Goldens Born on October 2012 - Page 22 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM
aka Shelby

I completely understand how you felt at the party. I feel so stressed about her getting hurt or eating something that will hurt her that I can't relax most of the time. I think it will wear off as we grow together. She probably loved that party, though, what a great idea! I know Peaches loves people and kids that anytime they are around her little tail wags so hard I think it might break off!!

Everything is going really well with Ms. Peaches. She is so unbelievably smart that I can't wrap my head around it. It is weird some times. Like we went on a walk down the road to get to a field. She walked on her leash there and back like a pro! I didn't really have to do anything but put the leash on and then she started prancing. And having Kat to follow helped her immensely I'm sure. She LOVES to fetch. Loves it. So we took them off their leashes and she would wait patiently for Kat to go get her ball and then we'd throw Peaches' little duck and Peaches would run to get it and come back to us. People would walk by and just watch from afar and ooh and awww because both dogs together look so beautiful running to fetch and then so endearing while they lay in the grass wrestling. Kat is so gentle with Peaches.

Also Peaches knows Come so well that it life makes easy for me. I hope this isn't a fluke because it is helpful right now, especially in learning other things. She knows sit and table (which is a term I'm using for her to jump on a small platform) She eats her food in a flat 1.5 minutes, ha ha! Also, she is sleeping so much better. We went to bed at 9 and she went in her crate and woke up at 115 to pee went back and didn't wake back up until 545. Even when Kat barked after hearing the cat coming down the stairs at 3 am. (ugh) And her poop is perfect

All in all, things are going so crazy smooth right now. Is it hard? Yes. But it is so rewarding I just love her and I love Kat. This is an amazing journey, that's for sure, and our kids are learning and experiencing things and that is also a rewarding feeling to watch. To see them love on Peaches and lay on Kat in front of the fire is like looking at a Landsend scene, ha ha!! It just doesn't seem real.
I've been trying to post some photos but it won't let me. I'll try on the next post.

Kitty taking her bird for a joyride....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to MillionsofPeaches For This Useful Post:
Barneysgirl (12-15-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Can we talk potty-training? Maybe I should start a thread on the bigger puppy forum, where people who have been through this can weigh in.
Thelma Lou is doing really well about her potty. She has had a few (3 exactly) poop accidents in the house-all completely our fault. But she can really hold her potty for a long time. She doesn't have to go every 30 min or so like I had read they would. She really can wait an hour or even more, and obviously in her crate can wait longer.
The thing is, I do recognize this little whine sound she makes when she really has to go if I am right there when she does it. If I'm not, well, that's how we've had the three accidents.
And sometimes she doesn't make the sound at all, but when we take her out she goes potty immediately, like she really had to go.
How do I get her to really let us know she needs to go? We take her out the same door every time, tell her, "lets go potty," on the way and praise her effusely when she goes. I read about teaching them to ring a bell on the door when they need to go?
What are Peaches, Libby, et al, doing about that?

Edited to add:
Well, as soon as I was done typing this and she finished playing with her boy, I looked over and there she was, sitting on the mat by the back door. Let her out, she peed, and all is good.
Maybe she heard I was tattling on her....

Last edited by Barneysgirl; 12-15-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Showing her good "sit."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	123063  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM
aka Shelby

It sounds like she is doing good with potty training! I don't know, peaches we just take her out a lot. I don't really notice her needing to go that much but I just tell her to potty and she does it. I haven't really tested her to see if she can tell me or not.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM
aka Amanda

Hello October people! Sorry we've been MIA, it's been a whirlwind 24 hrs Charlie is doing great so far. No accidents during the day yet and two overnight, which were totally my fault. We crated him in our room and were ignoring his whimpers, well unfortunately he was trying to say it was potty time! Complete fail on my part - I will do better at watching him tonight to distinguish the "I wanna play" cry from the "it's potty time" cry.

The cats are doing pretty well with their new little brother. Charlie and I ended up "sleeping" downstairs so Adam could rest up for work, and the cats were very inquisitive all night. Between them running around and Charlie needing to go out, I'm running on about 90 minutes of sleep right now haha. Adam woke up this morning to find me and Charlie asleep on the floor of the puppy safe room, LOL!

The not-so-good things so far: a few people seem to be EXTREMELY vocal about their opinions on dogs, and not always in a good/useful way. Charlie had his exam today at a local vet, where I was essentially berated for having a purebred from a breeder vice rescuing. Every other pet I've ever owned has been a rescue, and there are several valid reasons we went the reputable breeder route, but I found myself doubting my decision and welling up in tears. I think it was the lack of sleep. Rescue is such a noble cause, but I wish it had been handled more professionally. Needless to say, we'll be finding a different vet.

On the whole, Charlie has just been such a joy. He's already met about 20 people, so we're off to a good start on socialization! Here's a picture I took of him this morning. The cat in the background is Toby!

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1355596615.734880.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	123074

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
aka Shelby

aww I love it! Don't worry about what those people say to you, you know what is right and what is wrong for your family. I definitely think it is lack of sleep. That is how I was earlier this week and I was very very weepy. I couldn't even stop moving or I'd fall to the ground. Good to say that now I feel a bit more rested (thought not like it was before she came, ha ha) but things are getting better and they will for you too. I'm glad you posted, I missed you!

LoveisGolden88 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM
aka Shelby

Finally I had to resize all these photos. that hasn't happened before and this is my crappy little camera.
So here is Peaches with her bully stick. She loves these things! She and Kat each have their own and sit here and watch me while I'm getting ready in the bathroom, ha ha.

Name:	with her sister.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	123087
Here she is at Petco. She didn't like that cart she wanted to walk around like Kat.

Name:	SAM_2045.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	123088
She is totally wiped out.

Name:	SAM_2047.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	123089
they love snuggling up.

Name:	SAM_2049.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	123090
She got in the mud in the backyard and then it was so much fun it was exhausting.

Name:	SAM_2059.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	800.2 KB
ID:	123091
Savannah snuggling our little butterball…

Name:	SAM_2066.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	123092

Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Aka Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneysgirl View Post
Can we talk potty-training? Maybe I should start a thread on the bigger puppy forum, where people who have been through this can weigh in.
Thelma Lou is doing really well about her potty. She has had a few (3 exactly) poop accidents in the house-all completely our fault. But she can really hold her potty for a long time. She doesn't have to go every 30 min or so like I had read they would. She really can wait an hour or even more, and obviously in her crate can wait longer.
The thing is, I do recognize this little whine sound she makes when she really has to go if I am right there when she does it. If I'm not, well, that's how we've had the three accidents.
And sometimes she doesn't make the sound at all, but when we take her out she goes potty immediately, like she really had to go.
How do I get her to really let us know she needs to go? We take her out the same door every time, tell her, "lets go potty," on the way and praise her effusely when she goes. I read about teaching them to ring a bell on the door when they need to go?
What are Peaches, Libby, et al, doing about that?

Edited to add:
Well, as soon as I was done typing this and she finished playing with her boy, I looked over and there she was, sitting on the mat by the back door. Let her out, she peed, and all is good.
Maybe she heard I was tattling on her....
Wow it's been awhile since I've posted. I just wanted to chime in and talk a little more about my little Libby. I call her little but she's really growing a lot!! I wish I had a scale to weigh her but I think she could be close to 15 lbs at 10 weeks. Maybe more. I'm not good at guessing that sort of thing. But she's big.

I want to offer some hope for you and Peaches. Because Libby now sleeps through the whole night from about 11 PM to 7:30 or 8 am. It does get better!!!! But I'm really glad to hear she's warming up to the crate. Is she still sleeping in your bed at night?

It terms of potty training we are doing so well. When put her paw on the bell range it, praised her. Said GO POTTY and brought her outside. Then of course treating and praising her after she went. And even if she didn't "go". Because it's the idea of ringing bell=go outside. She is completely trained. Although she did have one accident at the door while I was upstairs getting ready for work yesterday. But that was my fault. I don't watch her like a hawk anymore.

Our only issues are, at evening time she gets zoomies... BAD. Like a maniac she runs around and with slippery wood floors, slips and knock over everything She also gets more nippy during her "crazy spells". Ahhh what can you do. I just try to time her out until she relaxes. Which takes a few minutes. I know she gets plenty of exercise, its just her being hyper after I come home from work. She gets super excited!!!

Also I'm jealous about your pups that walk nice. Libby goes crazy on a leash. She loves being outside so much.

One other thing. I have not been diligent in obedience training. AGH!! She knows sit perfectly but I haven't had time to train her to do other commands. I feel like I'm dropping the ball in that area.

Anywho I'm glad to be back on the forum and following my October buddies. I love all your pups. Peaches and Thelma Lou are just precious. As is little Charlie!!!

P.S. I love that name for him. It suits him.

I will be posting more pics of my Libby soon. I'm going to start calling her "wild thing"

Blessings all!

Libby's Mom, Meg
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Fluffy little Charlie is so cute!!
That was the vet who said those things to you? Sheesh. I'm sorry. I hope you can find another vet that will love your puppy and support you.
That, plus some sleep, will make a lot of difference in your life.
Your cats are so much better than ours! One is very interested, but won't let Thelma Lou come too near. The other has been hiding out since she got here. Just comes out for dinner and breakfast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barneysgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM
aka Shelby

Wow, Libby is sleeping so long!! You are so lucky, I hope that at 10 weeks Peachy girl will be too. She is sleeping in her crate now. It was only one night of weakness that she slept in my bed. She doesn't whine anymore and goes to chill out there periodically during the day on her own. So here's hoping!
I love your name for her, Wild Girl!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement