Goldens Born on October 2012 - Page 35 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM

She eats Simply Nourish LB puppy food, which is chicken and brown rice. I don't think that's the problem at all, since she transitioned to it very easily just a week after we had her. And we haven't increased the amount we're feeding her recently. Except that the other day we remembered she did have more treats (dried liver pieces) than usual. We took her on a walk and were working to get her better about walking right with us. That could be it, I suppose. My husband also said maybe it's the enormous amount of Bitter Apple spray she has ingested with all her chewing lately.
She normally poops 3 times a day. Once after each meal. Lately she's either pooping a ton, or not at all. She's only pooped once since early this morning. Who knows?
I took her temperature and it was normal.
I guess she was crying. I didn't hear her at all. I feel terrible about it. Today she is alternately feisty and playful or very calm and nappy. We'll see how tonight goes. She's hungry, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Well, we made it through the night with no potty problems! We got up around 6:45 and she peed then played fetch for a little while. We came in and 10-15 minutes later she was at the back door whining. I took her back out and she pooped! It was back to almost-normal.
So maybe she's worked things through her system. I can tell she definitely feels better today.
Now we just have the eye drops to continue. And I'm going to keep treats/rewards to a minimum for a little while.
On to the day!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Peaches: Excellent pictures! I loved the one of the older dogs all swimming up to their necks.

Dug was doing amazingly well with potty training from day one, only two accidents in a week and a half time period, then he got a u.t.i, and there were quite a few pee accidents, but those don't count in my mind. Since his u.t.i has cleared up, he has had one poop incident on the dining room floor~ thank goodness we have hardwood, otherwise the clean freak within may be having anxiety. We take him out non stop, which could be bad I suppose, because we're not really giving him much of an opportunity to actually "tell" us he has t go. We have considered getting the Tell Bell. How many of you are using the bell method and what are your thoughts/opinions on it?

I have been trying to upload pictures for days now, with no luck. I've tried from two different computers and each time it tells me there is a server error. Anyone have any idea how I can stop this from happening? I'm eager to share pictures of Dug in all his cuteness.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM
aka Shelby

That is great that TL is on the mend! What a relief not to worry about every little thing you feed her, I know that is a pain.
I understand what you mean about Dug. I feel like we take Peaches out a lot but as our trainer says, its a lot faster to take them out than to clean up a mess!
We tried to do the bells but all Peaches wanted to do is eat the string holding them and play with them so I didn't pursue it further. Good luck on it! I hope you can upload pics soon!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 AM
aka Shelby

BTW I have to resize all my photos that I post on here. it is a major pita but the only way I can upload them on here.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Aka Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn2011 View Post
Peaches: Excellent pictures! I loved the one of the older dogs all swimming up to their necks.

Dug was doing amazingly well with potty training from day one, only two accidents in a week and a half time period, then he got a u.t.i, and there were quite a few pee accidents, but those don't count in my mind. Since his u.t.i has cleared up, he has had one poop incident on the dining room floor~ thank goodness we have hardwood, otherwise the clean freak within may be having anxiety. We take him out non stop, which could be bad I suppose, because we're not really giving him much of an opportunity to actually "tell" us he has t go. We have considered getting the Tell Bell. How many of you are using the bell method and what are your thoughts/opinions on it?

I have been trying to upload pictures for days now, with no luck. I've tried from two different computers and each time it tells me there is a server error. Anyone have any idea how I can stop this from happening? I'm eager to share pictures of Dug in all his cuteness.

Libby uses bells to tell us when she has to go. She has had great success with it . It really helps when I am upstairs getting ready for my day and I can hear her ringing them downstairs. I would highly recommend them until they are fully trained and they can hold it a lot longer.

Good luck!

Libby's Mom, Meg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Just checking in! Monty will be 15 weeks this Sunday! I can't believe how fast it's going!! Potty training is close to perfect--only one pee-pee accident in the past 2 weeks. I can't even remember the last time he pooped in the house it's been so long. But he's not perfect! LOL! He found the garbages! OH NO!! And he found that he can reach the table and the counters when stading on his hind legs. The bathroom garbage is the worst! He is constantly coming out of the bathroom with kleenex in his mouth!! Dinner was almost snatched last night from the table while we were setting it. So, although he's still a good boy, I have to be more watchful of where he's at!!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Goldens Born on October 2012

Autumn2011, glad to hear Dug's on the mend!

Nikki, I totally relate to the Kleenex (just posted a pic of Gretzky and toilet paper!) and the counter / table surfing. Seems like they learn something devious with every "good" command!!

Gretzky saw the opthamologist again on Saturday. He's doing well overall, although the left eye is just cyst and no actual eye tissue. We'll have to remove it, probably around 6 months. It doesn't bother him at all, sweet boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
aka Shelby

so glad that Gretzky's eye is nothing terribly serious.

So Nikki I understand about all the naughtiness on top of the cuteness!~

Today was just a hard day for me. Does anyone ever have those days? The kind that wear you out and you just wish you could veg out without worrying about the dogs getting into something. Peaches was just into everything and had a pee pee accident so I was stressed out about that. It is like just when I let my guard down after she hasn't had an accident in forever she goes and pees by the door. So the rest of my day was micromanaging everything she did in order to catch her before she had an accident. It seems like she is way behind your pups in the housebreaking. She is going to the vet tomorrow for her third set of shots so I'll see if they can check her for a UTI or give me some advice. We do everything that is out there to do so I don't know if what she is doing is normal or if she really is behind. It sounds like all of your dogs are so far advanced on that.
Well, I'm completely exhausted mentally and physically. RAin sucks in puppy land that is for sure!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Aka Meg

You guys I just found this amazing video about teaching your pup impulse control. I just did one session with Libby for about 10 mins and WHOA what a difference.

I don't want this post to be too long winded, but I will give you a glimpse at why I wanted Libby to learn this. Whenever we do our training sessions and she does a command correctly I want to give her a treat, however as I am about to give it to her, she lunges towards my hand. It has gotten a lot better because I taught her "take it nice" and I wont let her have it unless she takes the treat without lunging or chomping on my hand. Well let me tell you, this new training technique works 100% better and she caught on SOOOOO quickly!!!!

I think this is such an important skill for our pups to know so that they dont jump on tables, counters, get into trash etc. Basically you rewarded them when they avoid the temptation. In this case its the treat in my hand.

Let me say I am going to start EVERY training session with this. Because never before has she looked into my eyes to see if I will give her the treat. Her focus has always been on my hand with the treats. After one session of doing this, she watches me, and waits. She doesn't lunge, she takes the treats so gently.
I really just cant say enough about this training technique.

So try it with your pups and see if it works. Libby didn't quite catch on as quickly as the pup in the video. But I still saw results VERY quickly.

Take care guys!

Libby's Mom, Meg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement