Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#372 ·
Cute Charlie pictures! I love him!

And Meg, I just can't get over how much Libby reminds me of Thelma Lou. She was weighed last Monday at the vet at 13 weeks/2 days and she was 19.7 lbs. I weighed her tonight (one day short of 14 weeks) and she is 20 lbs. Not sure how close to 21 that is since my scale only does whole numbers.

She has a yucky looking sore on her leg we are dealing with now. It's not really a sore, actually. Some kind of weird bump. I am kinda worried about it. You can see my post in the health forum....

#374 ·
Hi, y'all! Charlie is so beautiful love his profile!

I weighed Peaches at 14 weeks and 1 day (last friday) and she was an even 24 pounds. She feels so heavy right now, it is harder and harder to carry her around :p I worry about their weight all the time too. Katniss is very large; she weighs 65 pounds at ten months but she is so muscular and she looks skinny when she gets out of the pond. My breeder isn't concerned so I need to relax about it, lol.

I would definitely agree that 3 miles is too much. All the dog trainers have told me that when a dog tells you she is tired than she is wayyy past her limit. So it is best to stop them before they show signs of exhaustion. Your puppy may act like she can go three miles but she probably shouldn't for the sake of those growth plates. I know that Katniss can swim in the pond until she passes out so I have to make her stop and we go home. She is all bummed when we go but passes out the minute we get home and bathed, lol.

Peaches seems to be doing better with her housebreaking but we will see, every time I think that she goes and has an accident, lol! They are both doing well with their school and I can't wait to move Peaches out of kindergarten and into real obedience training. I do the same training with Peaches at home that I work with Katniss in class but I think she will love being in class and prancing in front of the other dogs. peaches is a real show off!

Meg, Libby looks like she is getting ready to enter the lanky monkey phase! I think they all look so cute at their awkward stage! I can't wait to see Peaches get there, I didn't have it with Katniss, she was already grown up.

#375 ·
Glad to see all of the October pups are doing well. Hanna was weighed on her 12 week vet visit and was a whopping 22 lb. She is one great big ball of fluff. We are doing well with the housebreaking but I think that has more to do with me being trained that her. I watch her like a hawk and can identify the signs so that I can get her out in time. She doesn't signal by going to the door yet, just starts sniffing around.

Attachments

#380 ·
She slept for two straight hours after class and we didn't even do any real physical work! In fact, all of it was done on our living room rug. It was mentally exhausting, I guess.... (Thank goodness!!! I needed the break!;) )

Attachments

#386 ·
16 weeks tomorrow. 24.6 lbs.
Back to the vet today for a recheck of the mysterious lump on her leg. It is finally smaller and was pronounced to be some kind of toxic insect bite.
She also has had diarrhea the last two nights (thankful we have two crates since we've had to make the switch in the middle of the night). Fecal found excess bacteria and a bit of blood and vet asked me if she eats much grass. Um, YES. So off the antiobiotics for the bug bite (these were after the antibiotics for the eye irritation) and onto a new antibiotic for her tummy troubles.
Ugh.
Other than that, things are great. :)
Hope you all are doing well, too!

Attachments

Reactions: njoyqd
#387 ·
Your girl looks bigger than my chunky butt, but I think Hanna weighs more. She hasn't been for her 16 week visit yet. She was born on Oct 30. She was almost a November baby.
Your girl and boy are adorable.

Attachments

#391 ·
awww hey y'all! Welcome Caesar and Molson! What cute boys!

Thelma Lou is sure growing big!

We've been super busy with all things dog lately. last two weekends I've been to dog shows and in between tons of dog training. Not to mention my kids, house, husband and so forth!

Today peaches is 17 weeks and she had to make a trip to the vet. They weighed her in at 30.1 pounds. She cut her muzzle on a barbed wire fence in the woods we go to. They had to shave her muzzle about a dime size and glued the cut together. No biggie and she doesn't seem to care at all. I love our vet, I literally drove straight there after the woods and she looked at it.

Peaches is doing really well. Potty really clicked for her now. She hasn't had an accident in a long time. She doesn't sleep in the crate at night anymore either. We're going on five days but no night time accidents. She hasn't had an accident in the night before this so we were just testing it out. We block off our bedroom with a gate though, so she can't just go roaming the house. She and Kat basically just sleep together. She also climbs in bed with us by jumping up on an ottoman next to the bed. She licks us to death when she needs to go out in the morning. So cute.

oh, she graduated puppy kindergarten Tuesday and even did her leave it trick for the class so I was super proud of her her. She can stay now and has pretty good recall. We have her enrolled in the obedience class that Kat is in currently, but it starts after Kat is done. She loves crazy athletic things and she does all kinds of daredevil things like sliding down the playground slides over and over again WET so she'll haul butt faster. The only thing she doesn't do yet is swim. She can, I know this because she slipped, but is not interested in going in deeper than her chest, meanwhile Kat is a swimming fool! Hopefully with time she'll get over her nerves.

Anyway, I hope all of you are doing great! I would love to hear more from you all!

#394 ·
Last week at 18 weeks Libby weighed 33 lbs. I will find out tonight at 19 weeks what she weighs. I have to go to my in-laws house to weigh her because I don't own a scale!!! LOL For good reasons.... I gained like 7 lbs. this winter. Anyways, Libby is doing well. I can't wait for spring so I can really get outside and run/walk with the dogs. I have been so bad about training loose leash. So Libby still pulls like crazy. :/ Thinking about getting a gentle leader for her. What are your walking experiences? Probably great because you are all in puppy classes right?

Also...

I sent pictures of Libby to the breeder today and she sent back a picture of Libby's brother Rio (the breeder kept one) She said he is 52lbs!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

He looked mammoth in her picture. I think the other pups from her litter are just as big from pictures I've seen. Maybe we aren't feeding as much or she really is just the smallest in the litter.

We feed about 2.5 cups a day plus treats.(From the amount she poops you'd think we were feeding her a TON);)

Anyways, I love all your pups and I love checking in to see how they are all doing :D

#395 ·
My new girl - Bailey was born October 20, 2012 and gotcha day was yesterday. We had a great day yesterday - we drove 2 1/2 hours from BC back to Issaquah.
She had a great time with her big sister, Allie and rode in the back seat and was excellent considering her age. I couldn't get the kennel in the back of my car.
She is doing great - pottying outside - walking on a leash - however bounding at times. She is socialized well and just a sweetie!
Oops - my avatar is the new pup - Bailey - not a great pic but gives you an idea - I'm going to try and get Allie and Bailey together!

#396 ·
So I took Bailey out for a walk with Allie on one of those double swivel leashes. Allie is a service dog and an excellent calm dog. On the way into town Bailey was all over the place - wandering all over - I kept using the word 'heel' and of course Allie heeled very well and the double leash helped me control Bailey. Allie helped keep Bailey in line.
On the way back I shortened the lead on Bailey and kept using the word "heel" and Bailey was totally awesome. When I stopped I told her to 'sit' and Bailey sat! I am so amazed at how smart Bailey is.
I really feel that Allie is a good trainer for Bailey and of course I think the investment in the double swivel leash was good too!

#397 ·
Hi everyone! Life has had a way of just moving on, doesn't it? I feel like I haven't had any time to check in here at all lately.
Shelby, I LOVE the video of Peaches sliding-that is so cute! And Meg, your girl is just a petite one, I guess-kinda of like Thelma Lou.
Welcome to Bailey! Can't wait to hear more about her! Our puppy has the same birthdate. :)

A quick update on us: Thelma Lou had her shots today and she weighed 27 lbs. She is 17 weeks and 2 days. We are glad to get these shots done because now (well, in 10 days) she is off house-arrest and can go to the track with us and the parks and such!
We took her out in the woods last weekend, to a land-navigation course here. She had SO much fun, bounding over fallen branches and weaving around big tufts of grass. She had a huge grin on her face. :) She got so tired that she came to me and whined on our way back to the car so I could pick her up and carry her-first time she's ever done that.
And then there was even more excitement because we had a little snow. An afternoon of snow, to be precise. That was a whole new set of thrills!
Meg, we do still struggle with her pulling on walks-mostly if she sees a squirrel or bird, or leaf, or cool stick, or another dog, or some smelly garbage, or a mirage.
Ok, all the time. :)
The one thing that gives me hope is that occasionally when there is a person passing by (across the street-hasn't happened up close yet) she will sit when I tell her and wait till they pass. Her little bottom just wiggles the entire time and her tail is wagging like crazy but she stays in a sit. She doesn't do it every time, but often enough that I have hope she will be a "good citizen" one day....

I've looked at the gentle leaders, too, I think I will wait until she's bigger, though. She small enough still that she's manageable.
Today she met a 13-week old German shepherd puppy at the vet. His name was Zeus and he was gorgeous. He was as big as she is and his paws and ears were MUCH bigger. They liked each other. :) It was actually good for her because usually she spends the entire time in the waiting room trying to get the other people to pet her, but today she was distracted sniffing and watching Zeus.
She does have an "issue" who getting her belly rubbed. You can hardly ever pet her without her flopping over in her back and spreading her legs. Not the most lady-like behavior. ;-)

The rest of our life is boring. Just busy.

I think we all need to put up new pictures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.