which takes a few minutes. I know she gets plenty of exercise, its just her being hyper after I come home from work. She gets super excited!!!

Also I'm jealous about your pups that walk nice. Libby goes crazy on a leash. She loves being outside so much.

One other thing. I have not been diligent in obedience training. AGH!! She knows sit perfectly but I haven't had time to train her to do other commands. I feel like I'm dropping the ball in that area.

Anywho I'm glad to be back on the forum and following my October buddies. I love all your pups. Peaches and Thelma Lou are just precious. As is little Charlie!!!

P.S. I love that name for him. It suits him.

I will be posting more pics of my Libby soon. I'm going to start calling her "wild thing" :D

Blessings all!

#215 ·
Hello October people! Sorry we've been MIA, it's been a whirlwind 24 hrs :) Charlie is doing great so far. No accidents during the day yet and two overnight, which were totally my fault. We crated him in our room and were ignoring his whimpers, well unfortunately he was trying to say it was potty time! Complete fail on my part - I will do better at watching him tonight to distinguish the "I wanna play" cry from the "it's potty time" cry.

The cats are doing pretty well with their new little brother. Charlie and I ended up "sleeping" downstairs so Adam could rest up for work, and the cats were very inquisitive all night. Between them running around and Charlie needing to go out, I'm running on about 90 minutes of sleep right now haha. Adam woke up this morning to find me and Charlie asleep on the floor of the puppy safe room, LOL!

The not-so-good things so far: a few people seem to be EXTREMELY vocal about their opinions on dogs, and not always in a good/useful way. Charlie had his exam today at a local vet, where I was essentially berated for having a purebred from a breeder vice rescuing. Every other pet I've ever owned has been a rescue, and there are several valid reasons we went the reputable breeder route, but I found myself doubting my decision and welling up in tears. I think it was the lack of sleep. Rescue is such a noble cause, but I wish it had been handled more professionally. Needless to say, we'll be finding a different vet.

On the whole, Charlie has just been such a joy. He's already met about 20 people, so we're off to a good start on socialization! Here's a picture I took of him this morning. The cat in the background is Toby!
Dog Canidae Mammal Dog breed Schnoodle

#216 ·
aww I love it! Don't worry about what those people say to you, you know what is right and what is wrong for your family. I definitely think it is lack of sleep. That is how I was earlier this week and I was very very weepy. I couldn't even stop moving or I'd fall to the ground. Good to say that now I feel a bit more rested (thought not like it was before she came, ha ha) but things are getting better and they will for you too. I'm glad you posted, I missed you!

#217 ·
Finally I had to resize all these photos. that hasn't happened before and this is my crappy little camera.
So here is Peaches with her bully stick. She loves these things! She and Kat each have their own and sit here and watch me while I'm getting ready in the bathroom, ha ha.
Dog Canidae Mammal Dog breed Golden retriever

Here she is at Petco. She didn't like that cart she wanted to walk around like Kat.
Mammal Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

She is totally wiped out.
Mammal Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Canidae

they love snuggling up.
Dog Mammal Dog breed Canidae Floor

She got in the mud in the backyard and then it was so much fun it was exhausting.
Vertebrate Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed

Savannah snuggling our little butterball…
Mammal Canidae Dog Puppy love Companion dog

#219 ·
Fluffy little Charlie is so cute!!
That was the vet who said those things to you? Sheesh. I'm sorry. I hope you can find another vet that will love your puppy and support you.
That, plus some sleep, will make a lot of difference in your life. ;)
Your cats are so much better than ours! One is very interested, but won't let Thelma Lou come too near. The other has been hiding out since she got here. Just comes out for dinner and breakfast.

#220 ·
Wow, Libby is sleeping so long!! You are so lucky, I hope that at 10 weeks Peachy girl will be too. She is sleeping in her crate now. It was only one night of weakness that she slept in my bed. She doesn't whine anymore and goes to chill out there periodically during the day on her own. So here's hoping!
I love your name for her, Wild Girl!

#221 ·
Haha of course today she hasn't been living up to that name. She actually has been pretty chill. :D

And I think she's sleeps so long because she KNOWS mommy's a sleeper. HAHA when I was a toddler I used to put myself to bed.

I love that name "Peachy girl"

I have a feeling we will all be coming up with many nicknames for our babes :D

#222 ·
Here's a christmas pic!! Libby turned 10 weeks today. I think she looks so much more mature in the 3 weeks I've had her.

I think you can see that she is not too interested in picture taking time in the second photo... LOL

Attachments

#223 ·
Thanks all! Our afternoon has been MUCH better, thank goodness! Adam is at work, so my mom came and watched Charlie while I took a short nap. Afterward, we played outside for a long time which was great! Charlie ran after me all over the yard, and we even taught him "come"! He would come to both my mom and me when called. He was loving it, just trotting around with leaves and his ball :) now he's napping peacefully next me on the couch. Lets hope it lasts! Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Retriever

#227 ·
awww wow, Libby is so beautiful, I love that photo! I want one so bad of peaches in front of the tree and she is just to active right now! LL has totally grown up a lot!

Glad you got some sleep, Amanda. I love come, its the best command, ah ha

hey Murphey! You and my Peaches share a birthday!! He is gorgeous!

#228 ·
I'm loving all these new pics and stories! And welcome Murphy!
I will be AWOL for a little while-lots of official functions and church activities, plus our oldest and his wifey coming down to watch the Hobbit with us tomorrow night. AND our unit coming in from Afghanistan about 3am tonight!
I'll check back when I can-keep writing and posting pics so I can keep up with all these adorable pups!
Our fun for the day is that Thelma Lou likes to climb under the sofa and stick just her nose out to scare you. She does a little growl/bark to sound ferocious.

Here is a picture of her at daddy's work. We took her with us to decorate for the homecoming today. They have sticks there, so it was awesome.

Attachments

#230 ·
I am just loving all of these pictures of the puppies! Of course the pictures of Libby are just stunning. I have had a small photography business for a bit but after a while I realized I love photography, hate the business. Don't you love it when people ask "what kind of camera do you use?" (As if the camera alone can take the pictures).

#232 ·
Well, I'm back and feeling like a normal person again after 7 hours of sleep last night! THAT was a busy weekend. But tons of fun. The homecoming was awesome. Nothing like seeing families with signs and little kids and the band and lots of other people out to welcome Soldiers back from deployment at 3 in the morning. We had a great time and so happy their families will be together for Christmas.
Thelma Lou did very well with our nutty schedule. We did have a rough night Sunday night. She had been home in her crate a long time on Sunday. We kept running home or having someone scoot over to let her out, but we were gone a long time and she slept much of the day. Which I found out when we got home at 1 am and she was wide awake and ready to play!
But last night she slept straight through and I feel like a new person.

For milestones, we don't really have any, actually. Training was kind of on hold over the weekend. Today we have been working on a good recall. The weather is gorgeous so we have spent most of the day outside. Right now she is crashed on the floor in her puppy jail (pen). Which tells you how tired she is because she hates the puppy jail.

My favorite moments with her are right when she wakes up from a nap. She is so cuddly and just wants to be held. Her eyes are kind of sleepy and she snuggles onto my lap. She is so stinkin smart, too. We are amazed every day. And are reminded that we have to stay on our toes to think one step ahead of her.
We successfully switched her food and she hasn't had a bit of trouble. We went with Simply Nourish which is the Petsmart brand food. It met nearly all the criteria we had and received good ratings. Plus there are always Petsmarts around and the price was reasonable. We almost went with Purina Pro Plan but ended up not, for no reason, really.
Anyway, the point is Thelma Lou has done great and hasn't had any potty problems at all.

I can't believe how much she has grown in the 8 days we've had her. She can reach things on the coffee table now and can go up the two steps from the patio in the back door. We were marveling over the fact that our original plan was to pick her up yesterday! We would have missed out on so much fun....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.