Goldens Born on October 2012 - Page 36 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:37 AM
aka Shelby

that is great! I've already taught Katniss to Leave it and I can place them on her paws and stuff. Peaches isn't a lunger for treats but she doesn't have much impulse control. I did this and she figured it out pretty quick and I started doing the floor with both of the dogs. I said Leave it. They were both laying there staring that food down with wagging tails. They I said OK to release them and they gobbled them up. It was too cute to see them both obeying with each other there to make it harder to control themselves!

Kitty taking her bird for a joyride....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM

That's just awesome! Thanks! We practiced it a bit this morning. She figured out she wasn't going to get it if she tried licking it, but let's just say, we are not QUITE at the level of the puppies in the video....

Shelby, I am so impressed you've already taught Peaches and Katniss so well! And I'm slightly jealous.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
aka Shelby

Thanks, LeighAnne! I'm trying so hard because I really want to get them into competitions and the trainers agree they are fit for it, I just have to be trained to train them! They have learned so much. I have Kat bringing in the mail now, lol!

I took Peaches to the vet today for her third vacs. She said there is no way Peaches has a UTI. She sleeps from 8 pm to 6 pm and doesn't need to go out. If she had a UTI she couldn't hold it like that. She said she was normal and I'm doing everything right, she just isn't there yet. I'm ok with that, I just wanted to make sure that was it and it wasn't something I was doing wrong.
I may be taking her out TOO much, though. I talked to my breeder today and I might not be allowing her to learn how to hold it by herself during the day. So maybe I can spread it out a bit further.

Oh and she weight 21.6 pounds!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 PM

What kind of competitions are you going to do? I think Thelma Lou would be great at agility. I do worry about her shoulders a little bit. We had to stop taking her to her favorite playground so often because she LOVES to run and leap over all the little walls and things. This forum has me scared that she is doing damage to her joints.

Does anyone else's puppy like to make piles of their toys? Thelma Lou will go all around the house, collecting up her toys and put them in one big pile. Then she chooses something out of the pile to play with.

Here she is today, at 13 weeks. Shots on Monday so we'll weigh in then!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	611.0 KB
ID:	132393  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM
aka Shelby

Look at Thelma! She is sure getting big and she has such a pretty face! I love her ears!
That is hilarious about her piling up her toys. I bet you could teach her to put them up since she is already carrying them around. I'm trying to teach mine that currently but it sounds like TL has a leg up since she is comfortable dragging them places.

We are looking at agility and competitive obedience. Currently I have Peaches in kindergarten but starting at the end of March she will begin her first real class in that direction. They have to get through obedience 101 before we can do anything else. Kat is in it right now and it is really great because the women that teach it are all in the competition circuits and have so much experience and information to share with me. One instructor's dog is a top ten nation wide obedience champ and another used to be a judge so I am in good hands! They are all very excited to get me going! WE have no idea what field the dogs will excel in but the instructors and my breeder feel that it will be my personal preference because the dogs are pretty good at everything.

If you are interested in agility then get her into obedience classes because you can't do agility until they are done with that. It is all off leash and you have to have obedience mastered to compete in agility. I have a LONGGG way for that, ha ha!

Meanwhile, I have them doing certain things to help them get used to agility. For example I started teaching jump. I love working on it all with them.
Our classes have agility equipment so after the 101 class they get to try on out. Last week it was the A frame. Kat did awesome so now I'm working on her contacts before class starts.
It is so much information and I feel completely overwhelmed at times because I've never heard of any of it but it is very rewarding for me. I love it and Matt is completely on board with me traveling around to competitions. In two weeks I'm going to a show in Atlanta and some agility trails mid February. I want to start watching them so I get an idea how it all works. Youtube just isn't enough, ha ha! It is about time I get a hobby for me instead of following him around and only focusing on him and the army. I'm so excited!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM

Vet report: 19.7 lbs and "look how leggy she has gotten!"
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Question: How long am I supposed to feed Dug moist kibbles?

Hope you all have a happy day with your pups!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Faux Wanda

Thanked 1,016 Times in 546 Posts
I am a little late to this party because I just picked up my puppy last Friday. Hanna's birthday is October 30, 2012.
She was already sold to someone else but they weren't able to pick her up due to their schedule change so the breeder was holding her for them. When Hanna was almost 12 weeks old, the breeder convinced them to wait for another litter when they weren't traveling as much and they agreed. When I got the call that she was available, I went right away to check her out. (That is what I told my husband) He didn't realize that I took the checkbook and a blanket and crate with me. Anyway, we came home with her. She is a real sweetheart and gets along well with the other dogs. I am hoping that because she is 12 weeks old, she will be easier to housebreak. We shall see.
It will be fun watching other pups her age grow up on this forum.
We had our 12 week vet visit yesterday and she weighs 22 lb. I think most of that is hair. She is a big fluff ball.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	133937   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	737.3 KB
ID:	133945   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	133953   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	133961  

Name:	017.JPG
Size:	633.6 KB
ID:	133969   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Size:	745.0 KB
ID:	133977  

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Hanna is so adorable! So now you have 3 goldens? What a happy place your house must be! I'd love to have another, but our lifestyle can only handle one....maybe one day....

And Autumn, we're still putting water in Thelma Lou's kibble. Not soaking it, just running it under the faucet for a sec before we give it to her. I think she'd be fine with dry food, but she likes this and slurps up the "gravy" it makes. Plus, I figure this way I know she's staying hydrated.

Last edited by Barneysgirl; 01-22-2013 at 12:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barneysgirl For This Useful Post:
goldhaven (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Faux Wanda

Thanked 1,016 Times in 546 Posts
Thanks. Your little girl is adorable too. I love seeing all the pictures of the pups born in the same month and following their progress.
I thought Hanna was a little big for 12 weeks but with some of the other pups being 19 lb. I guess she is not too far off.

The Following User Says Thank You to goldhaven For This Useful Post:
Barneysgirl (01-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement