Just a question... Non certified breeders - Ya or Na? - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ajax, ON
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just a question... Non certified breeders - Ya or Na?

Just a question... Just surfing the net and of course you come across all kinds of sites and ads selling puppies ranging from $100 - $2000 or more! Just curious about any stories, "good or bad" from people who (themselves or someone they know) has purchased from non-certified breeders. I am thinking the phrase "you get what you pay for comes to mind"...
lbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Barkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 3
Thanks: 2,402
Thanked 858 Times in 423 Posts
With a CKC certified breeder you can be assured that they have chosen a sire and dam to produce healthy and breed standard puppies. With the non certified breeder you take your chances.
Barkr is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 1
Thanks: 104
Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
I'm new to the whole thing myself, I have two puppies that are 9 weeks old. I've learned things from being on this site that has led me to believe my breeder is not one that is prob sought after. I paid $600 a piece and my boys are gorgeous, in great health, are akc with a decent lineage. I just wanted pets, I'm not looking to show or compete so this works for me. I will tell you though that in my search someone attempted to scam me...I replied to an ad on a hobby breeder website and exchanged emails and the guy gave me a song and dance about his wife having died and that she was the breeder and he just wanted a home for the pups he had. The next day he emailed me and said he chose me and to be home the next day for thier arrival. There were red flags and my husband googled the email address and discovered someone that was scammed by this guy. So always beware of dishonest people.
4theluvofgoldens is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Barkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 3
Thanks: 2,402
Thanked 858 Times in 423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgoldens View Post
I'm new to the whole thing myself, I have two puppies that are 9 weeks old. I've learned things from being on this site that has led me to believe my breeder is not one that is prob sought after. I paid $600 a piece and my boys are gorgeous, in great health, are akc with a decent lineage. I just wanted pets, I'm not looking to show or compete so this works for me. I will tell you though that in my search someone attempted to scam me...I replied to an ad on a hobby breeder website and exchanged emails and the guy gave me a song and dance about his wife having died and that she was the breeder and he just wanted a home for the pups he had. The next day he emailed me and said he chose me and to be home the next day for thier arrival. There were red flags and my husband googled the email address and discovered someone that was scammed by this guy. So always beware of dishonest people.
Here in Canada , CKC Golden pups start at around $900.+. A $600 pup here would be unregistered.
Barkr is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Preeminent Member
 
cubbysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lee's Summit, MO (formally Franklin, MA)
Posts: 12,801
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5,229
Thanked 4,403 Times in 2,604 Posts
AKC and CKC are just registries that register a dog and tracks its pedigree. It has nothing to do with being certified, whether the dog meets the breed standard, or the quality, health or temperament of the dog.

You do get what you pay for, because a good reputable breeder is not going to give away their dogs, it is very expensive to get both parents certified in hips, eyes, heart and elbows. Those are the basics, but there are even more tests that some breeders will do.

If you read through this forum, there is a wealth of information on buying from a reputable breeder. Many of years of experience. You will also see a lot of sad stories from people that bought from a pet store, puppy mill or backyard breeder. Yes, all these dogs are AKC or CKC, but they are not all bred the same way.

Marie, Brady, MacKenzie and Sailor
cubbysan is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cubbysan For This Useful Post:
Barkr (01-31-2013), Millie'sMom (01-31-2013), nolefan (01-31-2013), Sweet Girl (02-02-2013)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Preeminent Member
 
cubbysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lee's Summit, MO (formally Franklin, MA)
Posts: 12,801
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 5,229
Thanked 4,403 Times in 2,604 Posts
I think an average price for a well bred golden in the US right now is around 1500. That is less than what I have seen advertised in a pet store.

Marie, Brady, MacKenzie and Sailor
cubbysan is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 1
Thanks: 104
Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkr View Post
Here in Canada , CKC Golden pups start at around $900.+. A $600 pup here would be unregistered.
My pups are AKC registered, not CKC.
4theluvofgoldens is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ajax, ON
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkr View Post
Here in Canada , CKC Golden pups start at around $900.+. A $600 pup here would be unregistered.
Just curious, if a pup is $600 how do you know it's not registered? I know you can visit K9data.com to see the pedigree and clearances which is fabulous but how is the standard of price set?
lbear is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Barkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 3
Thanks: 2,402
Thanked 858 Times in 423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbysan View Post
AKC and CKC are just registries that register a dog and tracks its pedigree. It has nothing to do with being certified, whether the dog meets the breed standard, or the quality, health or temperament of the dog.

You do get what you pay for, because a good reputable breeder is not going to give away their dogs, it is very expensive to get both parents certified in hips, eyes, heart and elbows. Those are the basics, but there are even more tests that some breeders will do.

If you read through this forum, there is a wealth of information on buying from a reputable breeder. Many of years of experience. You will also see a lot of sad stories from people that bought from a pet store, puppy mill or backyard breeder. Yes, all these dogs are AKC or CKC, but they are not all bred the same way.
Well put, I was thinking about my response and was back to correct it.
Barkr is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Barkr For This Useful Post:
cubbysan (01-31-2013)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Barkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 3
Thanks: 2,402
Thanked 858 Times in 423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgoldens View Post
My pups are AKC registered, not CKC.
I figured that, I just noticed that she is Canadian and looking for local breeders I live in her area and know that any dog from a reputable breeder will not be offered for under $900. Because by the time the pup is 8wks they will have invested a lot of money in vet visits,food,laundry, possible stud fees, and a lot of time.
Dogs and everything else is more expensive here, that's why we all head south to shop LOL

On a another note you dogs are gorgeous.
Barkr is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Barkr For This Useful Post:
4theluvofgoldens (01-31-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome