Goldens Born on October 2012 - Page 11 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM
aka Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsofPeaches View Post
Honestly I don't remember. It just said infections can occur inside those cracks and there were a lot of people talking about how their dogs had the infections.
It sounds like that is a minor condition compared. I don't think I'd give up Peaches because of that but I would ask to have the full amount deducted from the cost of the dog to offset this known condition.
Maybe you should put this in the main forum and see what others suggest. I know there are a few vets on here. They would give good advice I think.

Seconding the advice to ask this question in the main forum! I hope that your calls to the vets go well today and that this is just a minor issue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM

I put it on the health forum-no info yet, but we'll see.
And I called the vet that examined her-they remember her and the vet is going to call me back when she's finished with a patient. So maybe I'll have some answers shortly.
FWIW, the boys woke up still counting down the days till Thelma Lou comes home. I broached the subject of looking at the other puppies and the little one teared up. Even my husband said, "But it just seems like she's supposed to be with us...." followed by, "The idea of a $2000 vet bill for a puppy we just paid for is not pleasant..."
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
aka Shelby

2000 vet bill? Do you really think it would be that much?

I would repost in the main forum, it gets more traffic. I think you may get more answers from the vet as well. I'd definitely ask about pricing there.

Kitty taking her bird for a joyride....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Aka Meg

I agree about getting the price deducted. Go to your vet once you get her, get a quote on how much it will cost and have the breeder reimburse you.

Good luck to Thelma Lou. I'll be praying for her!

Libby's Mom, Meg
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM

Great news! I just got off the phone with the vet who saw Thelma Lou on Monday. She is soooo nice, by the way. I'm glad, because we are still looking for a vet we like since we are new to the area.
Anyway, the biggest concern for the vet is that we do not breed her or plan on showing her, as this is a genetic condition. She is a non-conformist. Already causing trouble.
She said we could spay her between 5-6 months and go ahead and remove the baby teeth then (it is actually two teeth on each side and not one with a split. I guess the bottoms are just really tight together) so it's easier for the adult canines to come in. $25 to remove the baby teeth.
Then, worst case scenario, she does grow two adult canines in. She will need to go back in and under sedation to have one on each side removed. Leaving them in could result in periodontal disease, gum recession, etc, due to food and fur getting stuck between them. Estimated cost is under $200.
Early care is just brushing with a finger brush to help keep her gums stimulated and get her used to having her teeth brushed. Nothing special. Letting her play with ropes and things to encourage those baby canines to fall out quickly.

So, it looks like its going to be a non-issue! We had no intention of breeding or showing her-we just want a family companion-and it looks like even if things turn out worst case, it's not a big deal.
And we found a vet in the process. Kind of a win-win. And the vet said lots of nice things about the breeder, which made me feel good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barneysgirl For This Useful Post:
LoveisGolden88 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
aka Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneysgirl View Post
Great news! I just got off the phone with the vet who saw Thelma Lou on Monday. She is soooo nice, by the way. I'm glad, because we are still looking for a vet we like since we are new to the area.
Anyway, the biggest concern for the vet is that we do not breed her or plan on showing her, as this is a genetic condition. She is a non-conformist. Already causing trouble.
She said we could spay her between 5-6 months and go ahead and remove the baby teeth then (it is actually two teeth on each side and not one with a split. I guess the bottoms are just really tight together) so it's easier for the adult canines to come in. $25 to remove the baby teeth.
Then, worst case scenario, she does grow two adult canines in. She will need to go back in and under sedation to have one on each side removed. Leaving them in could result in periodontal disease, gum recession, etc, due to food and fur getting stuck between them. Estimated cost is under $200.
Early care is just brushing with a finger brush to help keep her gums stimulated and get her used to having her teeth brushed. Nothing special. Letting her play with ropes and things to encourage those baby canines to fall out quickly.

So, it looks like its going to be a non-issue! We had no intention of breeding or showing her-we just want a family companion-and it looks like even if things turn out worst case, it's not a big deal.
And we found a vet in the process. Kind of a win-win. And the vet said lots of nice things about the breeder, which made me feel good.

Woohoo! So happy to hear good news for Thelma Lou and for your family!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
aka Shelby

that is so wonderful! Im very excited for you guys to have this peace of mind. And to find the vet at the same time to boot! yay for great news!!!

Kitty taking her bird for a joyride....
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Aka Meg

So so happy to hear this!!! FIEW! Anyways I had a photoshoot of my girl. She is now 8.5 weeks old
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libby-29editbad.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	122571   Click image for larger version

Name:	libby-27editbad.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	122572  

Libby's Mom, Meg
The Following User Says Thank You to Libby Louise For This Useful Post:
LoveisGolden88 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Aka Meg

Last one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libby-34editbad.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	122573  

Libby's Mom, Meg
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
aka Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Louise View Post
So so happy to hear this!!! FIEW! Anyways I had a photoshoot of my girl. She is now 8.5 weeks old
Aww Libby is such a sweetheart! So am I the only one bringing home a male golden born in October? My little guy is going to have some beautiful forum friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveisGolden88 For This Useful Post:
Libby Louise (12-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement