Goldens Born on October 2012 - Page 10 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsofPeaches View Post
how many were in her litter?
9 in her litter. They have another litter, a week younger, with 6. If we choose one of the two males, he will come from that second litter.

I've googled it a bit and it looks like tooth extractions can run anywhere from $150-$200, depending on the tooth and other issues. Molars would be at the higher range, which is good, since this issue is with her canines. It's not a definite that she would have to have the extraction-she only has two teeth right now. It would all depend on what happens when her adult canines come in in several months. If that split is because of two teeth buds then she would get two adult canines and have to have them extracted.
It doesn't affect her eating at all-but it could bring some extra dental cleaning needs, if stuff got caught in the little crack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
aka Shelby

so would it be double for the two teeth? Also, how do you know that isn't going to be the same with the molars since you said she only has two teeth so far? I've never heard of this so I'm clueless.

Kitty taking her bird for a joyride....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
aka Shelby

I was googling and it said that major infections can occur. Poor TL. I don't know what to tell you, I don't know what I'd do if it was Peaches.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM
aka Amanda

I obviously don't know much about dog teeth, but will this be an issue once her adult teeth come in? Or will it just affect her baby teeth?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
so would it be double for the two teeth? Also, how do you know that isn't going to be the same with the molars since you said she only has two teeth so far? I've never heard of this so I'm clueless.
I think I'm being confusing. She has all her baby teeth-this is only affecting the two bottom canine teeth. Everything looks normal, except if you look closely at the two bottom canines (the pointy ones), they look like they are cracked from the top to halfway down. They are not misshapen-just have a little line that is the split. Does that make more sense?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveisGolden88 View Post
I obviously don't know much about dog teeth, but will this be an issue once her adult teeth come in? Or will it just affect her baby teeth?

The vet said the worst case scenario would be that she gets two canine adult teeth on each side of the bottom when her permanent teeth come in and would have to have the extra ones extracted.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 PM
aka Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneysgirl View Post
The vet said the worst case scenario would be that she gets two canine adult teeth on each side of the bottom when her permanent teeth come in and would have to have the extra ones extracted.
That doesn't sound like too bad of a worst case scenario. Do you know what you're going to do yet? I can't imagine it's an easy decision. We're already attached to our little guy and it would feel wrong to suddenly get a different puppy. But on the other hand, being saddled with health problems from day one could be overwhelming.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM

I don't know. We, and especially the boys, are already really attached to her. If that truly is the worst case scenario then I guess it's not too bad. But I've never seen it before and it doesn't seem like the vet had really seen it, either, although now that I think about it, the breeder may have mentioned a name for it? I can't remember for sure-I was kind of overwhelmed because she told us right when she got there and the boys were fawning over the puppy and I was taking it all in.
My husband and I will talk about it tonight-I'm going to call some other vets in the area tomorrow and then we'll decide.
Honestly, I can't imagine us taking another one.....she feels like part of the family already.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I was googling and it said that major infections can occur. Poor TL. I don't know what to tell you, I don't know what I'd do if it was Peaches.
What terms did you google?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM
aka Shelby

Honestly I don't remember. It just said infections can occur inside those cracks and there were a lot of people talking about how their dogs had the infections.
It sounds like that is a minor condition compared. I don't think I'd give up Peaches because of that but I would ask to have the full amount deducted from the cost of the dog to offset this known condition.
Maybe you should put this in the main forum and see what others suggest. I know there are a few vets on here. They would give good advice I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement