Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#77 ·
I wish we had Thelma Lou this week-the weather is so gorgeous-we could do lots of playing out in the yard!
Instead, I'm trying hard to get all the extended family gifts mailed off so there will be no waiting in post office lines when she is home. Hmmm-I wonder if we could bring her with us to the post office....
The oys are pushing hard to bring her home next Monday. It's before our crazy-busy weekend, but we do have some down days Mon-Thurs. The biggest downside is that my hubby will be out of town then, and of course the nutty weekend following.....
I texted the breeder. We'll see what she says about it...and maybe we'll go visit her tomorrow and play outside with her there. (The puppy, not the breeder...) ;)

#78 ·
You know, if you got a crate, I think leaving her alone would be fine. I was talking to my breeder and she doesn't think that Peaches will be sleeping in it at night cause we will be cuddling her. BUT she wouldn't want us to leave her in the house while we were gone without the crate. She made an excellent point. She said that we don't want to be watching her 24/7 in the house. She said it is important that we put her in the crate and leave the house so she doesn't develop separation issues from me being right by her side all the time in the beginning. And that is so true. I cannot stand those dogs that bark all day long when their owners leave them. I want her to be independent and relaxed in her crate while I go to the store or go for a run.
Perhaps you should get the crate and then pick her up this weekend and she'll get used to being in it while you are busy that weekend. Just an idea.

#79 · (Edited)
That is a really good point. Kind of like with human babies!
I didn't hear back from the breeder today. She may not have gotten my text-I'll give her a call tomorrow. I am so busy this week I can hardly breathe. In fact, I am considering, with great consternation, going to the commissary and buying German Lebkuchen to take to the cookie exchange I have to go to tomorrow night, rather than baking...pathetic.

I'd like to just skip ahead to having Thelma Lou and all of us sitting around playing with her, listening to Christmas carols, and staying HOME. :)

#84 ·
Another fun, adorable visit with Thelma Lou. Pics to come, BUT.....

When we got there the breeder wanted to talk with me. The puppies went to the vet yesterday and they found out that Thelma Lou has split canines. Both of her lower canines are split from about halfway down up to the top. I've never noticed it, but its definitely obvious when you look closely. What does that mean? The breeder and apparently the vet were unsure. She is the only one in the litter with the problem. It could mean that those baby teeth just formed weird, or it could mean that when her adult canines grow in there will be two on each side and she will have to have them extracted.
Here are my options: get our deposit back and find another puppy (very nice of them to offer, I thought), take one of the two puppies left (both male), or get approx a 15% discount on Thelma Lou.
I suppose we will call some vets and see what the range of costs is for tooth extraction. Obviously we don't plan on showing her or breeding her-she's just a family pet, so it's not a cosmetic thing. Ugh. Maybe I will ask on the main forum.

#89 ·
awww she is so tiny and sweet. I don't know any of this about the teeth. Will it disrupt her at all while she eats as a puppy? I would find out how much the removal costs and if it is something that is necessary and ask if you can deduct that amount from her cost. I mean it is an added expense that is a definite (not unexpected at this point) and if they have to be removed then anyone that takes her is going to have to pay for that on top of the cost of the dog. Even if the breeder keeps her herself. 15% of 1500 dollars is 200 dollars. I wonder how much the tooth removal is? In my case, if it was covered than fine. If it was more than 200 than I'd ask for them to deduct the entire cost of the tooth removal.

#91 ·
9 in her litter. They have another litter, a week younger, with 6. If we choose one of the two males, he will come from that second litter.

I've googled it a bit and it looks like tooth extractions can run anywhere from $150-$200, depending on the tooth and other issues. Molars would be at the higher range, which is good, since this issue is with her canines. It's not a definite that she would have to have the extraction-she only has two teeth right now. It would all depend on what happens when her adult canines come in in several months. If that split is because of two teeth buds then she would get two adult canines and have to have them extracted.
It doesn't affect her eating at all-but it could bring some extra dental cleaning needs, if stuff got caught in the little crack.

#95 ·
I think I'm being confusing. She has all her baby teeth-this is only affecting the two bottom canine teeth. Everything looks normal, except if you look closely at the two bottom canines (the pointy ones), they look like they are cracked from the top to halfway down. They are not misshapen-just have a little line that is the split. Does that make more sense?

#98 ·
I don't know. We, and especially the boys, are already really attached to her. If that truly is the worst case scenario then I guess it's not too bad. But I've never seen it before and it doesn't seem like the vet had really seen it, either, although now that I think about it, the breeder may have mentioned a name for it? I can't remember for sure-I was kind of overwhelmed because she told us right when she got there and the boys were fawning over the puppy and I was taking it all in.
My husband and I will talk about it tonight-I'm going to call some other vets in the area tomorrow and then we'll decide.
Honestly, I can't imagine us taking another one.....she feels like part of the family already.

#100 ·
Honestly I don't remember. It just said infections can occur inside those cracks and there were a lot of people talking about how their dogs had the infections.
It sounds like that is a minor condition compared. I don't think I'd give up Peaches because of that but I would ask to have the full amount deducted from the cost of the dog to offset this known condition.
Maybe you should put this in the main forum and see what others suggest. I know there are a few vets on here. They would give good advice I think.

#102 ·
I put it on the health forum-no info yet, but we'll see.
And I called the vet that examined her-they remember her and the vet is going to call me back when she's finished with a patient. So maybe I'll have some answers shortly.
FWIW, the boys woke up still counting down the days till Thelma Lou comes home. I broached the subject of looking at the other puppies and the little one teared up. Even my husband said, "But it just seems like she's supposed to be with us...." followed by, "The idea of a $2000 vet bill for a puppy we just paid for is not pleasant..."

#105 ·
Great news! I just got off the phone with the vet who saw Thelma Lou on Monday. She is soooo nice, by the way. I'm glad, because we are still looking for a vet we like since we are new to the area.
Anyway, the biggest concern for the vet is that we do not breed her or plan on showing her, as this is a genetic condition. She is a non-conformist. Already causing trouble. ;)
She said we could spay her between 5-6 months and go ahead and remove the baby teeth then (it is actually two teeth on each side and not one with a split. I guess the bottoms are just really tight together) so it's easier for the adult canines to come in. $25 to remove the baby teeth.
Then, worst case scenario, she does grow two adult canines in. She will need to go back in and under sedation to have one on each side removed. Leaving them in could result in periodontal disease, gum recession, etc, due to food and fur getting stuck between them. Estimated cost is under $200.
Early care is just brushing with a finger brush to help keep her gums stimulated and get her used to having her teeth brushed. Nothing special. Letting her play with ropes and things to encourage those baby canines to fall out quickly.

So, it looks like its going to be a non-issue! We had no intention of breeding or showing her-we just want a family companion-and it looks like even if things turn out worst case, it's not a big deal.
And we found a vet in the process. Kind of a win-win. And the vet said lots of nice things about the breeder, which made me feel good.

#106 ·
Great news! I just got off the phone with the vet who saw Thelma Lou on Monday. She is soooo nice, by the way. I'm glad, because we are still looking for a vet we like since we are new to the area.
Anyway, the biggest concern for the vet is that we do not breed her or plan on showing her, as this is a genetic condition. She is a non-conformist. Already causing trouble. ;)
She said we could spay her between 5-6 months and go ahead and remove the baby teeth then (it is actually two teeth on each side and not one with a split. I guess the bottoms are just really tight together) so it's easier for the adult canines to come in. $25 to remove the baby teeth.
Then, worst case scenario, she does grow two adult canines in. She will need to go back in and under sedation to have one on each side removed. Leaving them in could result in periodontal disease, gum recession, etc, due to food and fur getting stuck between them. Estimated cost is under $200.
Early care is just brushing with a finger brush to help keep her gums stimulated and get her used to having her teeth brushed. Nothing special. Letting her play with ropes and things to encourage those baby canines to fall out quickly.

So, it looks like its going to be a non-issue! We had no intention of breeding or showing her-we just want a family companion-and it looks like even if things turn out worst case, it's not a big deal.
And we found a vet in the process. Kind of a win-win. And the vet said lots of nice things about the breeder, which made me feel good.

Woohoo! So happy to hear good news for Thelma Lou and for your family! :party:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.