Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#320 ·
Yes, that's what I read. I also read that it is easiest to stand them next to a wall and mark on the wall the top of the shoulders. Then you don't have to measure a wriggling little puppy. We weighed her today, too, and it came up 16lbs. She is 11 weeks, 3 days.

#322 ·
I just love Libby so much! She looks elegant. And she looks SO much like Thelma Lou to me. :) Tall and lean. Can you measure her to see how tall she is?
I am not envying that snow in your picture one tiny bit. Our forecast is in the upper 60's and 70's for the next week. :))))

Last night Thelma Lou was so good I thought something was wrong with her. I'm serious! Has anyone ever thought that? She was sitting on the mat in the kitchen not begging for anything, curled up by my feet when I sat down in the couch, didn't chew anything up all night. I thought certainly she was sick. ;)
Today she is back to her old self. My 9yo is doing a course called "Manners Made Easy" and she chewed up the top of his workbook when he left it out. She's apparently not that interested in manners.... ;)

#323 ·
And it happened.
She came and asked me to take her out to potty. :):--big_grin::artydude
Hubby took her out before PT this morning and put her in her pen to wait until I got up. I got up after an hour or so, gave her cuddles, did a little practice session with commands for green bean rewards, then sat down to do my Bible study. She played for a few minutes, then went to the door and I think she whined. While I was trying to decide if she actually whined, she came over to the sofa, sat down in front of it, whined loudly, then walked back towards the door. Took her out and she pooped!!

Success!!!

#324 ·
YAY Thelma Lou!!!! Awww so happy for you! :p:

I will try to measure Libby today. Today, she learned how to jump up on the couch. :eek: And because she jumped up, my Boxer Laina thought it would be ok too, so I had 2 pups playing on my furniture. :uhoh:

With my pups it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. LOL

Blessings!

#325 ·
awwww look how beautiful LL is! She is very elegant and dignified!
That is awesome about TL. I wish peaches made sound, she just stands there and stares me down. It takes me a few seconds to figure out what is going on, ha ha!

Puppy kindergarten class was hilarious! Peaches is such a nut that has to be front and center of everything. So the majority of the class was in chairs forming a circle. Mostly everyone was holding their pups or they were at their feet. Peaches played lots with her brother at first but then wanted to see what was going on. I told her to sit and she sat at the floor but she kept getting up to investigate. Then I said lay down so she laid down but she lays like a froggy all the time and she did a combat crawl to inch to the center of the circle. It was SO FUNNY. She kept doing it. Then the instructor took her dog to the middle and I pulled Peaches back. She was sitting there watching. The instructor was showing us sit with her dog. She said sit and suddenly Peaches lunged forward and sat right in front of the instructor and waited for the treat! Everyone kind of laughed and the instructor said, not you, silly.
Peaches is certainly a ham.

#326 ·
Park playtime

Reason 4,637 that I love North Carolina. Days in January like today, with short sleeves and sweet tea and park play dates.
We took a risk and took Thelma Lou to the playground a block from my house. We thought, since dogs aren't technically allowed on the playground, and we've never seen any there inside the fence, that it was probably a pretty safe place to play. We were the only ones there and didn't figure anyone would mind if we let our puppy have some play time. She LOVED it. There were swings and hills and bridges and tunnels, which kind of scared her, and a wooden maze and little things to jump over. It was the greatest 20 min of her life. I'll have to upload the photos separately because it still will only let me do one at a time, but I'll share a couple.

Attachments

#329 ·
Just found this thread! My Monty was born October 7, 2012. He's doing fantastic. Basically potty trained and we are starting his obedience training with a friend of mind who has been training dogs since she was little. He's doing pretty good in my opinion. I just can't believe how BIG he's getting!! I mean, I know he would get big, I just didn't realize it would happen so fast! LOL!

#331 ·
Welcome to Monty! That's a sweet picture of him sleeping. I love his dark golden color. That's what color Thelma Lou's mother is.

And I know what you mean about how fast they grow. We were at the vet today (see my thread in the main forum about her eye) and she weighs 17.6 lbs!! What??!! She is ginormous.

#334 ·
Just thought I'd share some photos from yesterday. We went to our breeder's house to let the girls play with their family and enjoy the warm weather and some swim time.
Here they are when we arrived. They all beat us to the pond and were already in and wet!
Vertebrate Dog Canidae Golden retriever Water

I think this is hilarious. Peaches is so fluffy and it looks funny when her legs get wet!
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Peaches is still apprehensive when it comes to swimming. This was deep for her!
Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Water

Drying off in the sun.

Chasing her cousin, Drama. She came from the litter born the same day. They were all together.
Vertebrate Mammal Wildlife Canidae Carnivore

Best Friends!

Meanwhile, the older girls were swimming. Katniss is in the back with the tennis ball in her mouth.
Duck Water bird Bird Ducks, geese and swans Water

Peaches is the one with her ear up.
Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog Carnivore

Then this morning Katniss went out again. She never gets tired of the water. She is waiting for us to throw her stick in.

And coming home she was whipped! She fell asleep with her head over the back seat. So cute!
Canidae Dog Car seat Car Vehicle

Thanks for looking!

#335 ·
Well.....a not so great update on Lib.

Two days in a row she peed on the floor!!:doh: I'm confused because she hadnt had an accident in WEEKS! And she's been so good at going to the door. Then she just went in front of my husband and I. :eek: We were shocked.

Well she has been doing fine today. So let's hope she just had an elderly moment. LOL

Anyways how are the other pups doing with pottying. Do you still get accidents from time to time?

#336 ·
oh man, I'm sorry she broke her running streak!
Peaches is by far NOT potty trained. She will go for a few days accident free and then one day have two or three accidents!
But they are getting farther apart and that is all I can ask for. She has been coming to get me now so that is a step in the right direction.

#337 ·
LOVE those pictures of Peaches and the big dogs! How fun!

And no, we are nowhere near potty-trained here. Lots of days with no accidents and lots of successful bell-ringing, but we are still instigating potty trips most of the time and like you guys, out of the blue, she'll just go on the floor. With her it's usually poop-she can hold her pee a long time.

But we still have tummy problems. :-/ I thought she was better last night. Even gave her a little dog food for dinner. I put her crate back downstairs because I hear every sound she makes at night and I needed to get some sleep because we had a crazy busy day today. Well, she apparently wasn't feeling better and ended up pottying in her crate for the first time. :( It was fairly first, apparently, but when hubby took her out, he said it was runny again. So it's back to rice and pumpkins today. I'm going to give the vet a call and see what they say. She hasn't pooped at all since then. She's drinking water, her gums look good, I don't know what it is.

Sigh.

#338 ·
Agreed, we certainly still struggle with accidents! Charlie probably goes 2-3 days without one, then he'll have one again. It's just a process, we'll get there! And I just love the pictures of Peaches swimming - so cute!

Our first day of obedience class went pretty well! Charlie seemed to pick up on the commands quickly, but barked when another dog was getting attention from the trainer. I think he's got only-dog syndrome LOL. But it's okay, just another thing for us to work on!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#339 ·
oh my gosh that is just crazy about Thelma. I know that Peaches had a tiny bought of runny poop for two days and I fed her pumpkin and it got better really quick. The breeder said I upped her food too soon. Have you upped her food level?

That is great about Charlie's class. I had a good time with Peaches and tomorrow is our next night! I think that goldens like being the center of attention. I can't wait to hear more stories :)

#340 ·
Oh no. Im sorry to hear that about Thelma. I wonder whats upsetting her tum. What food does she get fed. Is it a more recent thing? Rice and pumpkin are good though. I feel like Libby poops so many times a day. I look outside and there are piles. And I scoop everyday. How often are they supposed to be going? Growing up my family GR only went poop like 1-2 times a day. I think my Libby and Laina go like 5 times each. And I'm not feeding them a crazy amount!!

Never thought I would care about dog poop. LOL

I hope Thelma gets better soon. Was she crying in her crate because shes not feeling well?

#341 ·
She eats Simply Nourish LB puppy food, which is chicken and brown rice. I don't think that's the problem at all, since she transitioned to it very easily just a week after we had her. And we haven't increased the amount we're feeding her recently. Except that the other day we remembered she did have more treats (dried liver pieces) than usual. We took her on a walk and were working to get her better about walking right with us. That could be it, I suppose. My husband also said maybe it's the enormous amount of Bitter Apple spray she has ingested with all her chewing lately. ;)
She normally poops 3 times a day. Once after each meal. Lately she's either pooping a ton, or not at all. She's only pooped once since early this morning. Who knows?
I took her temperature and it was normal.
I guess she was crying. :( I didn't hear her at all. I feel terrible about it. Today she is alternately feisty and playful or very calm and nappy. We'll see how tonight goes. She's hungry, that's for sure.

#342 ·
Well, we made it through the night with no potty problems! We got up around 6:45 and she peed then played fetch for a little while. We came in and 10-15 minutes later she was at the back door whining. I took her back out and she pooped! It was back to almost-normal.
So maybe she's worked things through her system. I can tell she definitely feels better today.
Now we just have the eye drops to continue. And I'm going to keep treats/rewards to a minimum for a little while.
On to the day! :)

#343 ·
Peaches: Excellent pictures! I loved the one of the older dogs all swimming up to their necks.

Dug was doing amazingly well with potty training from day one, only two accidents in a week and a half time period, then he got a u.t.i, and there were quite a few pee accidents, but those don't count in my mind. ;) Since his u.t.i has cleared up, he has had one poop incident on the dining room floor~ thank goodness we have hardwood, otherwise the clean freak within may be having anxiety. We take him out non stop, which could be bad I suppose, because we're not really giving him much of an opportunity to actually "tell" us he has t go. We have considered getting the Tell Bell. How many of you are using the bell method and what are your thoughts/opinions on it?

I have been trying to upload pictures for days now, with no luck. :( I've tried from two different computers and each time it tells me there is a server error. Anyone have any idea how I can stop this from happening? I'm eager to share pictures of Dug in all his cuteness. :D

#346 ·
Libby uses bells to tell us when she has to go. She has had great success with it . It really helps when I am upstairs getting ready for my day and I can hear her ringing them downstairs. I would highly recommend them until they are fully trained and they can hold it a lot longer.

Good luck!

#344 ·
That is great that TL is on the mend! What a relief not to worry about every little thing you feed her, I know that is a pain.
I understand what you mean about Dug. I feel like we take Peaches out a lot but as our trainer says, its a lot faster to take them out than to clean up a mess!
We tried to do the bells but all Peaches wanted to do is eat the string holding them and play with them so I didn't pursue it further. Good luck on it! I hope you can upload pics soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.