Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#483 ·
The only thing that worries me is that we are dealing with 'teenagers' here now! Their stubbornness - and what we thought they knew - they don't wanna know now!
I'm confused by this. I've seen multiple people post that this is the "teenage" age. This doesn't make sense to me since even in dog years, they aren't teen's yet. Am I missing something?

P.S. How is Bailey doing with the loss of Allie?

#486 · (Edited)
P.S. How is Bailey doing with the loss of Allie?
Bailey is doing fine - I was looking at a video on my phone the other day; it was one when Allie was about two weeks post-op from her splenectomy. They were frolicking around the back yard. Bailey stared at it - when it ended she started whining. I hadn't heard that particular whine out of her. I think that was her way of saying she knew it was Allie.
Other than that I just don't know - I know when Bailey pulled out one of Allie toys - started playing with it - well it upset me - cause Allie always treated that particular toy "nice". We called it 'baby'.

It is so nice to have Bailey - for me - I have a new friend - and while Bailey is nothing like Allie; that's a good thing for me. I miss Allie very much - I received a beautiful letter from the vet that sent her to Rainbow Bridge and it was so beautiful. Telling me it was time for Allie and to be kind to myself.

Here's a new pic of Bailey - taken yesterday - she is still rather small compared to other almost six month old pups.

Attachments

#485 ·
My breeder joked that they are little hellions from the ages of 6 months to 13 months. Those are the worst. I know that Peaches is heading down hill. She has been testing her boundaries with me and trying to be the alpha of the household. Last night we had a bit of a showdown. It is crazy when she does this. She'll be completely perfect and then suddenly she gets super stubborn and stare me down. Or she'll ignore my commands.
I'm glad we're in obedience training during this period, that may help me out. I know I never experienced any real problems with Katniss and she'll be 13 months in a few weeks. I was training her and exercising her a lot and Peaches hopefully will be too exhausted to put up much of a fight...

#488 ·
She does - it seems that they kinda grow into their eyes and the rest of their bodies.
I laid Bailey on my lap last night and held her and her long legs hung over and while she was relaxed and totally okay with me holding her - I was amazed at how much she has grown since we got her ;-)

#489 ·
Bailey passed STAR puppy last night - they had little caps for the pups - Bailey was a hellion last night though. What commands? Look at my trainer? What trainer? I'm going to ignore you!
sigh... luckily she managed her commands when it counted and made it through. She really knows her stuff but I just don't know... she is such a piece of work when it comes to distractions - she doesn't even want to leave the pet store when it's time to leave. She digs her heels in and just stops - I look like a mean 'ol dog momma when I try to coax her and then start tugging on the leash to get her to go.

#496 ·
What a crazy last month. Libby has had chronic diarrhea. :yuck: We cant seem to beat this whatever it is. I thought maybe it was a food allergy then we switched foods and it still comes back. It is such a pain! She eats every little thing she can find from dust bunnies, to leafs, to fibers on a blanket. Its hard to know what it causing it because of everything she ingests. We try to watch her as closely as possible. But man, I am so tired of this ongoing battle.

Anyways its so great to see how grown up are your pups are! I love checking in here to see how they are doing :)

Blessings!
Meg

#499 ·
So sorry to hear that, Meg. We went through a period where it seemed like TL was eating only pumpkin and rice or that ID food for weeks. I think I own stock in that company! She's the same way-she will eat ANYTHING. I'll never forget after the brownie incident when the vet came in and said, incredulously, "She ate the charcoal right out of the bowl." I said, "Now you know what I'm dealing with!" ;)
We had been diarrhea-free for quite some time until this week. And we were able to pinpoint the cause-thank goodness! Peanut butter! We had laid off giving her Kongs because of her tummy trouble (we used to give her one stuffed with kibble and peanut butter in her crate when we left the house) but we were having guests and putting her in her crate for a while so decided to treat her. Sure enough, that night, telltale signs of oncoming diarrhea! I'm glad we figured it out, though. No more peanut butter for her!
We also made her some puppy treats with pumpkin. I found the recipe on the Internet. We've been letting her have those rather than dried liver or some of her other treats. She loves them and I think they help settle her tummy. I'll post the recipe here in case any of you want it. :)
I kinda miss chatting with you all-wish we could have a big October puppies play date!

#500 ·
Yes, please post the recipe!! I would love to make those.
I didn't know that about the charcoal. How funny!!!
Peaches is picky but Katniss will eat anything.
Peaches literally will leave a treat or turn her head if it isn't a treat she wants. She will wait it out to see if she can get something better, ha ha.

#501 ·
Pumpkin treat recipe

Here is the recipe I used to make the pumpkin treats for Thelma Lou. It was super easy. Ours were bigger (Army boots-see picture below) so we didn't yield as many but it was easy to whip up another batch.

PUMPKIN PUPPY TREATS
2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons dry milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour *
1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin to smooth. Stir in dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley (if using, optional). Add brown rice flour gradually, combining with spatula or hands to form a stiff, dry dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface (can use the brown rice flour) and if dough is still rough, briefly knead and press to combine.

Roll dough between 1/4 – 1/2″ – depending on your dog’s chew preferences, ask first – and use biscuit or other shape cutter to punch shapes, gathering and re-rolling scraps as you go. Place shapes on cookie sheet, no greasing or paper necessary. If desired, press fork pattern on biscuits before baking, a quick up-and-down movement with fork, lightly pressing down halfway through dough. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn biscuits over, then bake additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on rack before feeding to dog.

* Brown rice flour gives the biscuits crunch and promotes better dog digestion. Many dogs have touchy stomachs or allergies, and do not, like many people I know, tolerate wheat.

Makes up to 75 small (1″) biscuits or 50 medium biscuits

Please note: This is not professional medical advice. These biscuits are a healthy everyday treat, and useful for a dog with a sensitive stomach, or minor digestion issues. If your dog is showing any signs of serious distress, remove all food and contact your veterinarian immediately.

Here is the original link: Retriever Retriever, Pumpkin Eater | Simmer Till Done

Attachments

#506 ·
Milla did great. We picked her up at about 4pm and she has been napping most of the time since. She is eating and drinking very well. She is still a little out of it from the anesthesia, but they said it is completely normal for the first 24-48 hours. After that she should be back to normal, but we still have to make sure she doesn't run or jump for a week or so.

Good luck with Bailey. Keep ups updated on how she does.

#509 ·
since bailey is going to be a service dog - I put a vest on her today and we braved Target.
We stood by the carts/door and Bailey sat there so good! Kids and adults came in and Bailey didn't break at all!
I got a cart and we walked around Target - kids and people and FOOD all around! Bailey did well through out.

She did want the kids toys - a stuffed animal - she loves those! But, she came right back to task. I think Bailey was born to this!
I'm a proud momma!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.