Join Date: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you all for you support,
we have decided to have our pet Suma put down today. The vet checked him recently and didn't believe that he was in pain. I am very grateful that i was given a gift in having him recover for 1 more week. He was almost back to his old self, he transformed from near death to a dog that would play tug of war and he even tried to hump my sisters leg so we thought that was a good sign!
I will leave a record for future reference for other people who may experience the same:
Our dog seemed a little down in the dumps in the preceding weeks, our family were very busy with work and could have spent more time with him. He refused food and vomited for a week and lost a lot of weight. He was also drinking excessive amounts of water. I came home from working away and took him to the vet (I suggest not waiting as long as we did). He was given an injection followed by tablets daily of antibiotics.
There was no initial recovery for 2 days, we thought he may have an intestinal blockage and was being poisoned so got him blood tests and xray of his bowels.
mass in area of pancreas, no intestinal blockages evident.
high CK, AST, GGT, ridiculously high Lipase, high Amylase, high Calcium.
The verdict was a possible pancreatic tumour and recommended an ultrasound to confirm. Possible flushing of Calcium suggested
Our family opted to bring him home. We realised he is filtering out the Calcium through his kidneys by excessive drinking of water. Were thinking about putting him down.
I put honey in his dog bowl and sometimes put an sugary icy block in it aswell. He was given approximately 5 lollies. He started to recover and ate white rice with chicken and veges. We gave him flax seed oil and fish oil. Moved on to pototo/carrot/sweet potato pancakes. Also pasta.
He was recovering well, but still lethargic in the mornings and at night. Lunch time was his best time. I played with him all weekend, he looked very happy. He started refusing the bland food and wanting the food us humans were eating especially fatty takeaway. We gave him a few chips (fries!) which he golloped up so fast. We also stopped the antibiotic pills half way thru the course (mistake I know), my mum felt that they could be making him sick, however in hindsight he got better and improved after he started taking them. I hope that by doing this we encouraged bacterial resistance. He started pooing again, however they were very orange and blackened in the sun. His urine was foamy.
I went away for work, said my goodbye, and he got very ill the next day. Vomiting yellow/orange again. What a rise and a crash. Refusing food. Took to vet and given more injections of antibiotics. No improvement. I have come home from work and my fluffy white teddy bear is very sick. His eyes look very puffy and he has lost more weight. He is still drinking excessively.
We are about to put him down at the vet. He is going to do it in the car and we are going to wrap him in a sheet and bring him home. He has had lots of visitors because he is a beautiful dog and wouldnt hurt anybody. He is 8 but very young at heart, he loves his teddy bears. He hasn't even snapped at us when forcing him to do things whilst he is ill (drink water, eat food, take pills etc).
He still wags his tale at visitors because he is so brave and good at hiding his sickness from us. I couldnt have asked for a better dog. He is named after Peter Sumich from the West Coast Eagles (Australian AFL football).
My biggest regret with my dog is giving him commercial dog food. In hindsight this may have upset his skin allergies and may have reduced his life expectancy. He got very sick initially after consuming a tin of dog food that he normally doesnt have. Also he ran into the lake which may have been polluted. These factors may have aggravated an underlying condition.
All I can say is give your dogs lots of cuddles and attention for me, and more walks. Dogs are our best friends and change our lives for the better.